GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,526
0 members and 1,526 guests
No Members online

Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
How tragic. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with everybody affected by this, and with our newest chapter of sisters.

I too flipped from CNN to FOX and was shocked by the insensitivity of that front picture on FOX. I can't imagine being a parent, looking at that picture and realizing that one of those kids was my son or daughter. I understand that this is big news, but they need to show some sense of decency here.

???? It's the same picture.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
???? It's the same picture.
Yes...one's just a cut out of the other.

ETA: Not anymore - Fox has a WORSE one than before.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
How tragic. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with everybody affected by this, and with our newest chapter of sisters.

I too flipped from CNN to FOX and was shocked by the insensitivity of that front picture on FOX. I can't imagine being a parent, looking at that picture and realizing that one of those kids was my son or daughter. I understand that this is big news, but they need to show some sense of decency here.

ETA: CNN, FOX and MSNBC all have the same picture now.... so it's not just FOX
MSNBC is showing pics as well (I'm watching their live coverage via the 'net) and some are of students very bloody and hurt (graphic). I hope no one is finding out anything about their child that way.

ETA: The one FoxNews has is one of the same ones that MSNBC had.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I just heard about this.... so so tragic My heart aches for the family & friends of the victims
Old 04-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Is there anyone here on GC who goes to VT? There's close to 60 GLOs there, aren't there?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post
MSNBC is showing pics as well (I'm watching their live coverage via the 'net) and some are of students very bloody and hurt (graphic). I hope no one is finding out anything about their child that way.
Whether they know or not, I cannot believe what the media is doing. I would not want bloody, dead pictures of my child or other loved one on the internet.

HC: I know we'd all like to hear something firsthand, but I doubt anyone there's first thought was "Hey, let me go post about this on GC". I'm sure we'll hear something in a few days.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Whether they know or not, I cannot believe what the media is doing. I would not want bloody, dead pictures of my child or other loved one on the internet.

HC: I know we'd all like to hear something firsthand, but I doubt anyone there's first thought was "Hey, let me go post about this on GC". I'm sure we'll hear something in a few days.
My post was more out of worry than anything else. If it offends anyone, I'm truly sorry.

The latest count is 32 dead. I can't even imagine how this happened!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
My post was more out of worry than anything else. If it offends anyone, I'm truly sorry.
I'm sorry...I thought of that after I posted. I was just thinking that you were looking for firsthand news.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post

ETA: The one FoxNews has is one of the same ones that MSNBC had.
They said on MSNBC about 40 mins. ago the university is in the process of contacting the parents whose students were injuried or killed.

Truly heartbreaking......
Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

All of my close friends and my cousin are accounted for. My concern now are high school classmates. I can't even fathom how VT is going to function in the coming weeks.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I'm sorry...I thought of that after I posted. I was just thinking that you were looking for firsthand news.
No prob.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Three of my co-workers have children at Tech...it took all three forever to get in touch, they said all the cell towers were down, but finally were able to get in touch via email and IM. Luckily two had been sleeping, and one was on another part of campus. My cousin goes there and I haven't heard anything yet...still hopeful though. I'm waiting to hear back from her parents. Lots of other employees here are worrying about nieces/family friends/etc, also. Seems like everyone around here is close to someone at Tech. My heart goes out to all the families.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Fox News is reporting 32 dead. I am hoping and praying that there were not that many victims. Cardinal, please let us know when you find news about your cousin.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduated from VT not that long ago, so I know many people still on campus and have friends in grad school/work there now.
And i feel like I could honestly get sick at my stomach right now plus am deeply saddened by this. I know of one person who was shot in the arm and have heard from someone who was in AJ seeing the victims taken out of the building.

I just happened to be working from home today and have been sitting in front of the tv (unable to work) all day.

Virginia Tech has always been the safest of areas and you feel completely at ease in this very close knit area.

I just don't understand how someone got killed in AJ and crossed that large amount of space then entered norris hall. The drillfield is an open expansive area that you must cross across to get from the dorms to academic buildings.

This had to be planned and it is very strange that there have been multiple bomb threats in recent days.

And many have spoken about the cell towers being down, these are not shut down. These are just overwhelmed right now to the point that they shut down. (I work for a large company in this industry) we have worked for many years trying to get more towers in the area and on other campuses. When the morva thing happened the same thing happened with the towers. this is a major problem that we have tried to address with them.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM

I have 2 friends that go there & they were in touch via IM this morning to let me know that they are alright. I'm praying for the students there and their families/friends.

Lakers Nation.