GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,182
1 members and 1,181 guests
3DGator

Old 04-06-2003, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to vukkg
Question Philanthropy Events

Hey everyone,
Our chapter's goal for next year revolves around creating a philanthropy event. What do your chapter's do? How successful are the events? Please help guys....we're kind of at a loss as the last 2 events, while really fun, didn't really benefit our charity all that much.

Loyally, Lisa
Old 04-08-2003, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to utah_kkg
philanthropy

we have 2 philanthropy events in the year, one in fall and one in spring.

in the fall we do "kappa gobble". all the girls bring one or two pies, and ice cream, and we invite all the fraternities and sororities on campus. we charge about $3, and we made about $800 dollars.

in the spring we have "kapp-o-soup". We have mom's each make a pot of soup, and we get rolls/bread and dessert donated from local businesses, and basicly it's the same setup as kappa gobble, but we charge $5 and sell shirts for like $10-$15.

we're also doing ongoing stuff this semster, like knitting scarves or hats, and we tied little fleece baby blankets for an informal recruitment event.

PM if you have ?s. i'd be glad to help!!

L&L
alice
Old 04-09-2003, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter does a Balloon Pop in the fall at our homecoming football game. Each bolloon has a ticket inside. Kappas stand inside tha gates selling each balloon for $1. During the game they annouce for everyone to pop their balloons to get their ticket. Then there is a raffle and prizes are given out. I just joined, but I have heard that it's always successful and it's a lot of fun.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to vukkg
Keep em' coming!

Thanks so much for your ideas!! Keep those ideas flowing!!
Old 04-14-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking bowling!

We have Kappa Kingpin.... a bowling tournament between different fraternities and sororities. Each chapter has to pay to sign up... and then we raffle off items and sell t-shirts at the event. I heard that last year they also had a costume contest to see who could show up in their best "Kingpin" outfit.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ideas I've liked

I like the ideas I see posted - I think I've heard the Kappa-soup one before.

A related idea is a Cansome-Ransom. I'm stealing this idea from a local GLO on our campus but it's very clever - they "kidnap" people from other organizations, greek and non-greek (one year they kidnapped the "RA" from a floor) and to bail the person out your organization has to cough up 100 cans of food to be donated to the local soup kitchen. The "kidnappies" watch movies, get fed pizza, and have a great time while in jail. Fun idea I think, and really low-effort for high reward to the charity.

Another fun idea is to make being active in the community part of the philanthropy. One year we helped a local charity sell a dozen flowers except 6 flowers went to the designated person, and 6 went to a local nursing home delivered by a sister (or to a cancer ward at the hospital, etc). Furthermore, all profits went back to the charity organization. It was a great idea, if we had the woman-power we would have tried to do it completely ourselves. (you need lots of "deliverers") You can look to the cancer society's daffodil days as a bit of a model - although this is a twist on that program.

My chapter (Delta Xi) does a thing called quarter-mile-of quarters, where organizations collect quarters for the children's hospital, they also rent inflatable games and face painters and have a whole festival on campus on the day when they "count" the quarters. But that is way more complex than I can explain on this board ) It is very cool though - the whole campus loves it.

Best of luck with ideas!!

Loyally,
Paula
Old 04-06-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lilcros104
Thumbs up Kappa Klassic Philanthropy

I'm a Kappa at WVU and this year, we had the first annual Kappa Klassic 4 man scramble at a local golf cource. All the boys loved it! In years past, we had a 5 k run on a saturday morning. It was getting to the point that the boys hated it because they'd be hung over from Friday night and would get sick during the run! But we got polo shirts made with a lil fleur-de-lis on the left of the front and then on the right sleeve, it said "kappa klassic". The girls got to drive the boys around on gold carts (always a fun time). It was a lot of fun and you all should look into it!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

we just had a volleyball tournament on sunday afternoon, where teams had to bring 50 cans to enter. we had local businesses donate prizes for the winner and all the sisters helped judge lines and assist in other ways! it was wonderfully successful!!
Old 04-21-2004, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

We had an annual event that was really fun-a Hot-Tub-A-Thon at the main dorm area where we had a local hot-tub place donate the hot tub for 24 hours (with advertising a-plenty all around the hot tub), then groups or individuals could purchase 1/2 hour time slots to use the hot tub. On a Saturday, we had no problem filling all the spots. It was fun!

Raffles can be very successful with little work involved, which is something to take into consideration.

Good luck!