GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,254
0 members and 1,254 guests
No Members online

Old 02-04-2002, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a fraternity after college, even if you join a GLO in college

Ok ya'll, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but I have a question: I know that when you join your GLO in college, you're not allowed to join another. So here's my question. My campus is the medical branch in a larger system (the UT system)-at my campus we have a nursing school, a med school, OT, PT, etc.... There are 3 fraternities that the guys in med school can join-they hold Rush, initiation, etc. I have a bunch of friends in XYZ fraternity, and I got to thinking-could you be in a fraternity in college and join another at med school? Or is that not allowed. I think the 3 fraternities are associated with the med school; they're not national or anything. I know for some it would be a personal choice not to join. I was asking my Hunny about it and he wasn't sure if it was against the rules, but his opinion was that he's an AB and he couldn't ever be anything but an AB. So, if anyone could clarify, I would appreciate it! Thanks ya'll!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-04-2002, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

If you are a member of a National GLO that is a social organization, you cannot be a member of another national (or local) GLO that is a social organization. However, you can join an honor society or service society.

Hope this clears the water a little.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
My older bro joined AEPi in undergrad, and is now pledging a law fraternity (the name escapes me) in law school.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, the fraternities down here are definately social ...I was just curious if it made a difference between undergrad and a grad school.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow more info...

It's my understanding that a fraternity/sorority member of a National social GLO is not allowed to join any other social Greek organization, no matter how long ago they pledged their first group. It would be the equivalent of me being initiated into Delta Zeta, and then, 6 years out of college, trying to become an alumnae initiate of Alpha Delta Pi. It doesn't matter if you are an undergrad, grad student, or alumnus -- it's still not allowed under National GLO policies.

However, if I decided to join the Junior League in my city, I could do that with no problem. Although Junior League is a social and service organization, it has no Greek affiliation, therefore it is not considered a "conflict of interests."

I hope this makes sense!
Old 02-04-2002, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if I have a *real* answer to your question, but I'll try anyway.

When I was in law school, there were three law fraternities, and, yes, they had "rush" events and initiation and everything, and seemed to have primarily social events, although that may not have been their intended purpose. However, I have never heard of anyone not being able to join one of these law fraternities because he or she was in a GLO in college, and nobody asked if you were in a GLO in college when joining a law fraternity. I would guess that it's the same at medical school, but I'm not sure. I think that the grad. school greek orgs. are considered more professional than social, even if you don't really do anything "professional" with them.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Just as a point of reference…

Some one who is initiated into an NIC fraternity (www.nicindy.org) cannot become a member of an NPHC fraternity. (I know that there are a couple of NPHC fraternities that are a member of NIC but that is a different topic.)
Old 02-04-2002, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
I don't know if I have a *real* answer to your question, but I'll try anyway.

When I was in law school, there were three law fraternities, and, yes, they had "rush" events and initiation and everything, and seemed to have primarily social events, although that may not have been their intended purpose. However, I have never heard of anyone not being able to join one of these law fraternities because he or she was in a GLO in college, and nobody asked if you were in a GLO in college when joining a law fraternity. I would guess that it's the same at medical school, but I'm not sure. I think that the grad. school greek orgs. are considered more professional than social, even if you don't really do anything "professional" with them.
Valkyrie is correct. The law fraternities and medical fraternities are usually considered "professional" organizations. So, even though they may have some of the same social aspects of a National GLO, they aren't really considered a "social" Greek group. Sorry, XO_Princess - I think I misunderstood what you were asking in your original post. I was thinking that the law fraternities you were talking about were local fraternities that accepted law students. If these are professional organizations, then a national Greek member can join them - no problem.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining more than one group

According to the Panhellenic Unanimous Agreements which all the 26 NPC sororities adhere to....

"A woman who is or who has ever been an initiated member of an existing NPC fraternity shall not be eligible for membership in another NPC fraternity." (http://www.npcwomen.org/policies/sel...agreements.htm)

I believe the same rule holds true for IFC fraternities. Way back in the day, you could join as many sororities as offered you bids. Then NPC got together and decided that membership should only be offered to non-affiliated women, hence the above statement. If you are unsure of whether the group you are wishing to join is in conflict with another, check the lists of NPC groups and IFC groups at http://www.npcwomen.org/memorg.htm (for NPC sororities) and http://www.nicindy.org/member_frat.htm (for IFC fraternities)
Old 02-04-2002, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

My buddy is 3rd year medical at your school and he joined one of the medical fraternities. (I think technically theyre professional orgs, but they have huge parties and houses, so I would be whoa too.) He was our chapter president, and then signed with them. I think the simularities to the undergrad chapters exist because so many of the med school students were greek as UG'ds and wanted the same feel they had then. It is really wierd tho to him talk about his fraternity and not be discussing ours.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for clearing things up ya'll!!
Old 02-04-2002, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

By the way, Lifesaver-do you know which one your brother joined?
Old 02-04-2002, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
My mother was an AOII and then 12 years or so later she joined a "sorority" that was composed of women whom some had been in glo's and other's hadn't. It was like a woman's sorority and they had meetings and stuff. I'll have to ask her what it was...for some reason I remember IOTA being in the name. All I know is that is how I got involved with volunteering because that is what she did in the sorority.

Hootie
Was it Psi Iota Xi? There is a chapter in my town, along with Tri-Kappa. Both are womens sororities, and they do a lot of philanthropy stuff. I won a scholarship from one of them...can't remember which though. I applied for so many my senior year of high school.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

You're not serious ... there really is a sorority called KKK????
Old 02-04-2002, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
You're not serious ... there really is a sorority called KKK????
No kidding! I had the same reaction!