GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 999
1 members and 998 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Harvard's real target here are the exclusive final clubs. From Harvard's perspective, the fraternities and sororities are (fairly or unfairly) included in this group. From my experience, Harvard's administration can be both stubborn and arrogant. Everybody whose done business with them knows this. I also suspect that every fraternity and sorority involved with Harvard knew this going in. For example, in its magazine, my wife's fraternity cannot even mention its chapter's Harvard association. There's just a blank. Harvard's rule.

So could being swept up in something like this really be a surprise to its national office? I'm not defending Harvard, but I cannot really disagree with Harvard's president:

“Although the fraternities, sororities, and final clubs are not formally recognized by the College, they play an unmistakable and growing role in student life, in many cases enacting forms of privilege and exclusion at odds with our deepest values,” ***** wrote. “The College cannot ignore these organizations if it is to advance our shared commitment to broadening opportunity and making Harvard a campus for all of its students.”

"Privilege and exclusion" is what Harvard is trying to tramp down here. And don't expect Harvard to back off either. They didn't with gays in the military and other issues they think are important.
I'm not sure if your wife is a Theta, but my Theta friend told me the same thing a few years ago...I believe she said they can't list the chapter on Theta's website.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I'm not sure if your wife is a Theta, but my Theta friend told me the same thing a few years ago...I believe she said they can't list the chapter on Theta's website.
Good guess.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I just looked it up myself on Theta's website. I searched for all college chapters in Massachusetts, and it brings up this list:

Eta Chi Boston University

Eta Psi Tufts University

Gamma Eta Univ. of Massachusetts (Disestablished)

Zeta Mu MIT

Zeta Xi ~

The Zeta Xi chapter at "~" is the Harvard chapter.

Aren't there some other orgs that have to call their Harvard chapter the Cambridge, MA chapter or something like that?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

That's interesting as I believe the Harvard Kappa chapter is on the kkg.org website just like all the other chapters. I never got the vibe that the connection to Harvard isn't supposed to be mentioned. But I'm certainly no expert!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I just looked it up myself on Theta's website. I searched for all college chapters in Massachusetts, and it brings up this list:

Eta Chi Boston University

Eta Psi Tufts University

Gamma Eta Univ. of Massachusetts (Disestablished)

Zeta Mu MIT

Zeta Xi ~

The Zeta Xi chapter at "~" is the Harvard chapter.

Aren't there some other orgs that have to call their Harvard chapter the Cambridge, MA chapter or something like that?
Yes, we (Theta) were asked many years ago not to use the Harvard name in any of our media. We honored that request. You will notice this for other campuses as well. The College Panhellenic comprised of our chapter, that of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Gamma and Alpha Phi is called the Cambridge Panhellenic.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

One huge issue with this policy, that Harvard hasn't addressed at all, is the fact that many of the Finals Clubs do not publicize their membership rosters. So, enforcement that goes beyond self-selection could end up being a process that smacks of McCarthyism.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I agree...from what I've read, it sounds like the committee they're forming will be identifying the members through networking and the grapevine when rosters aren't available.

I am friends with our International President Krista Davis, and she is quite concerned about Harvard's action:

"I have made several posts today about the Harvard situation. However, these posts are just a small indication of how important it is we pay attention to this very concerning issue. Harvard is penalizing students who choose to be in a sorority. Please read this excellent blog written by my friend and Panhellenic sister, Kappa Alpha Theta National President, Laura Ware Doerre. Our freedom of association rights are in jeopardy. I stand behind Laura, Kappa Alpha Theta and all other 25 NPC organizations in speaking out against this decision. ‪#‎hearherharvard‬"

http://www.kappaalphatheta.org/learn...3C6E6A188C4BC5
Old 05-13-2016, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a theory that this is an attempt to deflect interest in finals clubs before something Title 9 or substance abuse related comes out. It does not really have anything to do with sororities which are somewhat self regulating by their international organizations.

It might be something like one of the more prestigeous finals clubs getting sued for denying female or gay members, and this hinders their networking and future career outlook. By doing this ahead of time, the University can underscore that these are not University clubs and not sanctioned so they really have no control over how they chose their members.

Last edited by HQWest; 05-13-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorgal View Post
One huge issue with this policy, that Harvard hasn't addressed at all, is the fact that many of the Finals Clubs do not publicize their membership rosters. So, enforcement that goes beyond self-selection could end up being a process that smacks of McCarthyism.
They will probably just require leadership nominees to certify in writing or provide an affidavit that they do not belong to a final club, fraternity, etc. that discriminates by gender. Pretty simple.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They will probably just require leadership nominees to certify in writing or provide an affidavit that they do not belong to a final club, fraternity, etc. that discriminates by gender. Pretty simple.
All the while discriminating against folks who exercise their rights of association.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh I agree, very simple. But it definitely smacks of McCarthyism.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of my office according to the best of my ability; that I do not believe in, and I am not a member of, nor do I support any party or organization that believes in, advocates, or teaches the overthrow of the United States Government, by force or by any illegal or unconstitutional means, that I am not a member of the Communist Party or under any oath or a party to any agreement or under any commitment that is in conflict with my obligations under this oath."

University of California Board of Regents oath that was required to be signed by all professors and employees.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote about this issue:

Harvard University has deemed that any student in the class of 2021, the incoming crop of its freshmen, who joins a single-gender organization will be considered a pariah and will not be allowed to captain a single-sex sports team or be eligible for college endorsement for selective fellowships. Okay, the official edict did not mention the word pariah, but that seems to be the intention.

The rest of the post is at: http://www.franbecque.com/2016/05/13...-name-harvard/
Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote a column - I relied heavily on the press releases of the various groups:

http://www.parispi.net/opinion/colum...34de428a5.html

"So, does that mean colleges with none of these groups do not grapple with campus safety?

Do they mean to imply that removing these groups will result in all of the campus holding hands and singing “Kumbayah”?

Or is it perhaps a case of an impotent campus administration afraid to confront the real, systemic problems on their campus, reacting by restricting the rights of their students in what could be a McCarthistic program requiring campus leaders to solemnly swear they are not, and never have been, members of these groups?"
Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Both are great articles!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Both are great articles!
+1