GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,420
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, abryanswftz6979
» Online Users: 2,720
2 members and 2,718 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 04-01-2000, 03:33 PM
ac180cu

Question Does age matter

I am transfering to another university in the fall and wanted to rush a fraternity there... I am 24yrs old (not a current member) and was wondering if my age would matter and/or if I would be considered or not? Any ideas?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-01-2000, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ac180cu:
I am transfering to another university in the fall and wanted to rush a fraternity there... I am 24yrs old (not a current member) and was wondering if my age would matter and/or if I would be considered or not? Any ideas?
In your case I believe it wouldn't matter. As long as your an undergraduate and in good standing(Beta Theta Pi Fraternity is 2.5 GPA). I believe that GPA is the norm for most college campuses. I had a brother who rushed when he was 24 coming into college as a junior out of the Air Force. I pledged when I was 21 and my three other pledge brothers were about 18. There are many positive things that can come from an older pledge. I personally believe that age doesn't matter but then it all depends on the Fraternity. Now, I'm speaking from a social Fraternity perspective. You'll just have to go out and meet each Fraternity for yourself during rush. Good Luck!

Kevin Mullinix
Beta Theta Pi
Epsilon Mu Chapter
George Mason University

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited April 01, 2000).]
Old 04-06-2000, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Go for it. But expect to be treated a bit differently. I pledged a sorority when I was 24. I wasn't treated any differently until I became a member. I think sometimes it's hard for an 18 or 19 year old to be told what to do by someone older (that's what they got away from home for). Holding a position in the organization, and just doing your job can sometimes be viewed as thinking you're more mature or somehow better because of your age. At least that's what I ran into. Also, when (or if) you don't feel like partying (lets face it, it gets old after a while) you may be viewed as too good for them or too mature to be hanging out with the young ones. I ran into the problem that no matter what I did, I was viewed differently by some of the members. Not all, I have some great sisters, but you have to be aware of these possibilities...it just makes it a lot easier to head off problems before they go too far.
Old 04-09-2000, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
It shouldn't be a problem! When my chapter first started up, several of the Chapter Founders were juniors or seniors in College, and a coupld of them were in their mid to late 20s. IMO, as long as you share the ideals of the sisterhood/brotherhood, and you are comfortable in their company, that's what matters.

[This message has been edited by equeen (edited April 13, 2000).]
Old 04-11-2000, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It should not be a problem with the fraternity, one of my brothers was a 7th year super-senior and pledged with a bunch of sophmores and he did fine. The only problem you might have if you do not like getting bossed around by someone younger than you.
Old 05-01-2000, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I pledged LXA when I was 27. I couldn't get out of a lease for th e1st term so I lived outside the house. 2nd term I moved in and stayed my whole time there. Most of my AM Class were Frosh & sophs. We had a great time!!! Learning to do what someone else tells you is an exercise in humility -- a virtue that can be used throughout life.

We were (and ARE) brouthers first both actives and AMs. We're on the same team. You will have things you can learn form your younger brothers and they'll be able to learn from you. Don't see it as "me and them" see fraternity life as "us helping each other".

Go for it, enjoy it and God Bless you!!.

P.S. Look into your local Lambda Chi Alpha chapter for a great fraternity. (Couldn't resist the plug :-)

jasoom BOZ 183
Old 05-02-2000, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your replies... I am feeling alot better about rushing now. My fear was being the "old man" in the frat, however, through the positive feedback I have recieved, I no longer fear being seen as an outsider .
Old 05-03-2000, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I pledged in my second year of school–*it's been great, but the problem is that I will always be a younger member than the current first years, even though I am older age and school-wise. This isn't *that* big of a problem, but it is significant. Once of my pledge bros was a 21 year-old third year transfer, so he proves that it can be done.

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla
Old 05-03-2000, 10:49 AM
Confused

awatters:

"...the problem is that I will always be a younger member than the current first years, even though I am older age and school-wise."

What does that mean?
Old 05-03-2000, 11:35 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Confused:
awatters:

"...the problem is that I will always be a younger member than the current first years, even though I am older age and school-wise."

What does that mean?
Simply stated: I pledged in Fall 86. My little pledged in fall 88. Even though she was born 6 months before me and we graduated at the same time, she's younger than me in "sorority years."

Sometimes pledge class seniority is used for things like who gets a little, etc, so this is where it can be disadvantageous. (Is that a word?)

I assume this is what you mean Andy?
Old 05-03-2000, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Thumbs up

Age shouldn't matter - I functioned as a chapter advisor at a chapter that had one active older than I was (I was 28 when I started in that role). Since then, I have also seen another new member join at 28 - and he fit in rather nicely - he turned out to be a good role model for the younger, yet more "senior" members of the chapter. It all boils down to how you choose to treat all new members. Obviously, if this chapter had decided to do some good old-fashioned hazing, he would have left - he was too old for that kind of crap - that's why he was so comfortable joining with us.

------------------
Don't be your brother's keeper; rather, be your brother's Brother.
Old 05-14-2000, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

When I transred to PSU (Kansas), I was 24. I pledged SC but was kicked out. Being the type that I was I had found I needed the Frateral system because it helped make Men and Women of boys and girls. I started a local Beta Chi and beat a small National out and became Lambda Chi Alpha Chapter Lambda Chi Zeta which is very special to me. I have met many Brothers and Sisters of the Greek sector over the years and keep in touch with many new Brother of MY Fraternity from other chapters. What I had and have I would never give up for anything! We as an organized group must realize that we are not the norm but the abnorm. But if not for us there would not be homecoming or people on the campus commitees. I love what I have and want to see it promigate. If they know not what they miss then they are in the dark.
Tom Earp LXZ # 1 PSU )Kansas(
Old 05-14-2000, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your input. I will surely rush this fall! Any input on Fraternities at CU?

------------------
Faced with the Divine, I was asked; "What one gift do you seek?"
I answered ever so meekly; "I seek Honor, Truth, Integrity, and Wisdom, yet those are four. How am I to choose?"
The answer came as a pounding whisper; "The four you seek are but one. I grant thee Compassion; for without it the four make none."
Author - me