GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,102
1 members and 1,101 guests
Sarak24034

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned

Zing!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
First off, I am not your Tommy Boy!

And, I do agree with you on your previous statement! If they cannot abide by what is needed of them or they just piss it off, then they should be gone.

But for some to say that they expect to get rid of people gauls me.

If they are not good enough to work with and try to make it, do not recruit them except just to show numbers!
Tom, there is no way of knowing how a kid will turn out simply through rush. It isn't hard to put on a good show for us. I've seen it countless times. Kid comes through rush and we think he is the greatness. Turns out he's a complete tool.

I don't care anything about numbers. Most really good houses don't care either.......they get what they comfortably need every year and it works great.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Tom, there is no way of knowing how a kid will turn out simply through rush. It isn't hard to put on a good show for us. I've seen it countless times. Kid comes through rush and we think he is the greatness. Turns out he's a complete tool.

I don't care anything about numbers. Most really good houses don't care either.......they get what they comfortably need every year and it works great.

This is one of the most serious and important posts you have made and you are 100% correct.

We as GLOs can only hope for the very best in recruitment.

Some will make it and others not make it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen or heard!
I have to make an addendum to it.

We know that we will make some bad choices during rush. We know we will make at least 5 bad choices (because we're idiots, sometimes). We try to make good choices, but usually around 5 slip through the cracks...even if we signed them before school started.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
We depledge around five guys a fall semester.
Quote:
That's why we do it...our numbers are very, very similar. Some can't make it, even though we aren't asking them to do bows and toes on glass or some dangerous or homoerotic hazing. I guess the stress of always being alert gets to some people. We'll depledge around 5 and then get rid of the worthless by other means.
Quote:
No, there are plenty of reasons to boot someone. We go into rush planning on booting at least 5 and trying to get others to quit.
Quote:
I have to make an addendum to it.

We know that we will make some bad choices during rush. We know we will make at least 5 bad choices (because we're idiots, sometimes). We try to make good choices, but usually around 5 slip through the cracks...even if we signed them before school started.
EW;
I am, after seeing you post here over the past year or so, rather confused over your sudden expertise and experience.
You changed schools, you posted that you choose not to re-affiliated with "new" chapter as you did not think too highly of the Brothers there, and as well as not even being on campus and being out of touch with events there.
And during all this, you are somehow involved with IFC and rush rather that the chapter that you never affiliated with???
What , you kissed and made up? If so, do they know what you said about them???
Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
EW;
I am, after seeing you post here over the past year or so, rather confused over your sudden expertise and experience.
You changed schools, you posted that you choose not to re-affiliated with "new" chapter as you did not think too highly of the Brothers there, and as well as not even being on campus and being out of touch with events there.
And during all this, you are somehow involved with IFC and rush rather that the chapter that you never affiliated with???
What , you kissed and made up? If so, do they know what you said about them???
Absolutely on all counts.

Thanks for keeping up with my social life. I don't know what I would do without GreekChat making sure everythings okay.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Absolutely on all counts.

Thanks for keeping up with my social life. I don't know what I would do without GreekChat making sure everythings okay.
No, not keeping up with your life at all. If I was, I would have also pointed out the number of times you have been caught mis-speaking by other people on your campus(s).
Whatever.

Last edited by jon1856; 04-16-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
- Gaul -

gall -
Good of you to take over the spelling queen bee chores!

Have a swell!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Tom: we initiate 3/5 of our pledges because we WANT to initiate 3/5 of our pledges. We strive to get the best guys we can and drop the rest. Basically it boils down to whether or not they can DO something for us, its rare to let someone in JUST because we like their company. We want them to contribute athletically, academically, and/or socially.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good of you to take over the spelling queen bee chores!

Have a swell!
Just tryin' to help you out
Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
Just tryin' to help you out

Thanks!

PhiGam, I still do not understand your way of thinking? You plan on only taking 3/5s ?

Then it seems that some who are recruiting are not doing their jobs in the selection process.

We had a Fraternity who would pledge 60-80 and maybe inititated only 6-8. It took a few years before they were off campus and gone. Also at one time the chapters were holding @ 60 members as actives and now, we run @ 35-50 only. @ 6 % of campus population.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-18-2008, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks!

PhiGam, I still do not understand your way of thinking? You plan on only taking 3/5s ?

Then it seems that some who are recruiting are not doing their jobs in the selection process.

We had a Fraternity who would pledge 60-80 and maybe inititated only 6-8. It took a few years before they were off campus and gone. Also at one time the chapters were holding @ 60 members as actives and now, we run @ 35-50 only. @ 6 % of campus population.
Its not necessarily a "plan," it just always happens that way. We select the guys that we feel can be good brothers by the end of their pledge semester and contributing to the house, if that doesn't happen then they're gone.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Plus, Tom, initiating 60% =/= only initiating 10%.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Did I not just explain this?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Its not necessarily a "plan," it just always happens that way. We select the guys that we feel can be good brothers by the end of their pledge semester and contributing to the house, if that doesn't happen then they're gone.
Okay, here is where I agree with you.

You cannot always pick the cream of the crop and if they do not want to abide by the rules, learn, pay their dues, or get involved along with GPA then there is a reason.

But when GPA comes up, I always find study time not a hazing priority as that is why most go to College and Graduate.

LX Z # 1
Alumni