GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 862
0 members and 862 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
That is heartbreaking and so unlike the Theta that I love.
My daughter is a Theta. This is so unlike the Theta that she knows, and I have grown to admire through her affiliation. Has there been a recent change in leadership?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Thetalady. I, too, am grieving for these girls. Upper leadership within the chapter may have had some ideas, but after talking to some friends with daughters in the chapters, it appears the general membership did not. They were just blind sighted.

One one hand, I understand that if your chapter is struggling on a campus, it can be discouraging for the girls. I am thinking of one chapter on my daughter's campus. During recruitment, several PNMs were downright rude to the ladies of that house. My daughter was so mad at this...and her momma too. Part of me hurts for the girls of these two schools who were subject to some of the ugliness the ladies of this chapter experienced. There is nothing worse than opening your home to guests that spit in your face (figuratively) and then with RFM, you are required to invite some of them back over and over again. This taints the experience for the girls who truly want to be at your parties.

I'm not sure the Clemson or Ole Miss leadership ever got a break as I am sure they were constantly pressured to COB. This is not an experience any girl should encounter and if I were a betting girl, I would guess that this was at the forefront of the Grand Council's mind when they were assessing the situation.

On the other hand, Theta encourages leading women and in some cases have been trailblazers. From what I understand, some of the women in these chapters were not "traditional sorority girls." They were smart women who valued the 4 points of the kite as is evident in the fact that they were top fundraising chapters despite their size relative to other chapters on their campus. They valued sisterhood above social status and may have just been ahead of their time in areas that are slow to change. It's a sad fact that sometimes the best people are often overlooked because they don't march to the beat of everyone else's drum.

I am just so sorry for the way this was handled. I am glad that they are giving the Clemson girls the ability to select their closure date. Part of me wondered if it were possible to allow a chapter to "age out" by simply not participating in recruitment, but then my brain starts spinning with the negatives of that option...

This last weekend, I attended an event at my daughter's chapter. They are very strong and highly respected on their campus and that is what I wish for every chapter. Hopefully some good will come from all of this. I can only assume that Grand Council has a great amount of wisdom and they see things we do not. I hope that this is the last time I will see Theta and closure in the same sentence on Greekchat for some time and that my sisters at Clemson and Ole Miss find new and unique ways to celebrate their sisterhood.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
My daughter is a Theta. This is so unlike the Theta that she knows, and I have grown to admire through her affiliation. Has there been a recent change in leadership?
Yes, we had a new Grand Council elected in July 2018 for a 2 year term.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone know or want to share what the new GC's platform was? What attracted the membership to install them as leadership?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Banned

Obviously Theta Nationals cares more about Clemson Theta’s Greekrank standing than anything else. It also sounds like they have their own beauty standard recruitment policy.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempk View Post
Obviously Theta Nationals cares more about Clemson Theta’s Greekrank standing than It sadddnesanything else. It also sounds like they have their own beauty standard recruitment policy.

It saddens me so to read this. Back in the day, there was one and sometimes two GLOs that were about a third smaller than the other sorority chapters on my campus. But they didn't let that get in their way, and the campus atmosphere was such that they weren't disparaged by the other GLOs. They had a wonderful sisterhood, which is what some PNMs value above all else. Why can't people let these chapters be who they are and value what they are? It seems to me that there should be room and a group for everyone.

I have to wonder if the Panhellenics at both Clemson and Ole Miss took any proactive measures to stop the kind of toxicity directed at one group at both of these schools.

Chi Omega
Old 11-16-2018, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
[SIZE=3]
I have to wonder if the Panhellenics at both Clemson and Ole Miss took any proactive measures to stop the kind of toxicity directed at one group at both of these schools.
NPC actually came to Ole Miss about 4 years ago to address the vicious behavior in the Greek system with all of the chapters. It clearly didn't help much.

It was not just Greek Rank and it was not just the sororities. Many of the fraternities were horrifically mean to the Ole Miss Thetas. I am appalled that they were allowed to get away with their cruelty. To my knowledge, nothing was done by the University specifically regarding those incidents. The school administrators have sort of shrugged and say they can't do anything to make the students be nicer to each other.

Finally about 2 years ago, Sigma Chi went too far in making sexual comments during the annual Derby Days Queen competition. Derby Days is no longer permitted at Ole Miss as a result.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta1234 View Post

I am just so sorry for the way this was handled. I am glad that they are giving the Clemson girls the ability to select their closure date. Part of me wondered if it were possible to allow a chapter to "age out" by simply not participating in recruitment, but then my brain starts spinning with the negatives of that option...
If you don’t have a house to maintain, or are in dorm wings that can gradually decrease the amount of rooms used, I wouldn’t see why ever not. It would allow the women to spend their chapter’s last days with a focus on fun and sisterhood, instead of being worried and stressed and forced into holding near constant open bid parties. Contrary to what some people believe, there is no minimum amount of time that must lapse before recolonization. And if the women are on campus anyway, what’s the difference? Keeping the chapter open might be a better alternative as the women would still be bound to follow risk management policies. I’m not sure how much “unaffiliated collegians” are subject to those type rules.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

According to my daughter, they gave them to end of the year because they already initiated their new member class a few weeks ago. Since Ole Miss had not and their new members were given option to NOT be initiated, they have only until the end of the semester. I'm not sure how it works at Ole Miss in terms of when/who lives in the house, but at Clemson it is typically the sophomores and after that year they move off campus. That is why my daughter is doing - she's living with 3 of her sisters next year, across the street from a house with 5 others
Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you don’t have a house to maintain, or are in dorm wings that can gradually decrease the amount of rooms used, I wouldn’t see why ever not. It would allow the women to spend their chapter’s last days with a focus on fun and sisterhood, instead of being worried and stressed and forced into holding near constant open bid parties. Contrary to what some people believe, there is no minimum amount of time that must lapse before recolonization. And if the women are on campus anyway, what’s the difference? Keeping the chapter open might be a better alternative as the women would still be bound to follow risk management policies. I’m not sure how much “unaffiliated collegians” are subject to those type rules.
Not sure if you've ever dealt with a recolonization with women from previous classes (who are basically alumnae as collegians) still on campus but it is a nightmare and it never works (hositility, obvious us. v. them, the hurt is still fresh, reputation persists, etc.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Not sure if you've ever dealt with a recolonization with women from previous classes (who are basically alumnae as collegians) still on campus but it is a nightmare and it never works (hositility, obvious us. v. them, the hurt is still fresh, reputation persists, etc.)
Between 33girl's post and the one she was commenting on, interpreted it as: Let these women continue operating as a chapter, each class will graduate, no one will be recruited, and eventually the chapter will close on it's own. Then recolonization could occur within a year or two.

But perhaps I'm mistaken.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Ohhhh yeah. I was right in the middle of that shiz and would never ever advise it. I just mean that keeping the chapter open and not participating in rush is no different than closing the chapter and the women still being on campus. The women are still going to be on campus and graduate at the same rate. It’s their presence that creates the tension, not whether the chapter is actually open or closed. Keeping it running for say 2 more years isn’t going to postpone a recolonization. (I.e. there is no written rule that a chapter must be closed for x years.)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Clemson doesn't have a chapter house, right? So with such a low operating cost, how could the financials have been THAT bad to warrant a full closure? I think there's something more to the story.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that these things happen not so much for financial reasons as for PR reasons.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Banned

Theta cares more about Greek rank!! They couldn’t take another mature chapter being considered bottom tier.
Closed Thread