GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,233
3 members and 1,230 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 09-11-2002, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
kappa legacy

i was just wondering, what does kappa do for legacies? i am a sigma kappa and love it, but i just found out this past weekend that my great grandmother was a kappa kappa gamma and my grandmother was a kappa alpha theta. is there any set in stone criteria that you follow when you get a legacy through rush? i've heard some organizations (sigma kappa being one of them) must give a bid to a legacy. let me know. i'd love to know if i could have been a kappa cuz i did rush with them for a while. oh, and if it is more of a local choice thing, i went to miami u of ohio.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 09-11-2002, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school, which had three rounds of Recruitment (two plus pref), all legacies were automatically invited to the second round. Should the legacy attend Kappa's pref party, she would automatically be placed on the first bid list. Kappa is not required to give bids to legacies.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacies

As usual, KappaStarGirl has it right; Kappa treats its legacies with the respect they deserve, but in no way guarantees bids to legacies.

At my home chapter (Delta), we frequently released women who were legacies, because we likely felt they would not be a good fit with the chapter.

For Kappas, a legacy is the sister, daughter, granddaughter, or great-granddaughter of a Kappa. The Fraternity expects that each chapter will
grant every courtesy and thoughtful consideration to these young women who have a special link to the Fraternity through their Kappa relatives.

According to Fraternity policy, each chapter must establish a legacy rule that will allow all members an opportunity to meet and consider each legacy for membership. Alumnae should assist chapters in membership selection by providing
references on as many potential members as possible. Alumnae are expected to understand and accept decisions of the chapter, which has the final responsibility for membership selection.

The responsibility for notifying a chapter that a legacy will be participating in Membership Recruitment and for providing a reference lies with Kappa relatives and friends. An active
member in good standing may submit a reference for any potential member, except one participating in Membership Recruitment at the college or University the potential member attends. Any alumna in good standing may recommend a potential member to any chapter.

It is important to note that a growing number of legacies are participating in Membership Recruitment. On some campuses, legacy potential members outnumber the available Kappa bids. Chapter members have many qualified non-legacy
friends they desire for membership. Alumnae and actives must cooperate to promote a fair experience for everyone. The Fraternity expects that each chapter, in its special privilege of membership selection, will grant every consideration to our legacies, who are a special link between Kappa's past and future.

To protect a legacy's privacy, chapters are not expected to notify her Kappa relative if she is not invited to an event or extended a bid.