GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,129
2 members and 1,127 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-16-2001, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Does Anyone Read: Sister 2 Sister Magazine or Today's Black Woman

Hi Everyone
Yesterday while in the dentist's office I had the chance/opportunity/misfortune to pick up Sister 2 Sister magazine for the 3rd time ever. I was never fond of it to begin with but yesterday's reading reminded me of why I do not subscribe to or purchase this publication.

For one, it is toooooo, how do I want to say this, GHETTO is not the word but, okay, how's this: SUPERFICIAL, TRITE, etc. The interviews last for almost 10 pages and they sound worse the writing that my freshman students do in their interviews. They actually put their good byes in the end. The magazine's GOSSIP SECTION or WHO SAW WHO WHEN AND WHERE is really superficial.

Then the other magazine: Today's Black Woman should be called TODAY'S BLACK WOMAN'S SEX LIFE because EVERY ISSUE is about sex. Be it how to improve our sex lives, sexual fantasies, what makes a man go nuts in bed, etc. I don't know about the rest of the BLACK women but sex is not the biggest part of my world. My mom bought both of us a subscription and we both are disappointed with the overall tone or slant of the magazine.

I know every magazine will not be the next Ebony or Essence or Vibe but Sister 2 Sister is worse than my last issue of Right On magazine from the early 90s.

Your thoughts. . .

------------------
Black is a mystery, and part of my history. Black is bold and worth a hell of a lot more than gold.
Old 01-16-2001, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

No doubt Soror!

I have been very disappointed in some of the magazines for Black Women, today. As you stated, all magz can't be Essence (Ebony is "something" to me as well. Not very well written).

Black Woman (is that the name?) is very superficial. Also, has anyone notices that the cover model looks 3-4 shades lighter than they do in person/movies, etc. Toni Brax wa son the last and she looked like very light skinned, lighter than usual.

What's up with that?

Old 06-18-2001, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of magazines. . .
Old 06-18-2001, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Ugh! I hate those two magazines along with Ebony...poorly written, superficial, and TOO many articles about sex. The only magazine for black women that i give props to is Essence.

------------------
*someday...if it's in God's will*
Old 06-18-2001, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Does anyone read the 'Honey' magazine?
I have been thinking about subscribing to it, but haven't heard any good or bad things about it?

Any info will do?

Thanks

------------------
Treblk
MSK94 Xi Chi
'Delta Seeks No One, Wise Women Seek Delta'
Old 06-19-2001, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

afraid i have to agree with you, crimosontide. that s2s magazine, although i do pick it up sometimes, is poorly written. this "editor" jamie writes like she is chit chatting with one of her homegirls on the phone. the gossip section used to actually contain celebrity gossip (which we all know i like ) but now, it's all "_____ invited me here and while i was there, i saw ______" it sucks!!
Old 06-19-2001, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Honey is like a slightly 'younger' Essence. I like it!

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk:
Does anyone read the 'Honey' magazine?
I have been thinking about subscribing to it, but haven't heard any good or bad things about it?

Any info will do?

Thanks

------------------
MCCOYRED
Mu Psi '86
BaltCo Alumnae

Dynamic...Salient...Temperate...Since 1913
Old 06-22-2001, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with MeezDiscreet, it is written on a basic level. It is sad to say that there are not many good magazines out there for "US." Ebony/Essence/Jet...talk about superficial AA people. They do mention those who have EXCELLED academically, who have overcome some obstacle. But, not the everday person.
Old 07-22-2001, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shannieglass
I don't read very many magazines..I get Honey though (for free of course) and it is ok..I wouldnt pay for a subscription though..I recommend Heart and Soul though. The show that comes on is great, and the magazine is pretty good as well.
Old 07-23-2001, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by MeezDiscreet:
afraid i have to agree with you, crimosontide. that s2s magazine, although i do pick it up sometimes, is poorly written. this "editor" jamie writes like she is chit chatting with one of her homegirls on the phone. the gossip section used to actually contain celebrity gossip (which we all know i like ) but now, it's all "_____ invited me here and while i was there, i saw ______" it sucks!!
I can't stand that woman, Jamie. It seems as if she is bragging about who she knows and where she went and every other page she is on it at some function with one of the celebrities. It's just a fake magazine but I do like reading the gossip!
Old 07-24-2001, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Yes, I've had the misfortune to browse through Sister to Sister and Today's Black Woman. Both magazines were quit superficial and contained way too much smut and gossip for my taste. I'd prefer more inspirational and fact driven stories. Those mags are a twist between Cosmo and the Enquirer. Absolutely too much going on!
Old 07-25-2001, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that those magazines (S2S and Today's Black Woman) are superficial, but if you look at it most Women oriented magazines are. I mean it's nice to be up on the latest fashions and make-up, but it seems to me that most magazines for women revolve around improving yourself and your lifestyle to get a MAN instead of for YOURSELF.