GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,294
0 members and 2,294 guests
No Members online

Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Return of an infamous chapter...

This weekend, I read short article in the local paper of the return of Sigma Chi to U of NM. I remember how bad this chapter was and I am ashamed that UNM would allow the fraternity back on campus - after they were kicked off for taping a swastika to a black woman's car, among other things. Since their removal, the house has been turned into a Christian ministry and there are rumors of those students being evicted to make way for Sigma Chi. Its not like anything has changed either. Just a few months ago, the guys at the colony were busted for an on-campus party in which 44 citations for underage drinking were handed out. I wonder if any of you have heard some of the terrible things the Beta Xi chapter of Sigma Chi has done and I'm afraid for all the Greeks on campus now that they're chartered and about to get back the house!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 PM

#1 - The original incident that you refer to (the taping of the Swastika), occured in 2001. The fraternity lost its charter by our Headquarters for this and other incidents in Spring, 2002. That was 7 (school) years ago. Why blame the new chapter members for something that happened when they were in junior high/high school?

#2- I don't condone the drinking citations, but apparently neither did UNM or our HQ. Why is it a problem with you?

#3- To take further issue, Sigma Chi did not do the things you cited; members of Sigma Chi did. I don't blame other inter/national groups when members of the group do something stupid. Why are you?

So, to reiterate: It's a new chapter. Don't hold them responsible for what people did 7 years ago.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

And further if their housing corp. owns the house they used to be in/will soon be back in, they have every reason to take the house back from whoever is living in it. When fraternities get kicked off campus but own their house that's the normal procedure, they rent the house to another fraternity/campus organization with the understanding that they will be moving back in when they return to campus.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Normally, I don't allow BS like this to be posted in this forum, but since the BS is being exposed for what it is, I'll allow it until someone PMs me with a convincing reason as to why I'm wrong.

From all this holier-than-thou stuff, I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that jennasxo is either in the "Christian" organization being evicted or her boyfriend is in said organization.

If you don't like what's happening, buy your own damned house.

And while none of us are going to condone the drinking citations, acting shocked that college kids drank is a bit much, don't you think? Now, if a colony got 44 alcohol citations, I'd expect them to handle things internally. You're not due a press release as to how things are handled. Private organizations handle their affairs privately.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
#1 - The original incident that you refer to (the taping of the Swastika), occured in 2001. The fraternity lost its charter by our Headquarters for this and other incidents in Spring, 2002. That was 7 (school) years ago. Why blame the new chapter members for something that happened when they were in junior high/high school?

#2- I don't condone the drinking citations, but apparently neither did UNM or our HQ. Why is it a problem with you?

#3- To take further issue, Sigma Chi did not do the things you cited; members of Sigma Chi did. I don't blame other inter/national groups when members of the group do something stupid. Why are you?

So, to reiterate: It's a new chapter. Don't hold them responsible for what people did 7 years ago.
#1 - Thank you. I looked up this incident and was confused when I saw an article from 2002. I figured they had the date wrong or something, considering it's been so long since it happened... but the new members are now being blamed for that? Even if all of the students involved were freshmen, most would have graduated 2 years ago.

#2 - Obviously the problems that recently occurred have been resolved and handled. Otherwise, HQ and/or campus would not allow the chapter to return. If the fraternity was going to be detrimental to the Greek system, or to the campus as a whole, then I guarantee they would not be re-instated.

#3 - True statement.

@~/~~~~