GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 604
0 members and 604 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Reading reactions on FB, I think people are forgetting what not guilty means.

Not guilty doesn't mean "we think this person had absolutely nothing to do with the things they're charged with and is an awesome person."

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-05-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-05-2011, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
the jury is smarter than i thought. they will not speak to the media after all-the chickens!
Chicken shit idiots.

I'm watching the people furious & almost rioting after this verdict was read. Wow. I agree with their sentiments though I wouldn't go so far as to riot & have that kind of reaction.

I get that they didn't go for 1st degree but to completely set her free? No 2nd degree murder conviction? Just shocking & appalling.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
We need to be careful here, though - while the case was largely circumstantial, circumstantial evidence is still evidence, and should usually be given the same consideration as direct evidence (per instruction of law).

Hell, most of the time circumstantial evidence is more reliable than eye witness testimony. It's hard to say whether jurors correctly applied the law as given to them, but it does seem like a pretty straightforward decision path.
I know circumstantial evidence is evidence, but there were some holes there. I think for a lot of people, the fact that she didn't report her daughter missing for a month is all they had to hear to convict her. She's not exactly the type of person any one of us would want to be friends with, and she hasn't been proven innocent. The jury just didn't feel like they had enough to convict her.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe the people I'm friends with on facebook - "I'm so upset I almost cried." "I'm sick to my stomach right now."
Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlove13 View Post
This case is the most ridiculous and sickening thing ever. The jury should be ashamed! I live in Orlando and people are RIOTING over it, I'd be scared for my life if I was associated with the case in any way.
This is really alarming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeah, the little I saw of this case made me question these exact things. Just because she did a lot of things that look suspicious doesn't rise to the level of direct evidence. I feel sorry for jurors. It's hard to follow the letter of the law when you may have that gut feeling that someone is guilty but the State hasn't proved it beyond a reasonable doubt.
Agreed.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Just now heard about it. The first place I went to was here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHB4GCyufE

The comments are hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I can't believe the people I'm friends with on facebook - "I'm so upset I almost cried." "I'm sick to my stomach right now."
I know?! Who gets sick or emotional about a little precious baby girl being suffocated, bagged, and thrown in a swamp by the person who was supposed to protect her with her life?!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
I know?! Who gets sick or emotional about a little precious baby girl being suffocated, bagged, and thrown in a swamp by the person who was supposed to protect her with her life?!
Who gets so emotionally invested in the outcome of a trial where the prosecution FUCKED THINGS UP that they feel sick or like crying, or blame the jury?

It's not the jury's fault. They did what they were supposed to do. Now it's up to Nancy Grace to further water down the facts and get on her high horse about how only kids with a "bad mother" are in any sort of danger.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hyperbole doesn't help the matter. No one is commenting about that. They are commenting about the jury failing to convict Casey, and you know it. That's two different things.

BTW, the world will continue to turn despite the fact that Casey Anthony was not convicted of murdering her daughter. Even if she was, Caylee would still be dead. This woman had a pretty sh*tty life before this and will have a worse life after...even if she does cash in on a Lifetime movie. (Personally, that is a good reason to stop watching Lifetime.) There are lots of kids who are abused and killed everyday, and we never avenge them. Why all the attention on this singular case?

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 07-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Who gets so emotionally invested in the outcome of a trial where the prosecution FUCKED THINGS UP that they feel sick or like crying, or blame the jury?

It's not the jury's fault. They did what they were supposed to do. Now it's up to Nancy Grace to further water down the facts and get on her high horse about how only kids with a "bad mother" are in any sort of danger.
No, they just want to get home! Can't sit through the penalty phase, one of them has a cruise. Forget the little girl.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, they just want to get home! Can't sit through the penalty phase, one of them has a cruise. Forget the little girl.
Whatever. If you really believe that there are people out there who are more worried about getting to their cruise than taking their positions as jurors seriously, your crazy. All it would take is one person to complain, and that person would be kicked off the jury in favor of an alternate. Do you think seriously that a juror would risk the wrath of the public by letting her off if they really didn't think they couldn't convict? Seriously...a cruise?!

AOII

Old 07-05-2011, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, bite me. You and I both know that Nancy Grace in particular but most of the media has been hyping this whole case up since the day Caylee was reported missing.

Why would folks who live thousands of miles away get so worked up about a trial in which they A. don't know the victim or the defendant B. don't live in the same state or even time zone as the victim or defendant or C. aren't in the courtroom, don't have the full story about what happened in the courtroom, and don't have the full story about what happened in the jury room? What's the point of having a physical reaction to that? And then posting about it on facebook?

Is it terrible that Caylee died? Sure. But the jury was able to find reasonable doubt as to Casey's guilt. They did their job. It's an example of the justice system working - not that it's broken. If we tried every potential criminal in the court of public opinion, and it carried jail time, we'd be fucked as a nation. Completely and totally fucked.

No, though, because Casey's white, middle class, and pretty, she should have been a "Good Mom" because after all, that's the only way white, middle class, pretty women know how to act! But because Caylee died, and she had issues (and yes, I think a lot of her lying and partying and whatever was stemming from issues), she was a "Bad Mother" - and everyone knows "Bad Mothers" are not only guilty, but beyond a reasonable doubt, and how dare the jury find anything different when they follow the instructions of the court?

I don't pretend to know whether she did it or not, and honestly the only people that do are those directly tied to the crimes, but I think the jury did their job and don't deserve to be vilified. If the case was lost, it's either the prosecution's fault, or the defense's very good job.

And yes, it certainly helps my position that there are thousands of kids who go missing every year that we never hear about. Who's getting emotional about those kids?

Last edited by agzg; 07-05-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Whatever. If you really believe that there are people out there who are more worried about getting to their cruise than taking their positions as jurors seriously, your crazy. All it would take is one person to complain, and that person would be kicked off the jury in favor of an alternate. Do you think seriously that a juror would risk the wrath of the public by letting her off if they really didn't think they couldn't convict? Seriously...a cruise?!
Nope, i think they all want to get home. The cruise juror is just one of them. They asked no questions, asked not to review anything. Nothing. Miscarriage of justice.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
If you believe that this is what happened, you should lock yourself in the trunk of a car. First, no chance the other jurors would go along with it. Second, all research indicates the most important driving force for jurors is getting the answer right - it is taken as seriously as possible. You are NOT the only one who "cares about that little girl" - you are not a unique snowflake.

Stop watching stupid people jabber on TV and pick up some reading material not by Grisham - U of Nebraska has an entire department dedicated to jury research, start there.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

It's always nice to have a discussion with someone who has made up their mind based on emotion rather than logic. agzg, I totally agree with you. One thing about all this, too, is that I'd rather see 100 Casey Anthony's walk free than to see 1 innocent person locked up. (Feel free to insert the name of any person you think may be guilty of some crime.) We have enough innocent people behind bars as it is. It's not the way our Forefathers imagined our legal system. They put in the jury of our peers to make sure that no innocent people were sent to prison. Justice doesn't always feel so warm and fuzzy.

AOII