GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,319
0 members and 2,319 guests
No Members online

Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello

I am just littel curious about my situation here. I was a PNAM in process of pursuing alumna membership with this one NPC group. I've been to several of their sorority functions and got to meet some of the ladies. One of the women emailed me and asked me if I was interested in membership so I said yes. After this, I never heard back from them and it's been almost 3 months. Am I supposed to keep on waiting for her response or just forget it and move on???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroma2338 View Post
I am just littel curious about my situation here. I was a PNAM in process of pursuing alumna membership with this one NPC group. I've been to several of their sorority functions and got to meet some of the ladies. One of the women emailed me and asked me if I was interested in membership so I said yes. After this, I never heard back from them and it's been almost 3 months. Am I supposed to keep on waiting for her response or just forget it and move on???
Email her back and ask the status of the process. You can reaffirm your interest in joining, but be prepared to hear that you were denied. Sometimes people handle bad news by avoidance. That being said, the process apparently does take a long time so everything if probably fine! Good luck! Remember to remain discrete.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Not only that, she went to UC Berkeley which is a pretty competitive school - I'm guessing that the GPAs of most students are above those required by the national sororities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
The school is competitive, but does anyone know about rush there? Is it competitve?

ETA: I found this thread about Berkley rush, and it seems the women on here have said that it's not competitve...therefore I would seriously question a girl who was dropped on day 4 of 7 from ALL 14 CHAPTERS. Grades probably would have gotten her cut on day 2.
I was an advisor there for 6 years. I don't remember a freshman's GPA ever being below DG's GPA requirement, due to the difficulty of getting into Cal. On the other hand, I'm sure there could be sophomores/juniors/seniors with GPAs that were not high enough, in which case they should have been released before the second round of parties.

Cal's recruitment is not competitive in the sense that a woman who goes in with an open mind and maximizes her options is likely to get a bid. Or, are you all using some other idea of "competitive"?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroma2338 View Post

Anyone know this chick ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am regurgitating the post for a reason.

She just pm'ed me, claiming "...I am currently in the process of AI'ing "XYZ" as well, exactly in the same situation as you were, with the whole thing with being a former pledge" and had questions about the AI process..."

(By the way, I have been formally invited for alumnae membership and am being initiated into Alpha Xi Delta this spring. Stalk my postings if you want more info on my history with AXiD.)I saw this post after I replied to her, and obviously gave her no info, but I am guessing this chick is either a liar or a perp.

So beware.

Sigh. The thing I hate most in this world is dishonesty.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to make a general PSA-type announcement to all of the women interested in Alumnae Initiation. I know that some people want to AI to relive their college days or because they think it will be easy. I was initiated into ASA as an alumna in April of 2007. It is now 12:49, I have been on a volunteer conference call since 9:00am and we are nowhere near to being done. After this call ends, I have to go write two presentations for our District Day and a short article for the Phoenix. AI is not a quick fix and it is not easy.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I just want to make a general PSA-type announcement to all of the women interested in Alumnae Initiation. I know that some people want to AI to relive their college days or because they think it will be easy. I was initiated into ASA as an alumna in April of 2007. It is now 12:49, I have been on a volunteer conference call since 9:00am and we are nowhere near to being done. After this call ends, I have to go write two presentations for our District Day and a short article for the Phoenix. AI is not a quick fix and it is not easy.
Good for you! I think alot of women AI just to say that they are "XYZ" because they couldn't say that in college and want to be able to say it now. Then they get iinvited to join, get initiated, and don't get involved at all.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

cuteASAbug - I completely co-sign with you on that. As an active alum of Gamma Sigma Sigma national service sorority, I have spent many hours volunteering, doing paperwork, and just about anything else that needs to be done...

These are MY personal opinions, based on my past and current (thus far) experiences:

My sponsor in Alpha Xi Delta has specified areas that she believes my skills and experience may benefit different areas of the Fraternity. Together, we came up with some ideas that both interest me, and that will support the Fraternity's more immediate needs and goals.

The work that alum members do is rarely glamorous, and serves the greater good. Much of it goes unrecognized, as the work of alumnae associations are to help develop new members and to continue to cultivate the Fraternity's missions.

My initiation will not be a means to an end; it's the "aha!" personal recognition of one of the paths that I have already been traveling; one that will continue to challenge and surprise me as I continue my journey.

(apologies for coming across so dramatic....it's hard to explain to people who aren't in the same place...thank you in advance to those who do understand what I am trying to say)

Old 01-12-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I.Love.You.

You do ASA proud, cuteASAbug!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AMEN (Panhellenic) SISTER!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL...I feel you. After helping organize a Gamma Phi Beta luncheon, and being the guest speaker at said luncheon yesterday, our Alumnae President e-mailed me this morning with the following laundry list of things to do:

- Send her the names of everyone who attended yesterday

- Send her the group photo from the luncheon

- Follow-up up with one of our alums regarding a possible future activity

- E-mail her the names of three specific sisters who attended a function last month

- Add a new member to the roster and our e-mail list

I guess I'm supposed to do all of that right after I send the Fall 2007 scholarship information to the chapter advisers and right before I type up the minutes from our last House Corporation Board meeting! Unfortunately I am a little bit behind because I was already busy sending in two submissions for the next edition of The Crescent.

Hehehehehe....I'm glad to see that you're being as utilized as I am!! Sometimes I wish I could be a collegian so that I would "only" have to attend chapter, dinners and mixers. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi
The work that alum members do is rarely glamorous, and serves the greater good.
Yeah, giving presentation on disaster preparedness to a group of "senior sisters" is hardly glamorous. I think some potential AIs don't quite realize that they won't be in a position to relive their college days. As an alumna, it's more about what you can do to serve a chapter or the greater organization.

High five to the AIs who don't sit on their behinds!

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 01-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal recruitment is this week for the chapter I advise and it is Sarah Ida Shaw award time so there is much paperwork, Columbus Area Advisor Training in February, and we have a field consultant coming in the next 2 weeks...busy busy bee....but again I would have it no other way
Old 01-15-2008, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Ummmm......if you don't like how much you do, just say no. It's as easy as that. But whether you mean to or not, you all have a "look at everything I do, feel sorry for me" sound to your posts.

And don't even think about jumping down my throat about what I do or don't do for my sorority......
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I think they are just saying that AIs can, and do, contribute a great deal of time to their GLOs - just as those of us who were collegiate members can/do.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
Ummmm......if you don't like how much you do, just say no. It's as easy as that. But whether you mean to or not, you all have a "look at everything I do, feel sorry for me" sound to your posts.

And don't even think about jumping down my throat about what I do or don't do for my sorority......
I don't think any of us were saying "feel sorry for us." Personally, I was just stating what I all do for my organization as an AI. I love being involved with Tri Delta and I would not change a thing. I'm sure the others who have posted feel the same way about their respective organizations. I don't see any reason why any of us would "jump down your throat" about what you do or don't do for your sorority.

Last edited by BuckeyeTriDelta; 01-16-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTriDelta View Post
I don't think any of us were saying "feel sorry for us." Personally, I was just stating what I all do for my organization as an AI. I love being involved with Tri Delta and I would not change a thing. I'm sure the others who have posted feel the same way about their respective organizations. I don't see any reason why any of us would "jump down your throat" about what you do or don't do for your sorority.
I didn't get the "look at everything I do, feel sorry for me" impression at all from these posts.

If it means anything, and I know I'm not speaking for them at all, it just seems like it was put out there to show those interested in AI (especially the ones who only want to join because they want to re-live their college days/missed out on sororities in college) that it's not about sitting on their asses and getting to wear letters after Initiation Day.