GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,146
0 members and 1,146 guests
No Members online

Old 02-23-2014, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

A Tune Filled Return Recruitment

I already post on GC under a different name, but I wanted to go anon to tell my Tune Filled Recruitment story. I go to a school that has nine sororities.

Memories
Can't Hold Us
Radioactive
Thrift Shop
Daylight
Stay
Wake Me Up
Safe and Sound
Get Lucky

I met some other girls on campus who wanted to bring Roar, a national to campus.

I signed up for formal recruitment in the fall when I first came to the school, but wasn't sure if I'd find a home with the sororities since I wasn't a Freshman or Sophomore. So, I rushed and was released early during recruitment by the Panhellenic houses and was not offered a bid by the Multicultural houses I'd rushed then either. Then I'd signed up for Informal recruitment and wasn't invited to any of the COB events. In the meantime, I got involved on campus, raised my grades, made friends, started a few organizations of my own and had a lot of fun.....

I signed up once again for Formal Recruitment, then out of fear of looking "stupid" for putting myself through recruitment again, I didn't attend any events. My friend in Memories invited me, to rush her organization which I had never done, so I did. I enjoyed myself at Memories, but didn't end up with a bid from Memories either.

The girls who were interested in bringing Roar to campus approached me and invited me to join their interest group. Since I was definitely interested in what Roar had to offer, I decided to say 'Yes' to their invite and we prepared to see if Roar was interested in expanding to our campus.

To be continued.

Last edited by CountryRoads; 02-23-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Reread it and something wasn't accurate, so I changed it.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

This sounds like it will be interesting. Have we had an interest group participant rush story before?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

The first step was for our fearless leaders to contact Roar's Expansion Chair. I have no idea about the details said to the Expansion Chair, but it must have been a positive experience, because not too long after we all signed up for the interest group, the following news came through to us:

We are shooting to give Nationals a head count of girls that are committed to becoming Founding Mothers by such and such date so that Nationals can vote to make us an official colony!

Can we say that was faster than a crazy guitar riff?

We needed to fill out some forms and we had a meeting, and then we began to wait......

The following week, we received the happy news that our request for Expansion was granted! Our next step was for getting University recognition and for Nationals to come visit us for a colony education weekend! That was scheduled for not long afterward, but due to circumstances, Colony Education was rescheduled for the Spring.

Several months pass.......I remained involved in my normal activities, and knew that if I stayed patient, the Colony would happen.

The week before Colony Education, the next step that was necessary was to obtain University and Student Association recognition as a club, which is required for all social Greek Letter Organizations before they are voted in and recognized by their respective Greek councils. Since I was not on the newly elected Exec Board for our soon to be completely official colony I didn't have anything to do with the planning for this, I did know that there would be a public meeting where the Student Association Clubs Board would approve or deny our request. I'd gone to many of these as a founder and exec board member for other clubs, and wanted to go and lend moral support to our President and Treasurer. I asked our President if I could attend, and she was happy to say yes.

The meeting started. All present had to introduce themselves. Since I'm known on campus for being very passionate about a specific organization, my presence was an extreme surprise. As members of the Interest group and then Colony....we were not allowed to post about the colony on Facebook or in any other social media, or to really mention it, except to women who might be interested in joining in with us. For me, I kept silent about Roar for the entire five months that had led from the beginning of things until this point.

This was highly unusual for me: I so wanted to TELL people because I was really proud of what had been accomplished, but respected the need for silence until it was all finalized...or not.

To be continued.

Last edited by CountryRoads; 02-23-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Meeting was called to order, and we were eventually called to present our request to the board. After some discussion, and a few questions about our status with Nationals from board members we were

APPROVED!

We were insanely happy! The next and final step to complete things and to get us on the road to being official members of the colony was to attend Colony Education weekend.

I adored on sight the two alumna who came to us that next weekend.
They were smart and nice and funny and cool...and dedicated to teaching us what we needed to know. Colony Education weekend was hard work, but I had never been so sure of anything in my life and even though I knew a few of my fellow founding mothers slightly at the beginning of the weekend, by its end I got to learn more about them and looked so forward to the time that we'd spend bringing our colony of

Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi

to a hopefully fun, wonderful and fantastic chapterhood and sincere sisterhood to last a lifetime!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations. You have exciting times ahead!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
Meeting was called to order, and we were eventually called to present our request to the board. After some discussion, and a few questions about our status with Nationals from board members we were

APPROVED!

We were insanely happy! The next and final step to complete things and to get us on the road to being official members of the colony was to attend Colony Education weekend.

I adored on sight the two alumna who came to us that next weekend.
They were smart and nice and funny and cool...and dedicated to teaching us what we needed to know. Colony Education weekend was hard work, but I had never been so sure of anything in my life and even though I knew a few of my fellow founding mothers slightly at the beginning of the weekend, by its end I got to learn more about them and looked so forward to the time that we'd spend bringing our colony of

Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi

to a hopefully fun, wonderful and fantastic chapterhood and sincere sisterhood to last a lifetime!
As soon as I read "colony education weekend" I knew you must be starting a colony of my beloved sorority! Welcome! I hope your colony period goes well and that you are all loving being a part of Sigma [I *think* I know which campus this is, but we don't usually post the names of schools where we are currently colonies and not chapters]--can't wait to hear the rest of your story.

Also, perfect code name for us, seeing as how our mascot is the lioness

Last edited by sigmagirl10; 02-23-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added something
Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much Sigma10! Yes, me and our founding mothers are happy, happy, happy and looking forward to what is to come.

FSUZeta, I keep thinking, it's the journey....not just the destination and that's really touching my heart at the moment.

I'll try to keep everyone updated as our colony period goes on.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations! Which regular poster are you?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Carnation, I'll send you a PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Is this group composed of the same members of another group that you brought to your campus? (Assuming I have the correct regular poster) Or are these two groups completely separate? I'll be interested to see how this works out and how one can balance two groups with seemingly different niches.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, you have the right person. No, the members of each group are completely different. I enjoy the distinctly different experiences, and to have a heart big enough for embracing them both brings much joy and peace for me.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
enjoy your experiences! does SAEPi have a badge? come show it off in badge trends

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06