GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,730
0 members and 1,730 guests
No Members online

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
I think we keep it secret because it's fun that way. If it gets out, so what? It's really just not that big a deal if other people know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't want any part of my ritual getting out.
I'd wager that you are in the majority -- the large majority.

Quote:
Also, I think it's kind of odd when people say things like "only Tri Deltas can possibly understand the true meaning, even if other people read the ritual."
I think what people mean when they say that is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDTrish View Post
My ritual is important to me because I've lived it.
In other words, if you haven't experienced fraternity/sorority life in the context of that specific ritual and tried to live out the ritual, then the ritual is merely words on a page and has no deeper meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDTrish View Post
I think it's important to note that many rituals, initiation, etc weren't always secretive. Much of our (social Greeks) information was published for members and non-members to read. There are songs that included much of our rituals as well. If you are lucky enough to locate books from the turn of the century you can find information that is now considered secretive. I've seen a few of these books, Tri Delt, Chi Omega...about 4 others. Oddly, I found out I know which sorority tried to absorb mine - TWICE - because they published it.
I'm not sure that the latter example is ritual, though. It's certainly true, however, that in some groups there have been shifts over the years in what is considered secret. It's also true that publications for public consumption might give "clues" about a group's ritual. That said, as far as I know, except among the non-secret groups like DU, the essentials of the ritual have always been kept secret by most groups.
Quote:
Plus, they're all pretty similar anyways. Not necessarily the theatrics of the rituals, but the words and the meanings and the symbolism are definitely comparable.
And how do you know that?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

MC: I am also a member of that majority- don't get me wrong. If my ritual were leaked, I'd be sad and mad, but like I said, it wouldn't be the end of the world. My ritual is important to me and I appreciate it, but I was just trying to explain my thoughts on the question posed by the OP. I agree with my Tri Delta sister who said that she thinks it's really cool when she meets a Tri Delta on the street and knows that they went through the same ritual. I LOVE that! I mostly love that my grandmother went through the same ritual and that so many others went through the same ritual throughout years and years and years. I'm PMing you too.

Last edited by tri deezy; 06-10-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Gotcha.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I once read a question that was something like, "Do you keep your Ritual secret so others don't know that you don't uphold it?" Not really the reason for keeping it secret, but a good challenge to live your Ritual.
I agree, but I also agree with others regarding experiencing it and meeting/knowing others who have experienced the same. While I wish everyone's rituals would remain secret that are supposed to be a secret, I too would think it would be rather meaningless to someone who is just reading it/about it, rather than experiencing/partaking in it.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
I agree, but I also agree with others regarding experiencing it and meeting/knowing others who have experienced the same. While I wish everyone's rituals would remain secret that are supposed to be a secret, I too would think it would be rather meaningless to someone who is just reading it/about it, rather than experiencing/partaking in it.
I definitly think that just reading someones Ritual is not the same as experiencing the performance of it. Don't worry I'm not handing out copies and saying, "Please review this and make sure I'm upholding these values, thanks!"

Actually, when you think about it, that's what your brothers and sisters should be for. We have ten basic expectations and #8 is "I will know and understand the ideals expressed in my fraternity Ritual, and will incorporate them into my daily life." and #10 is "I will challenge my fraternity members to abide by these fraternity obligations, and will confront those who violate them."
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Actually, when you think about it, that's what your brothers and sisters should be for.
Exactly.

This might be a good time to provide a link again to Secret Thoughts of a Ritual.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE Secret Thoughts of a Ritual! When I heard it before initiation I think it was the first time I thought of Ritual in a deep way. Before it was more of a curiosity like, "OMG I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE LETTERS MEAN!" But after I really appreciated what Rituals are supposed to be. Every pledge/new member should hear this before initiation.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

Maybe they feel that theirs is special. Who is there to decide? I feel mine is special, how about yours? Do you want everyone to know?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It is something that is sacred and should only be shared when u go through the ritual and given the chance to be apart of it. I will never share my secrets, its all about being discreet! IF u wanted people to know what the rituals were about and what goes on then it would not happen in secret.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeason1 View Post
Maybe they feel that theirs is special. Who is there to decide? I feel mine is special, how about yours? Do you want everyone to know?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspretty08 View Post
It is something that is sacred and should only be shared when u go through the ritual and given the chance to be apart of it. I will never share my secrets, its all about being discreet! IF u wanted people to know what the rituals were about and what goes on then it would not happen in secret.
Sorry, but since this is the umpteenth hundred time I've seen this on GreekChat lately:

Unless you mean separated from, they're three words: a part of.

And while I'm at it, it probably makes me an old fuddy-duddy, but the use of u for you immediately makes a post lose intelligence points for me.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Hijack: apart when it should be a part is a huge pet peeve of mine. Especially because they're opposites!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

People using the wrong form of 'to,' 'too,' and 'two' falls in with 'u' and 'you.'

Last edited by pshsx1; 06-15-2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Fix
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooRah09 View Post
Secrets are what keep these organizations appealing. If people want to dedicate their lives to unveiling Fraternity and Sorority secrets, so be it. Even if they do uncover secrets, they'll never have the privilege or honor of actually know what they mean.
I agree.

And that was a good first post, by the way.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

There are many reasons for secrecy, most of which have been mentioned already. But there is one way to look at it that was explained to me that i really liked. My fraternity has a lot of secrets, a couple big, most small. For the most part they come from tradition which is very important to us. But on the issue of secrecy one of my alumni mentioned this to me. A lot of the stuff we don't share is secret because of what it means to us. He compared it to any other family. There will be things, family secrets if you will, that you only share within the family. It strengthens the bond between the members, and makes it seem that you are part of something unique that only you and your brothers have. I know know personally that I know secrets from various organizations, including most of an initiation I discovered by accident. While I did like some of what I learned, it didn't have the meaning to me as my own secrets were.