GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,707
2 members and 1,705 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 11-30-2010, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

A Tale of Two Schools (Retro Recruitment)

After rereading, yes rereading, some of the recruitment stories on this site, I've decided to share mine. I'm graduating this semester and find myself thinking about the beginning more frequently.

So here it is: My retro recruitment story... GTown Cupcake Style (all the sororities will be cupcake flavors: mainly because I am craving cupcakes!)

My first semester of college was horrible. I was homesick, stuck at a school that was overly political, and downright miserable. My grandmother had died the week before school began and so I missed my school's 'welcome week', basically when everyone goes wild and meets each other. So I had started off on a bad foot, then to make matters worse my financial aid had gotten messed up and instead of a mostly paid for tuition I was stuck at a ridiculously expensive private school that I HATED.

The one redeeming light in my eyes was a group of women that I had met, lets call them Pumpkin Spice. They were everything that I had wanted college to be; classy and sassy, with a bit of a wild streak. They were the kinds of girls that you sat down with and every five minutes someone new and different would be talking to them about some ridiculous activity. In my mind they were everything I wanted to be.

The school had deferred recruitment so that semester I sat and had dreams of wanting to be a Pumpkin Spice. Little did I know that things were about to drastically change.

In October that semester, once I finally stopped hating my life (mainly because of Pumpkin Spice) my father was diagnosed with liver cancer and given 6 months to live. While the school I was at was close, there were some schools closer and with mixed feelings I applied to transfer. Happy to be leaving the school and be closer to home but devastated to be leaving Pumpkin Spice.

The school I had transferred to was HUGE in comparison, and I was immediately lost. Leaning on some of the girls from my old school they convinced my to go through recruitment at my new school, telling me it was the fastest way to find a home. My new school had deferred spring recruitment as well so I decided to give it a shot remembering how much better life had been once I had the Pumpkin Spice girls.

Unlike my first university my new school had FOURTEEN sororities. That was double what my first school had. As much as it was daunting I was positive that with 14 chapters I could find a place to belong. As an added bonus there was a chapter of Pumpkin Spice here too!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

With equal parts excitement and terror I signed up for formal recruitment and met my Rho Gamma who was something else entirely. My first thought with her was wow, I never knew anyone who embodied the expression bouncing off the walls quite so well. She was a bundle of energy who was just so VERY excited to meet us all, and VERY excited for recruitment, and VERY excited to guide us. She then referred to us as her ducklings and thus earned the name Mama Duck, which has stuck to this day.

Our schedule was something like this
Day 1a/1b: House Tours (14)
Day 2: Philanthropy (10)
Day 3: Skitnight (6)
Preference (3)
BID NIGHT (1!)

The sororities in this story are as follows: I would list my general impression of them, but I literally had no idea, having just transferred and knowing NO ONE.

Chocolate
Red Velvet
Sunshine
Vanilla Birthday
Key Lime
Coconut
Lava Fudge
PB Fudge
Toffee Crunch
Cinnamon
Mocha
Pumpkin Spice 2.0
Salted Caramel
Irish Creme
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

yay! im excited to read the rest of your story!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
mmmmmmm this thread is making me hungry
Loved by a Zeta Psi
Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The use of Yellow is killing my eyes.