GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,501
0 members and 2,501 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Rerush for the spring?

I just found out that I did not get a bid from the fraternity I was rushing for. The rush co-chair said that since I came in a little bit late, I was not able to meet many of the brothers. Thus, the bid committee was not able to nominate me for a bid, since I only got to talk to 3 of the brothers before rush ended. He told me to consider spring rush, if I am still interested.

I am wondering...should I continue to go visit the house and hang out there, and maybe even attend a few of their chapter events in the fall? Yes, I know I did not have a bid and that I will not be a pledge because of that. But I still want to rush for that fraternity in the spring.

So, is it wise or possible to keep on visiting the chapter house, socialize and talk with the brothers and pledges, and maybe attend a couple of their events...even though I am not in the fraternity (cuz of no bid)?

Or should I break off contact until the spring rush?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyJackson View Post
I just found out that I did not get a bid from the fraternity I was rushing for. The rush co-chair said that since I came in a little bit late, I was not able to meet many of the brothers. Thus, the bid committee was not able to nominate me for a bid, since I only got to talk to 3 of the brothers before rush ended. He told me to consider spring rush, if I am still interested.

I am wondering...should I continue to go visit the house and hang out there, and maybe even attend a few of their chapter events in the fall? Yes, I know I did not have a bid and that I will not be a pledge because of that. But I still want to rush for that fraternity in the spring.

So, is it wise or possible to keep on visiting the chapter house, socialize and talk with the brothers and pledges, and maybe attend a couple of their events...even though I am not in the fraternity (cuz of no bid)?

Or should I break off contact until the spring rush?
Out of my lane, but what did the rush chair tell you to do? Has anyone invited you to hang out with them more?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Do not just show up at the house, hang out there, or attend their events, unless you are invited. If you do this stuff without being invited, you just might get a spot on GC's "Weird Rush Stories/PNMs" thread.

Let the rush co-chair know that you are still interested and if they have any rush events scheduled throughout the semester, you would like to attend. Let them take it from there.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I would also add that it is ok to socialize/talk with the brothers and pledges "outside" of fraternity events - especially if you are friends with them. And if you want to “hang out”, again, do not invite yourself to fraternity events but simply ask them to join you in some non fraternal social event.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I told the co-chair that I am interested to rush for them again in the spring. He didn't really say much, just that I should consider spring rush and contact him with any more questions I might have.

So, ok...don't go to the house and events unless invited. That's fine by me.

And no, I have not spoke to any of the brothers since I found out that I did not get a bid. So now I gotta focus on my GPA, since they require a GPA minimum for everyone from 2nd-semester freshmen and up.

So does that mean I should just break off contact with the fraternity until spring rush?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyJackson View Post
So does that mean I should just break off contact with the fraternity until spring rush?
Probably not. It'd probably be fine to have a 'state of the relationship' talk though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of a young man this very thing also happened to a few weeks ago during recruitment at his school. The rush chairman called and told him that the guys he met had good things to say about him, but unfortunately, he did not meet enough of the brothers. He was also advised to rush again in the spring, but was also told that he could come by any open events the fraternity has this fall -- parties, tailgates, anything that was open to all students -- and use them as opportunities to meet more brothers prior to spring recruitment. If this fraternity you're interested in has open, campus-wide events, they may be a good time for you meet more guys. Unless something falls under that open category, though, I would not attend anything or show up without an invite.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 PM

I think you need to chill and make male friends - from ALL THE DIFFERENT FRATERNITIES - before you even think of rushing again. Don't crash parties if they're not open. Don't put your life on hold until you get a bid - which is what it seems like you're doing.