GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,118
2 members and 1,116 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Rush at Kansas

My cousin is a senior in high school and he will be attending Kansas next fall. He's interested in joining a fraternity and has already checked out the websites of the chapters there. Everyone in my family tends to go to the same handful of schools, but no one has ever gone to Kansas so he's not sure what to expect as far as recruitment goes...so I thought I'd ask GCers! If anyone has any insight or helpful information, I would appreciate it! Feel free to pm me. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

The Sigma Nu effort there is a recolonization. They have an amazing alumni base. The chapter house, I hear is pretty remarkable.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter houses at KU are all pretty amazing.

Lawrence is a pretty hippy town, though a lot of fun. There's a fair amount of anti-greek sentiment on campus according to a few of the people I know who were in chapters. It's not intolerable but definitely there.

Rush is pretty much done through the summer. and IIRC most freshmen guys will live in the chapter from day one. Pretty laid back. He needs to register with the office of greek life so that his name gets on the lists and such.

Most of the partying is done in the chapter houses. Most of my friends did not join chapters and I definitely heard about it when they guys couldn't follow their girlfriends into parties.

Lawrence is pretty lax on fake id's - some bars more than others for sure, but if he plans on partying, he'd be wise to get a believable fake ID (I've had some experiences when the fakes weren't even believable and I or people I know got in).

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, Tell your cousin congratulations for picking KU. Funny enough, I'm a member of the Sigma Nu House which was mentioned above. Everything he said is true, and if your cousin is interested in Sigma Nu specifically then pm me or something and I can definitely give you more info for him.
Here is a website with many helpful items on it.
http://www.kugreek.org/ifc_join.html
It has:
Summer Formal Recruitment Registration Sheet (in case he hasn't signed up yet, the link is on the right of the page)
The IFC recruitment guide (Which includes Bio's of all the houses and an overview of what Formal recruitment schedule is. This link is also on the right)
If there are any more questions let me know!
Old 05-24-2008, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

K U has a very good greek system with a huge Basket Ball folowing and now even Foot ball is stronger.

The houses are fairly spread out and the campus on big hills! LOL!

Knowing only the LXA house, I have looked at many others there including Male and Female GLOs through their web sites.

His best bet is to look at as many as he can. Ask people on campus what they think of each one considering hazing (yes, it will go on in some) unfortunatly.

Having the largest house or members does not mean it would be the best fit. The members as individuals are the main thing and since most are of National scope that would be a minor item I would feel.

At least Kansas City is near for weekend trips even though Lawerence has a pretty big social area except for the age requirments for any alchohol consumption!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-20-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Recent June 20 '08 article about fraternity rush at U of Kansas (this is about a "formal" rush with events primarily for potential new members living far from Lawrence, apparently). There's also some info about Sigma Nu's progress in recolonization and pledging:

http://www.kansan.com/stories/2008/jun/20/rush/
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't want to turn this into a Sigma Nu thread, but hazing is a big issue when considering a fraternity. SN was founded in 1869 as a protest movement to hazing at Virginia Military Institute. Because of our herritage and history, if there is a hint of hazing at a SN chapter, Headquarters will shut them down. That's what happened a few years ago at Kansas.

That being said, Sigma Nu is a fresh organization with new people committed to our founding principles. I think it is fair to say there will be no hazing there. So a new member would have the benefits of a mature chapter alumni backing (going back to 1884 I think) and living in the old governors mansion, yet it is a new organization with a fresh attitude. That will be a good experience for the right young men.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeta View Post
Lawrence is pretty lax on fake id's - some bars more than others for sure, but if he plans on partying, he'd be wise to get a believable fake ID (I've had some experiences when the fakes weren't even believable and I or people I know got in).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
At least Kansas City is near for weekend trips even though Lawerence has a pretty big social area except for the age requirments for any alchohol consumption!
Tom, there ya go, I made that easy for you. And learn how to spell.

And to the rest of you, how about sending to the biggest rush mistake thread http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=92507, instead of using GC to recruit your members.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedzman View Post
I don't want to turn this into a Sigma Nu thread, but hazing is a big issue when considering a fraternity. SN was founded in 1869 as a protest movement to hazing at Virginia Military Institute. Because of our herritage and history, if there is a hint of hazing at a SN chapter, Headquarters will shut them down. That's what happened a few years ago at Kansas.

That being said, Sigma Nu is a fresh organization with new people committed to our founding principles. I think it is fair to say there will be no hazing there. So a new member would have the benefits of a mature chapter alumni backing (going back to 1884 I think) and living in the old governors mansion, yet it is a new organization with a fresh attitude. That will be a good experience for the right young men.
Not everyone would look upon this as a good thing, especially the fact that your chapter there is a colony (i.e. they are going to suck for 5-10 years.)
Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
I'd usually agree with you on re-colonization timelines. However, I dont' think it will apply to that chapter. They have some built in advantages.

