GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Iota
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,527
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, aveasjnry6651
» Online Users: 1,391
0 members and 1,391 guests
No Members online

Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Romantic Relationship Between Sisters

Hello Sisters-

A fellow sister and I have been seeing eachother romantically for about a month now. The whole thing is very new to each of us - we have never dated girls before and we are just figuring out who indeed we really are. Regardless, we know that we are in love but we are not sure how to reveal it to the rest of our sisters or if there is something in the bylaws regarding relationships between sisters. We want our sisters to know how happy we are together but all of it is very frightening. Does anyone have any advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-08-2008, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you not have a copy of the bylaws? If not, you should have access to them.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Sure, but I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this before or had any advice otherwise. It's a pretty rough time and I'd love some help
Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Hi Jelly,

I haven't been through this myself--but....

First of all, have you and your gf come out to the chapter? ie-Does the chapter know that either of you are gay? I would see that as the first step. Keep in mind, that while different people have different views on homosexuality--they should still love and accept both of you as their sisiters-in the least.

A girl in my chapter (who has since graduated) is bisexual and the chapter did know. There was no problem with it, as far as I knew. Another girl in my chapter (also graduated), started dating a girl for the first time the semester I was initiated. Some of the sisters knew and some of them didn't. She is in my family, which is how I knew--but I was asked not to say anything. The sisters that did know had no problem with it.

Love & Roses sister. I'm sure it will all be fine.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

AlwaysSAI,

Thanks for the kind words. It's posts like yours that remind me how great this sisterhood is.

Only one sister knows about our situation and she is completely supportive.

My gf's roommate (also a sister) is VERY Catholic and we know that it would create a difficult atmosphere in their room if she knew, assuming she wouldn't move out. I know not all Catholics are homophobic, but let's just say that I am pretty sure she would be.

I love my sisters so much and it would devastate me if I or my gf got disgusted/dirty looks at our meetings or events. Also, I am the new VP Membership, so I am concerned that maybe MITs would be uncomfortable with me if they knew. It hurts to say that unfortunately not everyone views homosexuals or even bisexuals as equal citizens, even though what happens in one's bedroom is their own business, in my opinion.

It may be a better idea to only tell our closest friends within the chapter, because of the reasons above. Although all sisters should really love and care for eachother no matter what, I'm afraid that may not be reality. In an ideal world, maybe. It's just upsetting that we can't be who we truly are with our sisters. If not our sisters, than who else?