GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,047
1 members and 1,046 guests
g41965

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Argh! Confused authors jack up GC discussions. Argh!
How are we supposed to know who to blame! j/k

My guess is that he was still 'on line' or whatever the appropriate terminology is.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Blame him just in case!!!!!1111111!!!!111111

Quote:
My guess is that he was still 'on line' or whatever the appropriate terminology is.
Hmph!

EE-BO told us not to be so concerned with the more minute details. *sitting down*
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

It is beyond reprehensible for a fraternity to even ask such a blatantly discriminatory question on a survey like this, let alone treat somebody in this manner. Maybe he should have taken a hint that this would be a group of bigots, but it seems like some of you are practically discrediting the obvious hatred these men showed and only half heartedly (or not at all) chastising them, while going in ruthlessly at the victim. So somebody should a) assume that this degree of behavior will happen to them because of one discriminatory question, and b) be silent instead of alerting the world to the prejudices and homophobia in the group? When I see responses like this are essentially rolling their eyes at a victim of hatred challenging the status quo (whether it be about religion, sexual orientation, race, whatever) I honestly find it near impossible to not assume the poster has these same prejudices to some degree...I just can't fathom any other way to make that argument.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It says that he dropped, so that's likely not that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article
And, ultimately, when Ruiz was prompted to seek medical attention after coming close to fainting it was not because of his sexual orientation. Ruiz was suffering from an ear and sinus infection, diarrhea, multiple bruises and was vomiting after meals. Ruiz told the doctors that he had been working out. The doctors concluded that Ruiz suffered from a lack of sleep. It was because of these illnesses-caused by the hazing-that Ruiz dropped out of pledging ceremonies.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Blame him just in case!!!!!1111111!!!!111111

Hmph!

EE-BO told us not to be so concerned with the more minute details. *sitting down*
You forgot to stomp your feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
It says that he dropped, so that's likely not that case.
It's really just not clear, we need another source.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

I can't find another article. Does that mean this whole story is fake?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

This is what I got out of the article
1. Ruiz dropped out because of health concerns over hazing.
2. After he dropped, his pledge brother confidant spilled the beans on him being bisexual.
3. Ruiz goes to the induction ceremony and is on-stage when people in the audience start heckling him/harassing him.

Gay or straight I wouldn't have gone to this type of event had I dropped from the fraternity, the possibility of something awkward or shitty happening is too high.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
2. After he dropped, his pledge brother confidant spilled the beans on him being bisexual.
3. Ruiz goes to the induction ceremony and is on-stage when people in the audience start heckling him/harassing him.

Gay or straight I wouldn't have gone to this type of event had I dropped from the fraternity, the possibility of something awkward or shitty happening is too high.
It doesn't make sense for him to be on stage though, unless we're missing some piece of information. If he were just in the audience it'd be one thing, but that wouldn't make it hazing anymore... although it wouldn't be any more appropriate. It makes it sound like he was a participant.

Blah blah bad source, blah blah
Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post

LOL. It seems as though being on stage is to call out those who dropped line. I can see a chapter doing that to embarass droppers and let other GLOs know this person should not be given a second chance. I don't know why someone would agree to be on stage.

Also, many people who drop will be in the audience (often teary eyed LOL) and sometimes chapters find a way to call those who dropped out in the audience.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Just catching up with this thread. I knew the "hilarity" that would happen, so I just went to bed. Anyway......

True story #1:

There was a young woman going through the MIP of a NPHC sorority chapter on the campus of TAMU. During her MIP process she felt that she was being hazed, so she reported the incident to a regional officer, who I'm told, is her aunt.

As a result, that NPHC sorority chapter was suspended from campus for three years.

True story #2:

My own undergrad chapter was having a problem for a while with former members coming back to try to haze current members. And by come back, I mean they would drive from Dallas and South Houston to College Station just to do this.

At the time I was the undergrad chapter advisor and worked to put an end to it. It got to the point that I told the former members that if they didn't stop I was willing to go so far as to just close the chapter until I felt it ready to be open again.

Point being - No, no one has to suffer at the hands of another, especially if they have the power to change the situation. I think this is going over some of y'all's heads.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
It is beyond reprehensible for a fraternity to even ask such a blatantly discriminatory question on a survey like this, let alone treat somebody in this manner. Maybe he should have taken a hint that this would be a group of bigots, but it seems like some of you are practically discrediting the obvious hatred these men showed and only half heartedly (or not at all) chastising them, while going in ruthlessly at the victim. So somebody should a) assume that this degree of behavior will happen to them because of one discriminatory question, and b) be silent instead of alerting the world to the prejudices and homophobia in the group? When I see responses like this are essentially rolling their eyes at a victim of hatred challenging the status quo (whether it be about religion, sexual orientation, race, whatever) I honestly find it near impossible to not assume the poster has these same prejudices to some degree...I just can't fathom any other way to make that argument.
I like you.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, it is not outside the realm of possibility for a dropee to attend a probate in support of his former line brothers.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Just catching up with this thread. I knew the "hilarity" that would happen, so I just went to bed. Anyway......
No one gives a shit.

Quote:
Point being - No, no one has to suffer at the hands of another, especially if they have the power to change the situation. I think this is going over some of y'all's heads.
Which is what he did. He turned them in when it targeted him for his orientation.

He was as 'responsible' as you're describing. Is it still his fault he got harassed, or is he off the hook because he didn't wear the short skirt?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No one gives a shit.

Apparently you do.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Apparently you do.
No, only care that you're trying, once again, to blame the victim. Which makes you an asshole. And then you try to blame your shortcomings on the rest of us instead of owning them.

Fuck off.