GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,625
0 members and 2,625 guests
No Members online

Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Starting a Local Sorority.. I need HELP!

Hey everyone!!!
I am transferring from Penn State Altoona to Penn State Harrisburg and I was interested in being in a sorority. However, THERE ARE NONE at PSUH! I was very disappointed. So, I contacted the activities director and she gave me the idea of starting one. So here I am.
She told me the first step was to see if there was an interest, so I made a group on facebook. I have had an incrediable response. So many girls are intertested in a sorority.
However, I need advice on how to start a sorority. I know I want the ALS organization to be our charity. I wanted to know how do you pick a name? (being part of NPC is out of the question for right now, since I will be the only sorority, and according the the NPC website there has to be two sororities on campus). I am hoping that with my starting none sorority that some other girls will get the idea so this sorority can become part of NPC. I also wanted to know how to recruit and how to pledge. Just ANY ideas you have will be appreciated!!! Thanks everyone!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174

Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Banned

Just to clarify really quickly, the campus can open to expand for a chapter of an NPC group (your group/sorority becoming affiliated with an existing NPC organization). To have a Collegiate Panhellenic Association/Council (sort of a governing body of ALL sororities on campus) and have THAT be affiliated with the National Panhellenic Conference there has to be at least two chapters of NPC groups on campus. So you CAN have only one sorority on campus and it be a chapter of an NPC groups.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks Beryana, I didn't know that. I thought that you had to have 2.. So i CAN become part of an already known sorority, such as Kappa Kappa Gamma?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The campus has to "open" for expansion.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't get your heart set on any one NPC... some NPCs will not have interest to expand at the present time on your campus.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndeheart View Post
thanks Beryana, I didn't know that. I thought that you had to have 2.. So i CAN become part of an already known sorority, such as Kappa Kappa Gamma?
Your new sorority could become a Kappa colony, however, there is a process to that as well. You don't just decide to be a Kappa chapter:

http://www.kappakappagamma.org/Conte..._a_Chapter.htm

First, your school must be declared OPEN for expansion. No NPC sorority can be added without that.

Second, there is no guarantee that Kappa would be interested in colonizing at your school.

I'd steer clear of focusing on a specific NPC sorority because there are no guarantees that that sorority will be interested in your group and your school.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-20-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Your best bet would be to contact your Director of Student Life, set up a meeting, and talk to him/her about the possibility of greek life on your campus. Keep in mind that there very well may be a good reason for no greek organizations to be there. The administration would be the final say on whether or not the campus is open for NPC groups, AFAIK, and the Director of Student Life (or student development or whatever - whoever heads up the entire department that student organizations fall under) would be a good start.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

i've already contacted the director of student life
Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndeheart View Post
i've already contacted the director of student life
Did you set up a face-to-face meeting?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

yes
Old 05-20-2009, 06:53 PM

The reason Penn State Altoona and Penn State Behrend have NPC groups is that they have a large amount of students who will spend all 4 of their years there. If the Harrisburg campus is primarily students who do their freshman and sophomore years and then transfer to Main Campus, NPC isn't going to want anything to do with it.

Get a hold of the statistics of the campus before you expound a lot of energy and get your hopes up.

I thought there used to be a fraternity where guys from the branches all joined up when they got to Main (Penn State people, please help me find a better way to put that) but I don't know if that exists anymore.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I know there are frats there... that are there all 4 years.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

PSU-Harrisburg

I'm wondering if you are the one who has an entire group on facebook devoted to getting KKG to come to Penn State Harrisburg. If so, as it was stated before-don't get your hopes up on ONE particular NPC.

PSU-Harrisburg has some NPHCs, as well as, TKE and Kappa Sigma. Everyone in those organizations have the option to get involved with the Penn State-University Park chapters once they transfer (I'm pretty sure-depending upon how each group specifically works). Either try starting a local chapter OR if you are considering on transferring to U. Park-just WAIT until you get there and actually get a chance to rush an NPC! Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I'm wondering if you are the one who has an entire group on facebook devoted to getting KKG to come to Penn State Harrisburg. If so, as it was stated before-don't get your hopes up on ONE particular NPC.
Exactly.

You can have an entire group of girls who want to start a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma, but in order for that to happen:

1. Your school must be open for expansion.

2. KKG must be interested in coming to that school. NPC sororities are quite selective when it comes to deciding whether they want to have a chapter at a certain school. They have to determine whether a chapter would be able to really thrive there.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wpheonix Send a message via Yahoo to wpheonix
I recently started school again and whe I first started school I had wanted to join a sorority but because of health reasons I could not. Now I am back in school (graduate program) and I feel that I never got to accomplish one of the things I wanted in college. Unfortunately my college does not have a sorority, and I am worried that since I am a graduate student I do not have the same opportunities. Can someone tell me what my options might be. Thanks