GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,113
0 members and 1,113 guests
No Members online

Old 11-18-2002, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I know one that I looked at had (Johnstown) listed separately. It seemed as though it was there, but I could be wrong. I only had a little bit of time and I was trying to get as much info as possible! Who knows, I like to speculate!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire1977
Okay I am reviving a crusty thread here.....
I was at the library with my boyfriend and as I had nothing to do I looked up the old baird's manuals, the latest being in 1960 something. Anyway it looks that besides the 11 they have now and Theta I believe we have had....

Alpha Xi Delta - Alpha Alpha Chapter in 1918 to 1935(?)
Beta Sigma Omicron - Alpha Tau chapter 1930-1964 (merged with Zeta)
Phi Mu - Beta Theta in 1920-1933(?)
Phi Sigma Sigma - Iota - 1924 or 1923
Pi Beta Phi - (this was listed diff. than the others) Pennsylvania Delta 1918-1931(?)
Zeta Tau Alpha - Chi - 1915 -?

as far as theta nu xi moxie, I haven't heard anything yet.
I was cleaning out my subscription list (I had no idea how many threads I was subscribed to! ), and came across this one. With Baird's in hand (well, in lap) these additions to the above:

Zeta Tau Alpha: 1915-1965 (where was it from 1960-65?)
Phi Mu: 1920-61
Phi Sigma Sigma: 1924-1974

I'm guessing that ZTA & Phi Mu met their demise when they didn't get into Amos, or have the brand new townhouse that the Kappas & Thetas had (all in 1960-61, I think). Also, in old yearbooks (My mother keeps inheriting these things! She didn't even go to Pitt!), it talks about sororities being housed in Ruskin Hall! I've never even been in there, but it would be interesting to see old photos of it, from a sorority point of view.

BTW: note the date. Pitt's Recruitment Schedule is STILL not posted! The only way it's even given a nod is here!

Last edited by honeychile; 08-06-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 AM

And HC, Alpha Xi Delta did have a chapter at Pitt and at Pitt-Johnstown.

Pitt: Alpha Alpha 1918-1935
P-J: Zeta Kappa 1973-1979

ZTA (Chi chapter) 1915-1965
Phi Mu (?Designation?) 1920-1961
Pi Beta Phi (PA Delta) 1918-1931
Old 08-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

It's really funny, about my mother's yearbook "collection"! When she first started her business, she would make home visits, and a dentist gave her all of his and his sons' yearbooks - and a dental drill from the 1800's (with a peddle, like old fashioned sewing machines)! From there, people started getting the idea that she liked yearbooks, and she must have about 40 or 50, mostly from Pitt - one has her mother in it, with the other Kappas.

We know that two other greataunts were in sororities at PSU in the 1920's, and that one was a fraternity sweetheart. I'd LOVE to see that one!

But it does give you a great history of a school, and it's interesting to see things in photos of houses that you know are still around! When I was in school, we had to be able to show people exactly where our house was, and know that the TriDeltas were next door. Interesting, as the TriDeltas live just below the ADPis now!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes
And HC, Alpha Xi Delta did have a chapter at Pitt and at Pitt-Johnstown.

Pitt: Alpha Alpha 1918-1935
P-J: Zeta Kappa 1973-1979

ZTA (Chi chapter) 1915-1965
Phi Mu (?Designation?) 1920-1961
Pi Beta Phi (PA Delta) 1918-1931
Hmm... sorry about the double post, but it wouldn't let me edit!

Pitt-Johnstown has only ever had four sororities:
Delta Zeta: 1972-
Alpha Gamma Delta: 1982-
Alpha Xi Delta: 1973-1979
Phi Sigma Sigma: colony in 1990, I don't know anything further.

So, ZTA, Phi Mu (Beta Theta Chapter), and Phi Beta Phi were all on main campus.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile

Yes - sorry - that is what I meant. I wasn't clear about that. I was only clarifying the Alpha Xi Delta campus information, and adding that the other NPCs had inactive chapters at regular Pitt.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Alpha Sigma Alpha has been at UPJ since 1987. They were responsible for the lifting of the moratorium on new sororities. Phi Sig has been a chapter since 1991. The DZ chapter closed around 2002-2003.

