GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,397
0 members and 1,397 guests
No Members online

Old 06-13-2002, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Where's our Sorority council??

Here's a little thing that popped in my head the other day.

A lil' history: At my Alma Mater, there are only 2 NPC orgs. One got permission from their HQ not to do formal recruitment...fine by my chapter(our HQ is still waiting for a letter tho).

So for the past 3 years there's been no formal rush....we've both complained about "dirty" rushing though...just to each other's president since - and here's the real problem - we've had no functioning panhellenic council. 3 yrs ago they thought it was a waste of time...but I'm sure having 2 or 3 delegates meeting maybe once a month, if that, would be beneficial for all. I mean, there are other things besides recruitment to talk about! (And it is required by our National.)

It was nice to see this past year, however, that the women showed support for each other's activities (they came to our pasta night, we went to their steak dinner, etc) But they haven't had an actual sisterhood together (which we did have when I was active my first year)

I guess, since the chapters are so small, both rebuilding, it's hard to focus on every issue that concerns them, and now that I'm alum I have more time to think about those things.

Any suggestions for mildly asking the women to look into this again? (I butt in so often, they don't mind, but I'm sure eventually I'll get on their nerves)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2002, 09:25 PM

MooseGirl,
Your situation is very similar to Wilfrid Laurier, Carleton and U of Ottawa...all have 2 NPCs and a smattering of locals.

I don't really have any advice, but maybe because there is just the 2 groups, there is a feeling of "us" vs. "them".....
You want to forward your question to NeonPi...she is the grand guru on matters like this, and yes, she is from Canada!
Old 06-13-2002, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, CutiePie2000 (she's so cute...)

MooseGirl, I'm in the process of moving back to Toronto this weekend. Please PM me and we could set-up a time to chat and such once I get settled.

I too came from a 2 group campus (Calgary) so I know the feeling! You can still have an effective Panhellenic - it just needs some patience

Look forward to hearing from you!

In the bonds,
Shala

Old 06-14-2002, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I come from a University where there was my local sorority and two NPC sororities so if you have any questions let me know...I might be able to help you out.

Have a nice day
Old 06-14-2002, 03:20 PM

Just wondering...there must be an IFSC at windsor? I sit on the IFSC at Ottawa, there's 6 members - one to represent each organization.

Collectively, we decide what's best for the greek system, with respect to each group's concerns and regulations. I don't see a point in having a Panhel with only 2 members, reaching concensus would be difficult.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil_G
I don't see a point in having a Panhel with only 2 members, reaching concensus would be difficult.
If there are two or more NPC sororities it's required that you have Panhel.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Our campus does have an IFSC but the last few years it hasn't been functioning well...this year it did impove tho...
However, since th GLOs will now have club status, the IFSC will not (the student gov doesn't see it necessary) so it is up to the individual groups to keep it going...I'm sure they will, I hope.

I just felt there is a need for a Panhel group cuz there are issues relevant only to us sororities....and also to help us maintain contact with each other...it's kinda hard for the Panhellenic delegate to write a report when she can't track down a member of the other group who can answer her questions. And as the advisor keeps reminding us, we were the first NPC group on campus so it is our responsibility.

I guess I'm just worrying because I'll be moving away and I still want to be involved (I won their "most active alum" award this year ) ....

Like I said, they're in a rebuilding stage...prolly returning with 10 members(yes that's actually a good # since last yr they had 4) and they need all the help they can get!