GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 799
0 members and 799 guests
No Members online

Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
I chose music because it's what I'm intersted in doing for a living, if I'm successful at it. I'm only on this thread asking questions about your professions, because this would be a plan B for me if plan A (music) doesn't work out.

Think Buddhist Monk? wtf?

I see what you mean about getting involved. No, I've never worked at a hospital before, so I don't have that kind of experience.

Most of, if not all of the things you guys are talking about I'm not familiar with. I don't know any of the terminology so a lot of the things that are mentioned are completely foreign to me. I've read some of the science books and magazines you're referring to. I've heard of some of the biotech companies too. I would even consider that as an option. The bottom line is most music majors very rarely end up using their major after graduation, so I'm asking about your professions just incase. I don't think the work hours would really phase me. I've pulled double shifts where I work now, and learning the material is just something that I would have to get used to.

I don't have a game plan as of yet. I'm still going to concentrate on music and I'll just go from there. What does music have to do with the study of medicine? You're telling me I would have to apply my music to my disease du jour??? Is this some kind joke? Yeah, I feel pretty dumb asking a message board about medical school, but I'm serious, the thread is here, and you guys are real people in the field so why not ask? I'm sure it is tough to get in, but sht happens. I'm sure there are a lot of people that got in that didn't think they would get in with very little experience to go with it.

I appreciate the info. I'll keep this in mind. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I think I'm naturally intelligent to some degree. If the study of music doesn't work out for me, it may not necessarily be the medical field as an option. I would even look at some of the biotech companies I read about. I would simply be looking for a way out of dead end jobs, which a lot of music majors end up doing if they don't make it in the music industry.
How about describing to us what your understanding is on medical school admissions or biotech companies?

Maybe I am unclear in explaining my thoughts to you...

I know a TON of research scientists who also play in bands as their hobby... IDK why they do it, other than they were taught how to play said instruments, they love it, and they continue...

They work in research because IDK, they like it? My reasons are different and they changed. Oh well.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just curious to know what everybody does on here. BigRedBeta, I think I read that you're about to be a pediatrician, but I was curious to know what AKA Monet does for a living. Cheefulgreek, what is your specialty that you were referring to? kstar you're also a vet too. Correct?
Internal Medicine (veterinary cardiologist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
I'm a dude.
lol lol
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post

Music eh? Why music, just asking?

Certain types of music, namely that which activates the Delta waves in the brain, is very healing. Think Buddhist Monks.
While this statement is true, the "Buddhist Monks" comment still made me laugh so freaking hard. lol AKA_Monet, you are hilarious!

Quote:

Think Buddhist Monk? wtf?
lol lol

A friend of mine was installing my anti virus protection on my computer and doing some other things to it that I wasn't familiar with since I'm computer illiterate, but my God did I miss a lot.

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 02-23-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
While this statement is true, the "Buddhist Monks" comment still made me laugh so freaking hard. lol AKA_Monet, you are hilarious!
Haay!!! What's wrong with the Buddhist Monks when they chant? I actually think it's cool.

There is the Australian Didgeridoo...

Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Haay!!! What's wrong with the Buddhist Monks when they chant? I actually think it's cool.
No it's not that. It's just the way it read. AKA_Monet, I love your posts, lol because they're SO serious, but yet at the same time, a lot of them make me laugh, because you'll talk about science and the post will be long (like mine) but eventually within the post, something really hilarious will pop up. What makes it funny to me is because you're not trying to be funny, you're actually serious and mean well.

I still think you're the best!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just curious to know what everybody does on here. BigRedBeta, I think I read that you're about to be a pediatrician, but I was curious to know what AKA Monet does for a living. Cheefulgreek, what is your specialty that you were referring to? kstar you're also a vet too. Correct?
No, my title is RVT VTS (EEC), BS.

I am not a vet, I am a Registered Veterinary Technician. I can do almost everything a vet can do except diagnose, prescribe, and perform surgery. I have a Veterinary Technology Specialty in Emergency and Critical Care.

I have multiple undergraduate degrees (curse of not knowing what you want to do and liking school), but the one that is pertinent is a Bachelors of Science in Zoology- Biomedical Studies.

I am currently working on my Masters of Science in Zoology, because I was was wait-listed to my first choice vet school, and I just couldn't bring myself to accept the second choice.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar View Post
I just couldn't bring myself to accept the second choice.
Don't want to be a cowboy, eh?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
How about describing to us what your understanding is on medical school admissions or biotech companies?

Maybe I am unclear in explaining my thoughts to you...

I know a TON of research scientists who also play in bands as their hobby... IDK why they do it, other than they were taught how to play said instruments, they love it, and they continue...

They work in research because IDK, they like it? My reasons are different and they changed. Oh well.
Your points were clear, except for the medical, scientific jargon you were using. I don't have an understanding of medical school admissions, but I have more of an understanding now that some of you explained it to me. I don't know much about biotech companies. Just some of the stuff I read.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your points were clear, except for the medical, scientific jargon you were using. I don't have an understanding of medical school admissions, but I have more of an understanding now that some of you explained it to me. I don't know much about biotech companies. Just some of the stuff I read.
Well, don't you think you need to learn some of the medical and scientific jargon before applying yourself to either field? I am not talking about writing a pathologist's run on sentences, I just talking about basic concepts, i.e. what is macromolecules, eukaryotes, Kingdom Mammalia, etc. or maybe pH and have seen the periodic table and know what are salts, alkali's and a proton... Or maybe the basic mechanical force equation, elasticity, thermodynamics? Maybe...

Even in biotech, if you don't know what your pH should be, how can run at 384 chip analysis on your microRNA translation state array? These things go for $5000 a chip these days.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, don't you think you need to learn some of the medical and scientific jargon before applying yourself to either field? I am not talking about writing a pathologist's run on sentences,
lol lol lol
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Don't want to be a cowboy, eh?
No, a Tiger. I didn't even apply to OSU.

(And actually, I have since changed my list of schools anyways. Adding UPenn and A&M underneath MSU.)
Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar View Post
No, a Tiger. I didn't even apply to OSU.

(And actually, I have since changed my list of schools anyways. Adding UPenn and A&M underneath MSU.)
I'm starting to see that getting the H out of Oklahoma is your M.O. here
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm starting to see that getting the H out of Oklahoma is your M.O. here
Well, yes and no. I don't feel that I can get the same medical training in state, especially since OSU has a big focus on food animal production and equine. However, the biggest thing is diversification from where I am getting my degrees. I have multiple undergrad degrees from OU, am getting a Masters from OU, so I have been highly encouraged to get my terminal degree from a different school, since I want a DVM/PhD. (OSU doesn't have the PhD program that I would prefer either.)

Besides, I'd like to come back here to practice and teach.

Last edited by kstar; 02-25-2009 at 11:43 PM.