GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,755
1 members and 1,754 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Wink Not Your First Choice?

Believe it or not, a lot of women who are the most enthusiastically greek were released from their first choice, or opening their Bid only to find... Second Choice. It reminded me of the essay that follows. Obviously, I'm not saying that any PNM or New Member is "special" - it's a story of the Road That Had To Be Taken:

WELCOME TO HOLLAND

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability--to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this...

When you are going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip--to Italy. You buy a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum, the Michelangelo David, the gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian.
It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands, the stewardess comes in and says "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!" you say. "What do you mean, Holland? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different
place.

So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would have never met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look
around, and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills, Holland has tulips, Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy, and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest fo your life, you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

The pain of that will never, ever, ever go away, because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss. [Note: I disagree with this part, but I wanted to keep this intact!]

But if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things about Holland.

written by Emily Perl Kingsley
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Fabulous analogy! Thank you!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Fabulous analogy indeed.

/swerve
Too bad she chose one of the most beautiful and cultured countries in the world for this analogy , AND got the name of the country wrong. Not Holland. The Netherlands. Like saying Dakota when you mean the United States of America.

Essay should have been called "Welcome to Belgium"
/end swerve

Last edited by Tulip86; 08-29-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

that is an excellent analogy about many parts of life!

Personally, I've come to prefer the "Hollands" in my life I think part of maturing is accepting that God's plan (or fate, karma, whatever you believe in) is better than yours
Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

As a non-religious person, one of my favorite sayings is "the fates lead those who will. Those who won't they drag."
Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm one of those people who didn't get a bid from my first choice - but I love where I ended up. It really is that cliche, "It's not what you've just become, it's what you've always been." My maid of honor was one of my pledge class sisters, and I continue to contribute to my sorority and my chapter as an alumna.