GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,218
1 members and 1,217 guests
Low D Flat

Old 04-08-2003, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThumperISU
Who has the best Campuses for Greek Life?

I was just wondering if your respective Universities are strong or weak in regards to greek life. I know we consider ourselves pretty strong at ISU (15 soror, 28 Fraternities) and although we are losing Alpha Xi Delta , hopefully we will not lose any more in the near future.

Also, our numbers are down.. is that a nationwide problem or just with us?

btw... - ISU = Iowa State Univ.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2003, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, IFC and Panhel has always been the same, but I think for the cultural GLOs, my campus is pretty dope.

2 Asian Frats, 3 Asian Sorors, 2 Latino Frats, 2 Latino Sorors, 1 Multicultural frat, 2 Multicultural Sorors, compose one council that's as strong as the other two, plus NPHC has gotten bigger.

I just wanna see more greek love at SDSU, for all the stuff we all do, we get hated on a lot too.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThumperISU
Stan...

My cousin Amber is an Alpha Gam up here at ISU, and if memory serves correctly she was dating a SDSU member. I think he was a Delta Sig. Maybe I'm wrong.

Kinda sucks what happened with the Delta sigs up here.

-Sean
Old 04-08-2003, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep, that did suck.

SDSU, San Diego State?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I always thought that Syracuse University had a good campus for greeks although I was not a student there. I just visited a few times when we had a chapter. The houses were great and the campus seemed to support greeklife from a visitor's perspective.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Washington and Lee University = Best campus for Greeks on the Nation.

With a student body of only 1700:

15 IFC Fraternities
5 NPC Sororities
75% of women are Greek (Typical quota around 35)
80% of men are Greek (Typical pledge classes 10-20)
Old 04-08-2003, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
DePauw?

One of my very good friends attended DePauw University (in Indiana) her freshman year. She said about 80% of the student body was greek (don't know if those are 'official' stats or her estimate, tho.)

She didn't go greek there- most of her friends did. (But she transferred & went greek @ her second school, which was also my school. A school that was about 10-15% greek ). She also said that was pretty much the only social scene on campus. So even the few non-greeks could be spotted at parties.

From her stories it always sounded like a pretty pro-greek atmosphere.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 04-08-2003, 10:10 AM

stan, what happend at ISU. ?? If you have to PM me.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...te+Delta+Sigma

Here's a link to the original story. ISU ended up getting suspended or expelled I forget.

Just what we needed during a rebuilding process for our fraternity.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

While DePauw has a high percentage of Greek students, I have heard that a lot of faculty at DePauw are very anti-Greek, precisely because it is so dominant.

Washington and Lee is a huge Greek school considering it is so small. My great uncle was a founder of Lambda Chi Alpha there in the 1920s.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Illinois

Well, I would say Illinois is a good place to be greek. Besides being the largest, we are extremely self-governing. I used to sit on the Vice Chancellor's Board of Sorority Affairs, and a good portion of the voting members were students.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
While DePauw has a high percentage of Greek students, I have heard that a lot of faculty at DePauw are very anti-Greek, precisely because it is so dominant.

Washington and Lee is a huge Greek school considering it is so small. My great uncle was a founder of Lambda Chi Alpha there in the 1920s.
That's SO awesome! The Lambda Chi's here are great. 6 years ago, they had 9 members, total, and were looking at losing their house/charter. Then they totally went out there and start rushing. Now they have an incredibly diverse group of guys, lots of international students and just really, really nice people that can find a home there. The pledge class from my year there (spring 2002) had 18 guys, second only to KA's 20, and we have the Alpha chapter of KA! One of the best Greek resurrection stories, ever!
Old 04-08-2003, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Umm.. SFSU is pretty WEAK greek school we have 3 NPC sororities 3 NIC fraternities, one of which JUST got chartered after I think two years of being a colony. The largest group on campus I think has 45 people and NONE of the sororities have been at total in about 15 years until this semester AGD is at total for this semester. Only 2% of the school is greek. We do have MANY MANY multicultural options though. The local/ national multi cultural GLOs totally out number the "Traditional" frats/sorors affiliated with NPHC/NPC/NIC so I guess that is a cool thing about our greek system.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Our Greek System is still trying to grow. Right Now, the NPHC out numbered both NIC(us and TKE's) , NPC (AEPhi and Theta Phi Alpha), and the Locals ( Delta Omega Fraternity and Chi Delta Epsilon Sorority). overall, 7 fraternities and 7 sororities. we about between 1-2% of the CSU population that are members of the greek community.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
well it deffinately isn't Clarion U of PA. The greek population on our campus has declined in the last year or so. Plus now we're having problems with whether to expand or not and if so who should we allow on campus
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare