GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,582
1 members and 2,581 guests
Tridentia
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Then please, in the future, don't post about something to serious without having the facts. Unless you knew her directly, which it doesn't appear that you did, you were just posting rumors and gossip. Obviously you can see now how that tends to turn out.
Agreed, and let me add to that -- if someone ever suspects inaccuracies/rumors being posted, please contact me ASAP so I can remove the offending material. I realize it's not necessarily against the TOS, but we want GC to do more good than harm, right?

ETA:

Pursuant to a very reasonable request, I have gone through this thread and removed just about any fact which was either known to be false, or was at this juncture only a rumor. As a matter of policy, please refrain from posting things in serious threads such as this unless you know those things to be true.

I will try to stay on top of things, but if anyone sees anything which is either not true or at this point unsubstantiated, please inform me ASAP. Let's just make sure GC doesn't get any rumors started which may end up in investigations/consequences for innocent parties.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 05-08-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Agreed, and let me add to that -- if someone ever suspects inaccuracies/rumors being posted, please contact me ASAP so I can remove the offending material. I realize it's not necessarily against the TOS, but we want GC to do more good than harm, right?

ETA:

Pursuant to a very reasonable request, I have gone through this thread and removed just about any fact which was either known to be false, or was at this juncture only a rumor. As a matter of policy, please refrain from posting things in serious threads such as this unless you know those things to be true.

I will try to stay on top of things, but if anyone sees anything which is either not true or at this point unsubstantiated, please inform me ASAP. Let's just make sure GC doesn't get any rumors started which may end up in investigations/consequences for innocent parties.
Thanks.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems like SDSU has a lot of alcohol poisioning/accident deaths occur... the school seems to turn a blind eye, and I really think students (not just greeks) need more education on binge drinking dangers.[/quote]

Does the school really turn a blind eye or is there just a limit to what they can reasonably do to prevent students from willingly participating in alcohol abuse? ( I am not speaking about this particular individual. The local news has only reported that the death is under investigation. )
The school has over 25K undergrads...most are well over 21, and it's primarily a commuter campus. Students who live in the dorms tend to be younger, but they don't usually live there for more than a year or two. A very small percentage of students actually live in greek housing at SDSU...it's far more popular to live in off campus apts, mini-dorms or out at the beach. SDSUChelle, do you know if all new students must participate in the substance abuse prevention program or just the greeks?

I'm terribly sad for this young woman, her family and Alpha Phi. Alpha Phi at SDSU has an excellent reputation.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
To my knowledge only greeks participate in substance abuse prevention programs, but I never lived in the dorms so I don't know if they are required to also. However, when I was a new member with ADPi, I honestly can't remember being required to attend any type of event centered around substance abuse... then again I could have missed it.

Since SDSU is such a commuter campus, it seems important to educate ALL students on the dangers of binge drinking... even if it's as simple as putting more articles in the Daily Aztec, holding rallies, putting up posters... whatever. It's not just the dorm kids who drink a lot, but a lot of commuters come to the area on the weekends looking for parties.

*edit* The Daily Aztec has a new article about Jenny's death: http://media.www.thedailyaztec.com/m...-2897997.shtml. They're reporting that she had attended Alpha Phi's formal on Saturday night before she died.

Quote:
Poliakoff, who many called "Jenny," returned to her apartment on May 6 after attending her sorority's formal the previous night. At about 9:40 a.m., Poliakoff's brother, who lived with her in the apartment, found her dead in her bedroom, University Police Lt. Robert McManus said.

The chapter dispatched two regional officers who arrived in San Diego on May 6. The officers and Alpha Phi International officials will work with the chapter and its members to provide whatever support may be necessary, Doug Case, the coordinator for the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life, said in a statement.

"Their (Alpha Phi) national has instructed them not to talk about this," Case said. "Once they have a more definitive cause of death, they will release that."

Alpha Phi has pledged to the university that it will cooperate in any investigation of the circumstances surrounding Poliakoff's death, Case said.

Last edited by sdsuchelle; 05-09-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my first time on GreekChat, but I was searching for Jenny's name on google and came upon this site. I am go to SDSU, and am in another sorority here at state. I have a few friends who are in APhi, who live in Jenny's apartment complex, and they have filled me in on what really happened earlier that day/night of her death.
<EDIT> linked to the story because they had their annual <EDIT> , where Jenny had been drinking <EDIT>. Later that evening <EDIT>, and after she had sobered up, she thought it would be alright to <EDIT> continue drinking at the dance. When she got back to her apartment with her friends she continued to drink, and she had apparently gotten too drunk <EDIT>. The next morning my friends woke up to Jenny's brother screaming about how she was blue and stiff. She was long gone, no ambulence or fire trucks came, they just took her away because it was far too late to revive her.
This is just what I have heard from my friends, the autopsy results were supposed to be in by yesterday, but we'll see when they are actually released to find out what the real reason of her death was.
Anyway, it's a horribly tragic occurence and it has affected everyone in the Greek system here at SDSU.

Last edited by Kevin; 05-09-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Please see notice to be stickied to top of forum.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

ETA:

Uh Kevin? Can you take some sort of action on the post above mine?

queenofpink, I know that you're just trying to keep everybody informed, but please take note of the moderator's post. Whether or not what you say is true, I think it's a bad idea to say that "she did this and that" if you can't provide the facts to back you up.

Just a thought.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

OTW:

I'm on the case
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Only 19. That's just really sad.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

What a horrible, horrible tragedy. Its a shame that most of this thread has been dedicated to "he said/she said" bickering. As opposed to focusing on terrible event that took place, and the wonderful person the deceased was.

One has to recognize the efforts of the GC moderators who have been keeping this thread focused on facts. There are a lot of rumors circulating, and it takes effort to get through the BS. We certainly had to sift through a lot when doing our article on this tragic incident.

My heart goes out to the friends and family who knew this young lady, and all those who posted messages on my blog and this board.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I was by State today. Had lunch right by the DG house with my daughter who just returned from Semester at Sea this AM. On the DG house is a nice banner that said "Alpha Phi, our thoughts are with you." I was really touched to see sisterhood expand beyond one's own house.

DaffyKD
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 PM

My friend is an SDSU Alpha Phi alumna (she lives in OH now), and she flew down as soon as she heard about this. She wanted to be there for at least a few days to provide some support to her sisters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

This is so sad and a real tragedy when we lose a fellow greek. My deepest sympathy to her family and to the sisters of Alpha Phi. My God be with you!!!!!

__________________________________________________ __

Zeta Beta Tau

Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

How sad a young woman lost her life... focus on that and stop the bickering.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXi1257 View Post
How sad a young woman lost her life... focus on that and stop the bickering.
A very good thought.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
The medical examiner has confirmed that Jenny died from acute alcohol and cocaine intoxication.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/13489238/detail.html
Closed Thread