GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,642
1 members and 2,641 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-27-2002, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Fake Greek

I never in my life thought I would meet a person not affiliated with a Frat/Sor. wearing a shirt, but I did. He was wearing an Alpha Tau Omega rush shirt. He had to be in his late 60's and I, when asking, thought it'd be cool to meet an old frater from a different org. to hear some of his old stories. I was disapointed though to hear he had found the shirt on the street (he must have cleaned it because it was not dirty). Well me and my girl thought it was lame, and well that was it. Has any one else bumped into some one like this?
FKT
www.bspotonline.com/phitau
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2002, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Last week I saw our Mr. Can Man wearing Pi Phi letters ... really weird! I didn't say anything, though ...
Old 07-28-2002, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Jen; 08-13-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Why would someone non-Greek want to wear Greek t-shirts?
The only shirt they should wear is Gamma Delta Iota (GDI). I guess it is OK to wear event t-shirt (Run for Roses, Derby Days) bc they usually sell the t-shirts to all participants (so that non-Greek participants get their shirt legally).
Old 07-28-2002, 03:19 AM
Banned

other

I end up with tshirts from my girlfriend's sorority events and wear them. I don't mind and also since she goes to another school, I doubt it would lead to any confusion since my school doesn't have her sorority. However, if a friend gave me another fraternity's shirt, I'd feel really uncomfortable wearing it even if it was for an event and not just letters.

-Rudey
Old 07-28-2002, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

With women, it's one thing.. My girlfriend's closet is filled with party shirts, etc.. that have accumulated over the last 2 years.

But if it's a fella, it gets on my nerves.. And it depends on the day whether or not I'll say something to someone about it.

I've had people that claim they bought our party shirts at Goodwill or whatever... I can see how the shirts would end up there and they don't do it on purpose -- out of ignorance really... Maybe we should print disclaimers on the shirts
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Banned

I have tons of shirts from other sororities. Which one I wear depends on which chick i have around and what chicks I anticipate will be around me the most. For example, If I'm with a few KD's and Tri-Delts but I know 4 carloads of DGs are coming over, I'm wearing an Anchor Splash shirt. You never want to piss the majority off. Then again it depends on who your running game on. I had this one chick that I knew liked me and one night she came over to my place with a pike shirt on. It was the one where it had a picture of our frat house and girls dangling out every window. On the front it said " It's 3:00am, do you know where your girlfriend is?" On the back it had a picture of the pike house with guys who had big muscles and sunglasses on,with skinny chicks dangling all over them and outside the windows. Anyhow, she came over wearing it and I knew it was an unsaid statement. I saw the look in her eye. I knew she wanted to be a pike girl. However she was not up to my standards ( meaning she didn't have blonde hair) and so I left her hanging.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

When some greeks hold events (i.e, a walk-a-thon), they give away T-shirts to those that sign up. The shirt usually has the GLO's name spelled out with the name of the event underneath it. I don't think there's anything wrong with this.

In regards to seeing GLO shirts on the unfortunate people in our world (i.e. Mr. Can Man, someone homeless, etc.) instead of getting upset, why don't you just offer that a person a another shirt for the GLO shirt if you are bothered by it that much.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
Are there any Greek shirts that are OK for non-Greeks to wear?

What about shirts that don't have the Greek letters, but spelled out names? What if they advertize a party or event?
I know where you're coming from on that one. *grins* Normally National GLO's have strict rules against wearing of shirts/letters (otherthan mixer shirts) by non-members. I do know that TKE make it very clear for the letters not to be worn by anyone else otherthan by the member or after they have 'pinned' their serious girlfriend. (<---my case) Since I'm the only pinned property right now, they use me as an advertisement for the chapter to get guys to ask about 'my letters'. Great way to get pledges *nods* Also, locals may be more relaxed about the wearing of shirts and etc, mostly because they can bend their own rules. *Please note, I'm not meaning -all- locals, these are just the groups I have come in contact with*
Old 07-28-2002, 06:01 PM

