GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 781
1 members and 780 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 09-02-2007, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I *was* an XYZ...when I was in college

Last summer I was out with a group of very fun friends and this one girl had joined our group for the night. She was super nice and tons of fun and we got to talking and I found out she was an Alpha Gamma Delta (alumna).

I was out with one of my friends this past Friday and we ended up at this one place and ran into this girl. After talking for a bit I said something to the effect of, "Oh yeah, you're the Alpha Gam," and she looked at me and said, "Huh?" And I'm like, "I remember you saying you were an Alpha Gamma Delta." And she looked sort of puzzled and said, "Well I WAS...when I was in college." And just the way she said it I could tell that Greek life was 'something she did in college' and would probably not think about much again. This sort of makes me sad.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, to be honest, I tend to use the same kind of past tense when I talk to people who aren't presently involved, especially if the group contains people who were never Greek, who probably do think that GLO are only for people in college.

I think it's actually probably more typical to use past tense than to use present tense when you are an alum, even though you know it's a lifelong membership.

It's more about your audience that it is about your feelings. You don't want them to think you're holding on to your college years too tightly.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:25 PM

I usually just say I'm a Tri Sigma alumna. I never say "was" because I still am a Sigma, just not a collegian anymore.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-02-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guilty of doing this also, even though I continue to be involved as an alumnae. For some people I think it means just what it did for that girl you talked to, something they did in college. For others, it's just the vernacular they use...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
I always say "I am proud to be a Phi Mu"...and then add "I have a whole lot more fun since I am an alumna than I ever did when I was in college".

It usually opens up a whole thread of conversation, especially with those who "were" greek in college. I think I helped a few find their way back (my son's best friend's mom...who is an Alpha Xi)
Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
I think it's actually probably more typical to use past tense than to use present tense when you are an alum, even though you know it's a lifelong membership.
I'd say you are absolutely correct.

I sometimes catch myself saying I "was" a Delt, but almost always manage to add, "and still am."
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I usually just say I'm a Tri Sigma alumna. I never say "was" because I still am a Sigma, just not a collegian any more.
I think this sums it up rather nicely.

And you all already know the NPHC view on this.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
I think this sums it up rather nicely.

And you all already know the NPHC view on this.
loves how ladygreek keeps it short and sweet
Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
Well, to be honest, I tend to use the same kind of past tense when I talk to people who aren't presently involved, especially if the group contains people who were never Greek, who probably do think that GLO are only for people in college.

It's more about your audience that it is about your feelings. You don't want them to think you're holding on to your college years too tightly.
Oh my gosh...you completely articulated what I was thinking! The only difference is I use the designation "alum" - I tell Greeks I'm a Tri Delta alum. I think just saying "I'm a Tri Delta" does sound like you're trying too much to hold on to your college years. I usually just tell non-Greeks I'm a sorority alum.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an Alpha Gam!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetaprincess
Im so proud to say Im a Theta. I love meeting greeks that love their organization as much as mine. I love to volonteer for anything theta. And my membership more then just my 4 years of being active.