GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,353
0 members and 1,353 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2000, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

LXAAlum- I understand your frustration completely. This is just one part of the bigger issue of consistent and long-term bad PR for all GLOs nationwide.

The only way to really fix this problem is for Greeks of all ages to register and vote, for ANY candidate.

Can I rant? I do respect that democracy also includes the freedom NOT to vote. BUT, if you do not vote, you lose your right to complain.

And... THE WORST... PLEASE do not put a sticker on your car supporting one party or candidate, because you think it makes you look cool... when you have never even seen the inside of a voting booth!

It is not to late to register for the 2000 elections! Please pick up a voter registration form the next time you are at the library or post office. (and don't throw out that old excuse - "I am registered in my hometown" - why be registered in your hometown when you KNOW you are going to be away at school every November?! Fill out a new card!)

I am in this generation of collegiates and young alums... we have never known war... we have never known a serious economic depression... we enjoy every single privilege of living in the most powerful country on the planet...
and yet as a group we cannot give back even fifteen minutes of our time once every four years to help select a leader...

okay, that's about enough outta me. Can you tell I am very passionate about citizenship?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2000, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Thumbs up

Well said about the responsibility of citizenship. I, however, have been through a war, an economic recession, etc....that is why I vote, and why I vote the way I vote.

I'm still wanting to hear from others about this change in perception on GLO membership - is it a media spin on Bush specifically, or, has the entire climate undergone a change?
Old 09-21-2000, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if the posts on the greeklife board are correct (and if I remember correctly), Gore is also a member of a fraternity. My guess is this is an attempt to try to make Bush look more "socially elite." Which, let's face it, GLOs are... or at least have that reputation, due to selective membership intake.

Actually, what bothers me more at the moment is that people are making voting decisions based purely upon the way a candidate looks than on their platform, beliefs, record, etc... and I think we've all seen that trend develop over the last decade or more. It's as if the average American is too lazy to look beyond appearance and hype.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now.

[This message has been edited by BFulton (edited September 21, 2000).]
Old 09-22-2000, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Angry Greeks and politics....

I'm frustrated. I remember seeing on rush materials, nationals websites, chapter websites, etc...extolling the virtue of greek membership: the old "all but 3 of the presidents this century were greek" etc...arguments on benefits of being greek.

Here's my frustration: yesterday, I was listening to a talk radio program, and a lady called in to the host regarding the upcoming election, and why she didn't want to support Bush. Her response was that he looks like a "frat boy"....????? Aren't both Bush and Gore GLO members? When did fraternity membership become a liability? I've also seen references to this in the press about Bush's old "frat party days" etc...

I'm not sure about Gore's GLO affiliation, but Bush is a Skull and Bone from Yale (as was his father, also a DKE). S&B is one of the most secretive societies, but, their membership boasts of the who's who in the world as far as politics, business, etc...

I know the media has a bias towards the liberal candidate, and maybe that has something to do with it, but it really angers me that what has been considered honorable in the past is suddenly a liability.

Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2000, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs down

Quote:
Actually, what bothers me more at the moment is that people are making voting decisions based purely upon the way a candidate looks than on their platform, beliefs, record, etc... and I think we've all seen that trend develop over the last decade or more. It's as if the average American is too lazy to look beyond appearance and hype.
In American society, we prefer tall men and average-sized women (in general). Americans almost always vote for the taller of the 2 candidates. Something to think about

As for the concept of greeks in politics (or other visable positions).. I think that people continue to be misinformed. They think that "frat boys" were a bunch of drunks in college, and now that they're alumni they get handed all kinds of stuff because of their "status". I don't know if this has changed, or if people are more vocal about their opposition to this (imagined) scenerio. Given that 20 years ago the media would have never publicised the kind of stuff they did w/ Clinton, I think Americans today are more willing to look for faults in their leaders (heck, they search for them!).

What's unfortunate is that most Americans really don't know the benefits of being a member of a GLO. Leadership, time management, etc. ... all very important in any government position.

On the other hand, most politicians are still members/alumni of GLO's (or BGLOs if we're making the distinction). Obviously, some of the stuff they learned in these organizations has paid off in their careers, and people are still voting for them.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter