GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086

Old 10-01-2001, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

"Sandwich Artist" at Subway. Ugh.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-01-2001, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
My worst job was probably the one I had this summer. I worked as an assistant to my neighbor who sells Mary Kay cosmetics. I basically did everything she didn't want to do. I had to make all of these cold calls to women I didn't know and ask them if they wanted to try Mary Kay. NOT FUN!!!! I'm a sensitive person so of course I took every hung up phone call to heart!!!!! And to top it all off...the pay wasn't even that good.

Allison
Old 10-01-2001, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such a funny thread! My worst job: I worked at the GAP my senior year in hs, and they scheduled me to work on the day of my graduation-even though I had asked off..then my manager got mad when I told him I couldn't work that day! And they would schedule me to work inventory-which was like, from midnight until 2 a.m.-I was like, hello-I go to school! No way am I working that!Everyone who worked there was so rude..and they would assign us, like, parts of the store to work in-so when a customer came to that part of the store, we would like, lurk there and try to make them buy more stuff. I hated that job, because I'm just not pushy! We would also have to mark down on these cards what we had sold for the day, and I would always lie so I wouldn't get lectured...man, I hated that job!!
Old 10-01-2001, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
XO_Prinecess I hear ya! I worked at the Gap for a month my senior year in college and they yelled at me for being late when i had been in a car accident on my way to work, and then wouldn't give me time off when my grandmother was ill and i wanted to go visit her. And all that stupid clipboard folding! ack! hated it!
Old 10-02-2001, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
lol at sandwich artist!
Old 10-02-2001, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Sandwich Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by aTmAggie
"Sandwich Artist" at Subway. Ugh.

I have to respond to this one because, during my first year as a Rusher, we had a girl come through Rush who put "sandwich artist" down on the resume she sent in to Panhellenic. Since we always look for something on the resumes to help us remember the rushees when they come to a party, that really stood out! She was the "Sandwich Artist" from then on, and I found out later that the other sororities on campus had remembered her the same way.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
LOL that sucks for her she will always be sandwich artist to every girl that saw her. Some people need to watch how they word stuff or its a perminant nickname for them.
Old 10-02-2001, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You guys make me feel great about my jobs... worst one ever, though was KFC. Don't get me wrong, I still love the food, but I was 16 and 17 and they would keep me there until midnight LITERALLY! And that is against child labor laws. My legs would hurt from mopping the floors and the grease burns,.. I still have scars! Then when I complained about having to work too late they got mad.
ANother bad one was as a server... I got really sick and was hospitalized and didn't come into work for a week. THe manager went and told all the other servers that I was lying because I didn't call in every day (Sorry, I was in a hospital bed recovering! How dare me!). Then when I came back and confronted her she lied about saying anything and said my doctors note was not for the entire week, only the last day... she couldn't read that it was my DISCHARGE date. I quit and had the General manager read my letter about why I quit. She ended up getting fired for revealing employee confidentiality (My illness) and also for trying to fire me... when i was in the hospital.

Facebook
Old 10-02-2001, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyleggedsigma Send a message via Yahoo to crazyleggedsigma
Angry I BEAT ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to be rude, but I HATE hearing people complain about retail. Here is how I have spent my last two summer and winter breaks: working at an egg processing plant. Yes, that is what I said. You all have probably heard of Egg Beaters-the no-cholesterol egg product that comes in cute little cartons? Well, those eggs have to be cleaned and broken by someone, and that someone is me! If you have read my other posts, you know I'm from Southern Illinois, where basically you can work at WalMart or wait tables for people who think $3 is a generous tip. Riiiiiiiiight. I get up at 5:30 Monday-Friday and shlep in that slop for 8 hours a day (or 9, plus 6-11 on Saturdays if we get a rush order), five (or six) days a week. And for $7/hour. And no employee discount to show for it.

There are three jobs that I do (we rotate-there are three people on a machine and we switch every 15 minutes to prevent repetitive motion injury...).
1-take stacks of trays of eggs (180 or 210 at a time-about 20 lb. each) and put them on a ramp, put the pallet on a stack when it's empty, dump buckets of inedible eggs (this is egg from shells that break during the cleaning process, or eggs that have blood in them-ewwww), etc.
2-move to the other end of the ramp and take the trays of eggs one at a time and put them on a conveyor belt that takes them into a cleaning machine
3-stand at the other end of the cleaning machine and pick off the eggs that didn't get all the crap (and I mean that in the most literal sense of the word...these are from chickens, you know...) washed off in the first pass, or have blood in them (they roll over a light and you can see through the shell for this)

Oh, and in this process, I get raw egg splashed all over me-you can't begin to realize what this smells like. In my hair, on my skin, you get the picture.