Should be interesting to watch.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Not everyone would look upon this as a good thing, especially the fact that your chapter there is a colony (i.e. they are going to suck for 5-10 years.)
This is one of the most foolish posts ever...

Entreprenureal men seek fresh opportunities. Therefore, Sigma Nu will pull some dynamic leaders right out of the gate. Sigma Nu dominated at Kansas for decades as one of the top fraternities. They have a huge pipeline of legacies that will want to join. They have a great chapter house. They have unlimited alumni resources. Sigma Nu is one of the strongest and most highly regarded national organizations. Sigma Nu has a four-year ethical leadership development program (LEAD) which will be very attractive to mature, ambitious men.

Suggesting "they are going to suck for 5-10 years" is foolishness. I can cite plenty of examples where that thinking is just plain wrong. Check our www.fsupikes.com, for example...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Entreprenureal men seek fresh opportunities. Therefore, Sigma Nu will pull some dynamic leaders right out of the gate. Sigma Nu dominated at Kansas for decades as one of the top fraternities. They have a huge pipeline of legacies that will want to join. They have a great chapter house. They have unlimited alumni resources. Sigma Nu is one of the strongest and most highly regarded national organizations. Sigma Nu has a four-year ethical leadership development program (LEAD) which will be very attractive to mature, ambitious men.

Suggesting "they are going to suck for 5-10 years" is foolishness. I can cite plenty of examples where that thinking is just plain wrong. Check our www.fsupikes.com, for example...
I can cite a lot of fallacies with that. People who would otherwise be joining a top-tier house do not join a colony. If I was a legacy to a house that was a colony and got a bid to an established top-tier house, that's where I would be. Sigma Nu (no offense intended) is not one of the organizations that is great everywhere, their Ole Miss chapter may be one of the best chapters of any fraternity in the nation, but top to bottom there are a number which are better (and the recruiting on a greek forum would tend to back that up). Most people looking for a traditional Greek experience aren't looking for a leadership development program instituted by Nationals. And FSU Pike isn't top-tier.

I agree that they will have a very nice house and a rich alumni base, but ANY colony is going to suck for a pretty good period of time. Those who join in the first few years back on campus will have all graduated before it's a good house again.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FSUfiji
Quote:

just bc you have a huge house full of 200+ brothers who dont know each other that doesnt mean that you're top tier
Florida State University
Old 06-25-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FSUfiji
obviously **looks at his sig**

just pointing out that his example......wasnt a good one
Florida State University
Old 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
I can cite a lot of fallacies with that. People who would otherwise be joining a top-tier house do not join a colony. If I was a legacy to a house that was a colony and got a bid to an established top-tier house, that's where I would be. Sigma Nu (no offense intended) is not one of the organizations that is great everywhere, their Ole Miss chapter may be one of the best chapters of any fraternity in the nation, but top to bottom there are a number which are better (and the recruiting on a greek forum would tend to back that up). Most people looking for a traditional Greek experience aren't looking for a leadership development program instituted by Nationals. And FSU Pike isn't top-tier.

I agree that they will have a very nice house and a rich alumni base, but ANY colony is going to suck for a pretty good period of time. Those who join in the first few years back on campus will have all graduated before it's a good house again.

You've lost all credibility. FSU Pikes is one of the highest-achieving fraternities in the nation. Check out this page for proof... http://www.fsupikes.com/chapterachievements.htm
They've won 6 consecutive Smyth awards from their National Fraternity and you say they are not "top-tier" at FSU? They've won the all sports trophy all but one year since their 2001 recolonization and you say they are not "top-tier". Are you nuts?

My chapter at Northern Illinois www.SigmaNuNIU.com is a top 5 out of 15 fraternities in just 4 semesters after our recolonization. Two of the last three student government presidents have been a Sigma Nu. We've been #1 or #2 in GPA each of the last 4 semesters. We are the 5th largest fraternity in just 4 semesters. To say that a colony "is going to suck for a pretty good period of time" is just silly to say. It's simply not true.

I'm going to chalk up your perceptions to the likelihood that you are young and have limited perspective and experience with Greek affairs. I've been Greek for over 20 years, worked for my national organization, traveled and been a chapter advisor for over a decade and was the primary alumnus spearheading our recolonization effort.

We've got new chapters all over the country that are reaching critical mass and becoming top chapters on their respective campuses.