GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,679
1 members and 2,678 guests
ER_Pike

Old 12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Rush at Auburn University

I have a few questions about Spring Rush at Auburn if anybody can help me out. So due to several factors outside of my control (family issues, etc.), I was unable to go through Rush during the Fall. My question is, how many fraternities at Auburn even participate in Spring Rush? Second, should I go ahead and rush now? Or should I wait until traditional Fall Rush next fall? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how Spring Rush is viewed here. Would I have a better chance of getting a bid in the Spring of my freshman year or the Fall of my sophomore year? Thanks for your help.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

anybody help me out here?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll step in, even though I'm old and not from the Southeast.

Nobody's going to tell you what is the right thing to do. You're not out anything by going through informal recruitment so you might as well give it a shot. However, keep in mind that not all, and probably only a few of the chapters at AU will do an informal/spring recruitment and will possibly be by invitation only. They are only allowed to recruit if they are not at chapter total and for most at AU that's going to mean early graduations and new member drop outs, so not that many spots.

Advise the Greek life office that you are interested in informal recruitment, and if you know any sorority women personally you should express your interest to them. That doesn't mean they can or will invite you to join, but it is at least step 1. They might also be able to make recommendations about who IS recruiting this spring.

Recruitment at AU is extremely competitive, and just because it's informal doesn't mean it becomes less competitive, so be prepared and always put your best foot forward. All of the chapters are good, so if you make a connection with a chapter and they invite you to join, you should really consider accepting it in lieu of waiting for the fall. If you're planning on only joining Suzie Best Sorority during informal recruitment, you can forget it right now, for a whole range of reasons which will be explained if you do a search on SEC recruitment or recruitment in general. In short, BEST is relative and the chapters most sought after are the hardest to get in and will typically not do a publicly announced informal recruitment.

Check with the Greek Life office about grade requirements. They will be high and quite inflexible so if you don't meet them, then you ARE better off waiting for the fall and in the spring doing nothing but ensuring your grades are good enough.

And my guess is you will still need recommendations. Hopefully someone from AU will jump in to confirm/deny that. In any case they don't hurt and can help a lot.

Finally, do a thorough and exhaustive search of the posts here. You will likely get the answers you're after. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

i remember some auburn freshman who was interested in fraternity rush from a few years ago. OP, you might do a search such as "auburn fraternity rush" or
"spring fraternity rush auburn" and find some info.

be sure to ask some of your friends who joined fraternities in the fall. even if they are new members they could find out answers to your questions.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 12-13-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=82078

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=82075

I feel like they may have gotten off topic from skimming them but you can likely glean some useful information.

Also, don't whine about how they're "old." Its doubtful too much has changed at a Greek System like Auburn's in 4 years.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I'll step in, even though I'm old and not from the Southeast.

Nobody's going to tell you what is the right thing to do. You're not out anything by going through informal recruitment so you might as well give it a shot. However, keep in mind that not all, and probably only a few of the chapters at AU will do an informal/spring recruitment and will possibly be by invitation only. They are only allowed to recruit if they are not at chapter total and for most at AU that's going to mean early graduations and new member drop outs, so not that many spots.

Advise the Greek life office that you are interested in informal recruitment, and if you know any sorority women personally you should express your interest to them. That doesn't mean they can or will invite you to join, but it is at least step 1. They might also be able to make recommendations about who IS recruiting this spring.

Recruitment at AU is extremely competitive, and just because it's informal doesn't mean it becomes less competitive, so be prepared and always put your best foot forward. All of the chapters are good, so if you make a connection with a chapter and they invite you to join, you should really consider accepting it in lieu of waiting for the fall. If you're planning on only joining Suzie Best Sorority during informal recruitment, you can forget it right now, for a whole range of reasons which will be explained if you do a search on SEC recruitment or recruitment in general. In short, BEST is relative and the chapters most sought after are the hardest to get in and will typically not do a publicly announced informal recruitment.

Check with the Greek Life office about grade requirements. They will be high and quite inflexible so if you don't meet them, then you ARE better off waiting for the fall and in the spring doing nothing but ensuring your grades are good enough.

And my guess is you will still need recommendations. Hopefully someone from AU will jump in to confirm/deny that. In any case they don't hurt and can help a lot.

Finally, do a thorough and exhaustive search of the posts here. You will likely get the answers you're after. Good luck!
This is good advice for sororities, but not fraternities.

At the majority of colleges, the majority of fraternities (if not all) will hold a spring rush. It will be smaller than fall rush, but usually every fraternity takes a spring pledge class. I believe it is very rare not to.

If you know any fraternity members in your classes, ask them if they know when spring rush is being held. You can also check out the IFC website for Auburn. Good luck.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

AU Spring Rush

AU_WarEagle, I'm a sophmore at Auburn and was in a situation much like yours last year. In the end, it was simply a stroke of luck that I found a perfect fraternity for me, with brothers that are friendly and just an all around good bunch.

No, you do NOT need recommendations. A fraternity can offer you a bid at any time, heck even during the summer. I knew literally 4 people at Auburn that Spring, being an out of state student, but when I met them they accepted me and my life has been better off as a result

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to email me at bab0024@tigermail.auburn.edu and I'd be happy to help you
Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, my bad. I completely missed that part (that he's looking at fraternities not sororities), and also explains why 50 women hadn't already jumped in.

Good luck with your FRATERNITY recruitment, ha ha.

As an aside, Audis, I would refrain from publishing your email. Although it's true that the lunatics prey primarily on the young sorority women, I would bet you're not completely immune to the freaks out there.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi_Delta View Post
hang out with Cam Newton and you'll get a bid somewhere bro
Or a really good deal on a used laptop.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)