GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 312,639
Threads: 115,304
Welcome to our newest member, maimuspitty1287

Old 10-01-2003, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sahara27
Alumni initiation

Hey everyone,
I'm brand new here! I've been reading around here for a while, but now I actually feel like joining the group.
I am a senior at UMaine, and I'm planning on continuing to grad school (hopefully in Colorado!). I am involved with my school's service sorority (Gamma Sigma Sigma), but there are not that many active alumni chapters left... so I am REALLY interested in alumni initiation, because greek life has alwasy meant so much to me. Is anyone here from Colorado, or any nearby states, and can tell me about an active alumni chapters that I should look into? I am very interested in two organizations, and I am waiting to hear back from them! *crosses fingers* Would being in a service sorority help me get in? (we're non-NPC) Thanks! And hi for the first time!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi and Welcome! I'm fairly new around here, too. I began my AI search in August after contemplating it for some time.

I think that your experiences with Gamma Sigma Sigma would be looked upon postively. Especially if you have leadership experience. The alumnae will see that you are willing to share your skills with the group.

Some NPCs require that you be out of school for a number of years before pursuing AI, so you should check up on that first. As a current student, you may not get much response right away. Hang in there though! My advice is to visit the inter/national websites. Most of the ones I have looked at list all active alumnae chapters/groups/associations as well as college chapters, so you should be able to easily find what sororities are active in your area.

Best wishes for a great AI experience!!
Welcome to the "I check my e-mail every 5 seconds club"

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:43 AM

I know that BROOKE who is pursuing AI lives in Colorado, and also Gamma Phi Beta Sorority is HQ'd in Colorado.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to what has been said and I sent you a pm.......
Old 10-01-2003, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the help and support girls! I'll tell you what I find out.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:10 PM

Sahara,
In addition to what I wrote above, one thing that I wanted to do was point out that what you are aspiring towards is "alumnae initiation" (as you are a woman and this terms refers to women solely), not alumni initiation (alumni refers to men, or men & women combined).

I don't mean to be nitpicky, but when you are do decide to take the plunge on this and pursue it, it looks a lot more impressive when you use the correct terminology in your correspondence with the sorority or sororities that you have an interest in.

Other than that, I do think that your involvement with Gamma Sigma Sigma will be viewed as an asset, as it shows that you are concerned about philanthropy, community involvement, etc. etc.

BTW: I have now added you to the "list" here.
------------------------
Also, as for "what alumnae panhellenics exist in CO?"
http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae/a_directory.php
It appears that your choices are (not sure which city you aspire to live in):
1) Colorado Springs
2) Denver
3) Fort Collins

(Denver appears to have these groups represented:
Council Members
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha
which means that they have at least 1 person from that sorority living in the area...it does not necessarily mean that each group has an alumnae CHAPTER though, in Denver. Best to cross reference with each sorority's website which is usually www.sororityname.org )

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-01-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:11 PM

Location: Hoping the freaking BATSH*T psychos would disappear
Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I believe it will be seen as an asset. I am a member of Beta Sigma Phi and I definitely think it was an asset.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

AI In Colorado

Sahara,

So excited to hear you may be interested in AI. I too am going through this process and live in Colorado. There are many options here and I will do a little research for you to better inform you however, CutiePie's post was very informative. I will let you know what I find out as well. Welcome to GC and the search for your "home" - This site has been a tremendous help to me and I couldn't have asked for better people to help me a long the way.

Again welcome and I will do what ever I can do to help in your AI search here in Colorado.

I will be touching base with you soon.

Brooke
Old 10-01-2003, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the help (especially the alumni/alumnae thing!) I am looking at attending grad school at the University of Northern Colorado, which is right outside of Denver I believe. Wow, it's great to see that there are so many people here going through the same thing, or that can help me out so much -- thanks!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Sahara27!

It's incredibly funny, but I am an alumna initiate of Alpha Phi, and I just moved to Colorado last week! I'm just outside of Boulder, and I plan on getting involved with our Denver alumnae chapter, which as I understand it, is huge! I know we have several Colorado chapters, including Northern Colorado.

Good luck with whichever organizations you choose to pursue, and let me know if I can answer any questions or help in any way!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...need some help. I understand the alumnae/alumni thing. But I'm confused about pronunciation. There is an all women's college nearby, and I heard a staff member call graduates "alumnEE"...I've also heard (from different sources) "alumnAY" and "alumnA" (despite the additional "e"). So which is correct?

Thanks!
LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alsparky
LouisaMay,

Alumna is a single woman graduate, alumnae is more than one woman graduate. I have always hear the plural form pronounced "alumn-AY" - it's possible that it's a regional thing.

And just FYI, alumnus is a single male graduate, alumni is more than one man OR male and female graduates together.

I know that all of this was part of my New Member Education.

Hope that cleared things up for you a bit...

Allison
Old 10-02-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alsparky
LouisaMay,

Alumna is a single woman graduate, alumnae is more than one woman graduate. I have always hear the plural form pronounced "alumn-AY" - it's possible that it's a regional thing.

Allison
Might be regional, I've always heard it "alumnEE" There was a comment in another thread on this same thing and someone compared it to "knee" (sorry, I don't remember the whole thing).
Old 10-02-2003, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
There is a slight difference in the pronunciations, but so slight that it's nearly undetectable. If you said alumn-AYE for either the -i or the -ae spelling, that would be fine.

(This is what taking 3 years of Latin will get you - the ability to answer obscure trivia questions at the drop of a hat!)
Old 10-03-2003, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! I think I'll just avoiding saying it out loud

LM

Be a Volunteer!