GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,436
2 members and 1,434 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Alabama Lawmaker Wants To Ban "Gay" Books

Link to the Article
Old 12-02-2004, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I'm sorry, but what the HELL is wrong with this state???They are like America's Saudi Arabia....When will they start making women stop wearing pants and start wearing skirts to the ankle and BURQUAS??????JEEZ!

You can defend this ass backwards state all you want. But lately, they've gone plum NUTS!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

I bet there are lawmakers like this in every state. There is nothing different here. Calling them the Saudi Arabia of America makes no sense.

As for textbooks saying homosexuality is OK...what the heck kind of textbooks are these? We had textbooks on history, math, science, English, foreign languages, and even a health text book but where exactly does homosexuality is OK or heterosexuality is OK fit in anywhere?

-Rudey
Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
The link didn't work for me so I couldn't read the article.

ETA: Found it and read it.

Alabama State Representative Gerald Allen wants to pass a law that to ban books with gay characters in public and school libraries.

I agree with this quote from a librarian:

"We aren't in the business, and I don't think the legislature should be in the business, of telling people--especially adults--what they can and can't read," says Donna Schremser.

I hope it doesn't pass. There are so many great works of literature containing gay characters and written by gay authors. The article didn't mention gay authors, but I imagine that would be next.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 12-02-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I must put a gay character in my novel so that if it's ever published, I can have the honor of having it banned in Alabama.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we should ban all ghey books. Like The Rules. I hear that's pretty ghey.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl
I'm sorry, but what the HELL is wrong with this state???They are like America's Saudi Arabia....When will they start making women stop wearing pants and start wearing skirts to the ankle and BURQUAS??????JEEZ!

You can defend this ass backwards state all you want. But lately, they've gone plum NUTS!
thanks for the generalization.

i am from the beautiful state of Alabama, lived in huntsville, actually for 6 years before moving even farther South to mobile. this is one guy....i'm sure there are others out there like him, but i seriously doubt this will go anywhere. crack on this goofus all you want to, but please refrain from putting Saudi Arabia and Alabama in the same reference point.

My Facebook
Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Though I've heard some wags call Dallas the "Southern Baptist Vatican" - their administrative and financial offices are in Big D.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 12-02-2004, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I think we should ban all ghey books. Like The Rules. I hear that's pretty ghey.
This is a great idea. Also Men are from Mars.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My book could be banned in Alabama!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaGamDiva
thanks for the generalization.

i am from the beautiful state of Alabama, lived in huntsville, actually for 6 years before moving even farther South to mobile. this is one guy....i'm sure there are others out there like him, but i seriously doubt this will go anywhere. crack on this goofus all you want to, but please refrain from putting Saudi Arabia and Alabama in the same reference point.
Sorry, honey, but its not our fault that Alabama does the isht it does. If her saying Alabama is BACKWARDS is such a generalization, why did the state just pass that vote on the constitution and what is the deal with this piece of legislation? If you don't like it, and you love your state so much, why don't you do something about the obvious MAJORITY who are trying to turn back the friggin clock? They are the ones churning out the newsworthy bullshit.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Phasad1913
Sorry, honey, but its not our fault that Alabama does the isht it does. If her saying Alabama is BACKWARDS is such a generalization, why did the state just pass that vote on the constitution and what is the deal with this piece of legislation? If you don't like it, and you love your state so much, why don't you do something about the obvious MAJORITY who are trying to turn back the friggin clock? They are the ones churning out the newsworthy bullshit.
Not for nothing, but I heard Illinois has some sort of law that allows blacks to vote only temporarily (like blacks can vote for the next 30 years) and that the duration is coming to an end. It could be a rumor but a black guy told it to me and I'm too busy to check.

-Rudey
Old 12-02-2004, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope that it is because that could get you to the top of the NYT Bestsellers List.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If your book gets banned in Alabama, I will for sure buy a copy. Maybe I'll buy one for kk_gphib_01's chapter too, since they won't be able to have such contraband.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Not for nothing, but I heard Illinois has some sort of law that allows blacks to vote only temporarily (like blacks can vote for the next 30 years) and that the duration is coming to an end. It could be a rumor but a black guy told it to me and I'm too busy to check.

-Rudey
Nope, you're wrong and so is the "black guy" who told that to you. I have done the research both for undergrad and for an artcle that I wrote for my law school. I will send you the info if you are really interested.