Plus, Omega Alpha Tau and another local sorority (whose name I can't remember and who I believe turned into the Phi Sig chapter, but don't quote me on that) predated the nationals. AFAIK Omega is still around.

Basically UPJ and Pitt (not to mention UPB) have nothing to do with each other as far as Greek life is concerned - it's like comparing Pitt and Lehigh.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-08-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
Alpha Sigma Alpha has been at UPJ since 1987. They were responsible for the lifting of the moratorium on new sororities. Phi Sig has been a chapter since 1991. The DZ chapter closed around 2002-2003.

Plus, Omega Alpha Tau and another local sorority (whose name I can't remember and who I believe turned into the Phi Sig chapter, but don't quote me on that) predated the nationals. AFAIK Omega is still around.

Basically UPJ and Pitt (not to mention UPB) have nothing to do with each other as far as Greek life is concerned - it's like comparing Pitt and Lehigh.
Thanks for the update. The ideal situation would have been UPJ & UPB having the same chapters are main campus, and feed into them. It just never seemed to work, though - at least, afaik.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update. The ideal situation would have been UPJ & UPB having the same chapters are main campus, and feed into them. It just never seemed to work, though - at least, afaik.
Did more people used to transfer from UPJ and the other Pitt branch campuses to main campus? Very very few do nowadays. It's not like the Penn State system where people can't get into main campus, go to a branch, then try to transfer to main. They are very separate.

UPB is tiny... I don't know how they could even sustain greek life. And UPB is SO far away from main campus (which I learned when I had to drive to Bradford for work)- we're talking 4 hours! Chapters certainly couldn't get together on any sort of basis. Even UPJ is 2 hours away.

I've gotta wander up to the UPJ campus next time i'm in Johnstown with a bit of free time. I'm assuming there's no sorority houses, that they're in dorms or something?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM

Feeding sounds ideal but doesn't always work. Anymore than you could expect, like I said, your chapter at Lehigh to feed into your chapter at Pitt. It's two different entities, two different groups of people doing membership selection (I'm sure you see where this is going). We have some of our girls from Penn State Behrend transfer into our chapter at Penn State Main, but it's by no means a "feeder chapter." They are two completely separate things. I'm sure GPB will discover the same thing w/ having a chapter at Penn State Altoona and main.

Dani you're right, UPJ is a 4 year school. It isn't a "branch" like Penn State New Ken or something. PSU Altoona & Behrend are the same way (Behrend has been for a long time, Altoona in the last 5 years or so).

UPB has local sororities.

UPJ has lodges which are really nice. http://www.upj.pitt.edu/resources/im...2_008_w240.jpg

Last edited by 33girl; 08-08-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

There used to be 4-5 satellite campuses for Pitt, all of them only 2-year schools, then UPJ became 4 years. From what y'all say, I suppose Bradford is 4 years, too? That used to be the "my grades are so bad, I can't even get into a community college" school!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 PM

Well, there's Johnstown, Greensburg, Bradford and Titusville (affectionately referred to by my little as Pitt at Tit). According to Pitt's website, they are all 4 year except Titusville.

UPJ has been 4 year as long as I can remember, as a matter of fact (and fuzzie would probably say the same) there were people from my HS who transferred from Pitt Main back to UPJ.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
as a matter of fact (and fuzzie would probably say the same) there were people from my HS who transferred from Pitt Main back to UPJ.
I'm not surprised!! UPJ is gorgeous. I almost went there, but in a flash of brilliance, I realized that I shouldn't choose a college for its scenic view.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay
I'm not surprised!! UPJ is gorgeous. I almost went there, but in a flash of brilliance, I realized that I shouldn't choose a college for its scenic view.
That didn't have anything to do with it - it was because it was closer to home.

The campus is nice and all, but I hate the way all the buildings are all the same age and look exactly alike.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'll admit it - Johnstown freaks me out! I get very claustrophobic there, but I'm sure it's psychosymatic. The only reason I see going there is to see the Slap Shot sites!