The only thing that makes the job bearable is that my best friend since 6th grade works on the same machine. And it is a 4 minute drive from home, as opposed to the waitressing jobs, which are half an hour.

The Gap doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Last edited by crazyleggedsigma; 10-02-2001 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:02 PM

ilovemyglo-
I actually got my manager in trouble too for revealing employee confidentiality. This past summer, I worked at Abercrombie for $6 an hour. It really sucked because I had worked at fine departments stores like Bloomingdale's in past for over $9 an hour. It was so hard to find a job this summer....it's Orlando so it's not that hard to find some college student who's willing to work for minimum wage. And, there's no Bloomingdale's in Orlando. So, I took the job at Abercrombie which was a 45 minute drive plus $4 in tolls. On top of it, my car eats gas so I was filling up twice a week. Abercrombie purposely highers 50 plus employees in their stores. Do the math: 50 plus employees...that means that each person will work a max of 15 hours that week. But, almost every month, the floor set changes and you have to buy all new clothes...Abercrombie does not allow you to wear sale items. Their clothes aren't cheap and the employee discount bites. So, I'd spend about $300 there every month just so I'd have clothes to wear to work! So, 15 hours a week, 4 weeks in a month, $6 an hour, $300 in clothes...I'm only making $60 profit. Abercrombie really doesn't lose that much money on their employees. Plus, that $60 went to tolls and gas to get to my job...I was making no money. I ended up in debt from working there and had to beg my parents to help me out! I called my manager and explained the situation to him. He was all pissed. He went and told my co-workers the reason why I quit. One of them came up to me on campus one day and said, "I heard you quit because you had all these bills and you were in debt...." Called HR that afternoon. I know that manager got a written warning for that. Hah Hah. And to those who even consider working for that company, here's a little phrase for you that all Abercrombie ex-employees know: "Working for Abercrombie and Fitch is not a job, it's a hobby."
Old 10-02-2002, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I said this before

Tie between cashier at Sports Authority and restaurant hostess. The cashier job was sooooooo boring. The hostess jobs were EXTREMELY stressful, what's worse people think that the job ONLY consists of taking people to their tables/booths, that's the tip of the iceberg.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 10-02-2002, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Phone Based Research!!! Sucks!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

The summer before my freshman year of college I worked for an environmental group and I had to go door to door asking people to donate money to environmental causes. I'm not talking about 5 dollars either, this group expected us to collect $50+ per family. It was such a sham too because 40% of the money donated went straight into our pockets and even more went to "administrative costs." Very little money went to helping the environment. I was fired after the second day because I wasn't aggressive enough. I should have reported them to the Better Business bureau for running a shady charity.

The next summer I worked for a group that sells knives door to door. Yup, knives. I was afraid of carrying knives around all day so I quit before training ended.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
You guys make me feel great about my jobs... worst one ever, though was KFC. Don't get me wrong, I still love the food, but I was 16 and 17 and they would keep me there until midnight LITERALLY! And that is against child labor laws. My legs would hurt from mopping the floors and the grease burns,.. I still have scars!
I have to echo your sentiments here. As soon as I turned 16, I wanted a job (actually i really wanted the paychecks... ) I grew up in a small town so all there was basically was fast food. I worked at Popeye's Chicken which was about the same as KFC... I would stay there till all hours going back home smelling like chicken even though I was just a cashier... had to mop floors.. put up with some mean people, and yes, those ever-wonderful grease burns. After awhile, I just couldn't put up with it anymore!!

I don't eat the food anymore, but if there is one thing I miss about working there, it's the rest of the crew. I worked with the most awesome group of people (minus one of the managers...)and we have all done our best to keep in touch (one of them is getting married this month and I'm going to see her on her big day!!!)
Old 10-02-2002, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lionlove:
The next summer I worked for a group that sells knives door to door. Yup, knives. I was afraid of carrying knives around all day so I quit before training ended.
Were they Cutco knives?! I know so many people who did that!