GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,285
0 members and 2,285 guests
No Members online

Old 08-12-2005, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Opinion: Good idea or bad idea?

I just thought I would get the opinion of the GCers out there.

At one of the popular radio stations down here, one of the interns is going through rush, and chronicling her rush experience in a BLOG for the radio station's morning show.

Here is a link to the site. If it doesn't take you right to her blog, you might have to scroll down to where it says, "Briana's Rush Blog". There is a picture of her, and she tells where she goes to school and everything. Apparently she has already been "called out on it" (DJ's words). Not sure what was said or by whom.

This a very popular radio station that alot of college-aged kids listen to.

Briana's Rush Blog

My question is:

Do you think that doing this will have an effect on her rush? Good or bad?

I do think it will have some kind of effect, but who knows whether it will be positive or negative. I guess it depends on what she says.

Anyway, What do ya'll think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2005, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

As long as she is discrete, doesn't mention chapter names or specifics regarding her absolute impressions (like GC PNM's), I can't see where it would be different than posting here in R-Stories.

We'll see...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:26 AM

This reminds me of Tootie going through rush undercover on The Facts of Life.

I think she'll probably get questioned on her sincerity, and how much of it is to promote the radio station, even if those aren't her intentions.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
For those who don't want to have to search down the page for her blog, here is a direct link to it...http://internbriana.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2005, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nauadpi
For those who don't want to have to search down the page for her blog, here is a direct link to it...http://internbriana.blogspot.com/
Thanks for that!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds cheesy to me.

Last edited by honeychile; 08-12-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm withholding judgment till we see what she writes. It seems to me that this could turn out to be a positive thing if she handles it well -- there is so much negative speculation/rumor/gossip about what sororities do and what rush is like, and part of the reason those are taken seriously is that there's a dearth of honest, fair accounts out there. Think about how many young women go through rush each year, and how few articles or even novels depict what really goes on. There's hardly another activity that involves so many people and yet is such a closed book (and it's not like we're talking about ritual that has to be private). So I'd like to see more blogs and features in school papers and so forth expressing a variety of real experiences. Not only are they interesting to read, but they could go a long way toward countering all the myth and innuendo that's out there.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
For someone that says she has wanted to rush for such a long time, she seems woefully underinformed. I mean, she doesn't know what clothes she'll need? Um, how about checking your Recruitment information packet or the school's web site?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

In explanation of my above remark, I know more than a couple people in radio. If they didn't think they could make a big score on this, they wouldn't do it. In other words, they've already decided the outcome - if Briana is going to really do this normally and see if she gets a bid, or go the geek route and still see if she gets a bid. Either way, I'm really leery about how this will end up.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

If done correctly, I think this will do a world of good for recruitment. We all know that there are those "maybe joiners" out there who would join a sorority, but don't want to deal with formal recruitment. By demystifying it a bit, it may help others see that it is a system that (for the most part) works. Course...it may scare a few off as well.

One person posted a comment that said (in part) "You cannot mention any national fraternity or sorority by name without written permission of that particular organization. "

How can she be forbidden to post names of groups without their permission if she's writing a personal account? If I followed that sentence to a T, that means that I can't mention that my husband is a Sigma Chi right here in this post without the Sigma Chi HQ permission. That's just silly to me.

This commenter also said "you are being watched very closely by the ladies in San Marcos"...which kinda sounds stalkerish. But probably very true.

PsychTau
Old 08-12-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychTau

This commenter also said "you are being watched very closely by the ladies in San Marcos"...which kinda sounds stalkerish. But probably very true.

PsychTau
This is exactly what my concern was. Her picture is on there and everything, and word of this is going to spread. I would be willing to bet that every girl in every house on the TxState campus will know who she is when she walks through their door. And if she DOESN'T make the greek system sound rosy and every chapter sound like the best women on the planet, then she could easily find herself bid-less.

This is not something that I would suggest for someone who is serious about wanting to join a sorority. (And it seems like she is.) I would hate to see her lose out because she did this.

Yeah there are quite alot of PNMs on GC who tell their stories in the Recruitment Story forum, but it is for this exact reason why they are encouraged to keep personal details (even the name of the school) out of their posts.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if she posts after recruitment, the chapter she joins might not be thrilled with some of her comments. When I was an undergrad, a girl at my school wrote an article for the student newspaper about her rush experience. Some of her comments, even those about the house she ended up joining, were kind of questionable.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychTau
One person posted a comment that said (in part) "You cannot mention any national fraternity or sorority by name without written permission of that particular organization. "

How can she be forbidden to post names of groups without their permission if she's writing a personal account? If I followed that sentence to a T, that means that I can't mention that my husband is a Sigma Chi right here in this post without the Sigma Chi HQ permission. That's just silly to me.
She can legally say what she wants. A lot of people are misinformed about usage like that, including our own HQ sometimes. Groups could strongly frown upon but they don't have a leg to stand on unless she says something false. It's just a scare tactic.

I don't blame the greeks for looking out. It's a publicity stunt, regardless of her intentions being honest or not. It's very difficult for the sororities to know her intentions.

Someone referred her here, lol, that could be interesting...

For anyone curious, they have ADPi, AXiD, XO, DG, DZ and ZTA. Wonder how competitive of a rush it is?

She got her pref dress at Charlotte Russe. Ick. Sorry, personal dislike there.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Right where I want to start Fresh and move futher from...
Send a message via Yahoo to Pearls4Life
Thumbs down hmmmmm

Talking about her life is one thing....possibly telling rush information and getting caught up is another. I say not good...but hey I am just a greek member...who am I to say. Her line sisters and big sisters may feel muchhhhh different!

"Success is by "DESIlRE" !!!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
For anyone curious, they have ADPi, AXiD, XO, DG, DZ and ZTA. Wonder how competitive of a rush it is?

She got her pref dress at Charlotte Russe. Ick. Sorry, personal dislike there.
I am not exactly sure how competitive it is, but I do know that sororities are a big deal at Tx State. I am actually pretty curious to see what she has to say about my sorority.

And co-sign on the ick. Charlotte Russe is fine for little going out shirts that you won't really wear more than a few times, but for something NICE? Definately wouldn't be my first choice.