GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Zeta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,586
0 members and 2,586 guests
No Members online

Old 07-07-2001, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Post DZ Traditions

I thought it would be interesting to find out different traditions that other chapters may have. I'll start us off:

We have meetings every Monday night, and sometimes we have the "Rosie Box". This is where each member can write as many little notes to the other girls as she wants (stuff like "hey becca, watch out for those old guys...love lauren"--becca always gets hit on by old guys at the bar). Then we put them into the Rosie box (a little wooden box) and each girl will go up and read a few of the notes out loud to the chapter (but you can't read the notes written to you...someone else has to). It's a good way to get a few laughs and to find out what everyone did over the weekend.

We also have "Rosie and Ghosies." This is what we do right after formal recruitment. The new girls are the ghosties and the initiated members are the rosies. Each initiated member gets a ghostie to write to (but the ghostie doesn't know who is writing them the letters), and each new member gets a rosie to write to(but the rosie doesn't know who is writing them the letters). They exchange anonymous notes (it can be about anything at all, but the new girls are encouraged to talk about themselves, ask questions about sorority, talk about their concerns with college and stuff like that). They exchange these notes until the day before initiation, and at Lamplighter, each Rosie makes a paddle for her ghostie and each ghostie makes a paddle for her rosie. It's a fun way to get to know the new girls.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-08-2001, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey- We have a Rose Box, too! Instead of standing up and reading them, though, our sisterhood chair collects them all and types them every month, and everyone gets a copy. It's a great way to acknowledge a sister for doing something great. We also have a "Turtle Pass" every so often, usually at sisterhood retreats and after meetings. We sit in a circle, and the only person who can talk is the one who has the turtle. You are free to say what ever you want, as long as it isn't a personal attack. It lets us get stuff off of our chest.
I know this is getting long, but I think our sisterhood chair does a really terrific job and I want to acknowledge and share some of her ideas. When we line up and are waiting to go into a meeting, we sign a "Brag Board". Our sis. chair chooses a sister at random and decorates a peice of posterboard with her name on it, and everyone writes something nice about her on it, which she gets to keep!
Old 07-08-2001, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey- We have a Rose Box, too! Instead of standing up and reading them, though, our sisterhood chair collects them all and types them every month, and everyone gets a copy. It's a great way to acknowledge a sister for doing something great. We also have a "Turtle Pass" every so often, usually at sisterhood retreats and after meetings. We sit in a circle, and the only person who can talk is the one who has the turtle. You are free to say what ever you want, as long as it isn't a personal attack. It lets us get stuff off of our chest.
I know this is getting long, but I think our sisterhood chair does a really terrific job and I want to acknowledge and share some of her ideas. When we line up and are waiting to go into a meeting, we sign a "Brag Board". Our sis. chair chooses a sister at random and decorates a peice of posterboard with her name on it, and everyone writes something nice about her on it, which she gets to keep!
Old 07-08-2001, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

My bad about the double post-Sorry!!!
Old 07-08-2001, 09:06 PM

My chapter used to have "Rose Buddies" for each member of a new pledge class (haha, you know I'm old because I just can't bring myself to refer to a pledge as a new member!)

The Rose Buddy would leave gifts and notes in the suite for the pledge all semester but she wouldn't find out who her Rose Buddy was until initiation week. Then we would hold the Rose Buddy Hunt where the Rose Buddies would run a piece of yarn with clues regarding her identity attached throughout the suite. The pledge would follow the yarn and find her Rose Buddy at the end.

It was a lot of fun and when it was a big pledge class we could hardly walk around because of all the yarn!

------------------
@~Tracy~@

By the light of the lamp, by the light of the lamp, by the bright shiny light, by the light of the lamp...if you are a DeeZee, you're the best that you can be, by the bright shiny light of the lamp!
Old 07-10-2001, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

We had rose buddies too! But our rose buddy was someone we went to for help during pledging (I don't dig the 'new member' thing either) until we got our big sisters.

We also had a Guardian Tutle--that was the person who left us little presents and stuff. I had the coolest Guardian Tutle while pledging! I pledged in the Fall, so I didn't find out who my guardian turtle was until Christmas and that was several WEEKS after initiation! It was really cool and special.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:25 AM

Exclamation

Mikki! Welcome back; we all missed you! Hope you're feeling better

Tracy
Old 07-16-2001, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

We still have Rose Buddies in our chapter, and they're lots of fun for the new girls and for the sisters who are the Rose Buddies.

We don't have a Rose Box, but we do "Turtle Times," which is where each girl can write two notes to other sisters. They are collected at meeting, and then I was elected to type them out and distribute them through on-campus mail.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:01 AM
GreekChat Member

We have Rose Buddies too. We get them after our first new member meeting. We are given paper decorated letter to hang in our dorm room windows and notes that are writen back and forth between you and your Rose buddy until after intiation when we find out who they are.
We also have what i guess they call a rose box. We do roses at our meetings when you write something good about a sister but not saying who wrote it or anything else good that is going on. This week did thorns to when you write something bad that is going on.
We also have a turtle that we pass at the meetings from sister to sister for doing something extra special that past week that they deserve the turtle for.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sofiecusion Send a message via Yahoo to sofiecusion
We have Rose buddies too! When pledging starts we are given a "turtle buddy" and that person helps you throughout the pledging process. We also have rose buddies, they make a box to hold your badge....and you don't find out who your rose buddy is until initiation! I had NO idea who my rose buddy was, but it turned out to be a member of my DZ family! She is GREAT!