When my sister was still in high school (she just graduated), I let her borrow my old ZTA bid day shirt from the year that I pledged. It was a big thing at her high school...to wear your older sister's sorority shirts. I guess they did it as a "bragging" thing; they got to brag that their sister was in a top sorority at one of the Florida universities.
Another girl from my chapter had a sister who went to the same high school as my sister. She let her younger sister wear her homecoming and bid day shirts. My best friend is a KD at UCF and her younger sister, who also attended the same high school as my sister, would wear KD shirts. I don't see the big deal in it as long as they are wearing bid day shirts or homecoming shirts and not block letter shirts. Plus, it's our biological sisters...not some random person that found the shirt at a flea market. We know that our sisters would not do anything disrespectful while wearing our letters. Plus, many of our sisters will go off to college and possibly become part of our sorority. My KD friend's sister is now a KD at Rollins. (My sister isn't rushing at UF though ).
Last year, I went to go pick up my sister from high school. I felt like I was back at UCF. There were a bunch of girls walking around with their older sister's KD, ZTA, Tri-Delta, or DG shirts on. I look at it as a positive: it's an ego boost to know your sister wants to borrow your shirts so she can brag to her friends that her big sister is in a certain sorority.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Eupolis

I don't think I've run into someone who was wearing letters who turned out not to be authentic. At least, not someone whose letters signalled that I should think they were in a GLO. If I did, though, I'd be disappointed too.

Here's what I mean about what different uses of our names signal to me:

I just looked more closely than usual at the screen prints on my old party shirts from several years back. It looks like my chapter usually put our spelled-out name on shirts advertising or commemorating parties or events, but the Greek letters usually appeared on the shirt somewhere as well. The thing is, it was patently obvious that the shirt was to commemorate the party (the rest of campus usually could get left-over shirts only at or after the party) and not to signal membership. (I'm not aware of anything in my fraternity's regulations on the matter of shirts.)

We restricted our fraternity letters that signalled membership to members, though pinned girlfriends sometimes wore them. A few people who objected to the practice of pinning probably objected to that as well, but no more than that.

--

Mu Chapter of Phi Kappa Tau, init. '96

Last edited by Eupolis; 07-28-2002 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face WOW I'm FAKE

I have a rush shirt that I got from the university that I transferred from, and it had letters of all 3 sororities on the front and back. I wore it around campus, during the summer, to bed... whenever I needed a clean tshirt. However, I wasn't affiliated with anyone. Am I going to be attacked by the "Omigod-they're-not-greek!" police?
I'll never forget being in the library where a good friend of mine who happened to be a Chi Omega loaned me a pencil with *gasp* LETTERS ON IT!
I was chewed out by a group of 3 overzealous pledges who said, "You are NOT a Chi-O! Why do you have that? Give it back!"
That experience was enough for me to treasure that pencil ever since... My ChiO friend got a huge laugh out of that...

What's the big deal about someone wearing a rush shirt? It's not saying they're affiliated. I loved my rush shirt - there are great memories associated with it. I made great friends that week, and through rush got much closer to my roommates. I chose not to pledge, and have transferred from that school. Should I have given my shirt back?
Old 12-20-2002, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
However, I feel that if it was just one organization (like a KD Bid Day shirt) it would be different.
I agree totally! We're still trying to get letters and gifts back from disassociated members.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Not really relevant but kinda funny-

One day a couple of sisters and I were walking around downtown campus, which is known for the freaks that hang out in broad daylight. We're talking about our image and how we can keep it going in a positive direction when we pass Subway. Outside is this Goth chick in clown makeup, cutting up a Barbie doll and like smashing her into her sandwich.
We're scared, we want to run, but we can't b/c
SHE'S WEARING AN ALPHA CHI OMEGA SWEATSHIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There wasn't really a question if she was a sister or not but once we got over the humor of the situation we got pretty pissed off. Asked her where she got the sweatshirt from, said she stole it from someone's dorm room.
What are you supposed to say to that??? Couldn't really make her take it off, never really found out who it belonged to.

Not relevant but thought you guys would find it funny.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Maybe it's not that kosher, but I'm pretty generous with my shirts. My twelve-year-old sister conned me into giving her a really cute one from last year's foam party, and I get a big kick out of seeing her strut around with it on. I also let my boyfriend wear my party t-shirts and various other ones--it's really funny when people at school ask him if Delta Zeta is his fraternity. I don't let anyone wear the ones with the stitched-on letters, because it's understood that those are for members only, but I don't see the big deal with allowing people to wear the party and event shirts.