GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,599
3 members and 2,596 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 04-05-2008, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Lambda Beta - 22 Year Anniversary

So yea, I'm a few minutes late, but I received this e-mail about Sigma Lambda Beta celebrating their 22 year anniversary on 4/4/08.

Sigma Lambda Beta, La Unica Fraternidad Internacional Incorparada

April 4th, 1968 marked a historical day of mourning in America as the death of Martin
Luther King Jr. embraced the memories of the civil rights movement and his famous, " I
have a dream…" speech from the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC. Eighteen years later
on April 4th, 1986, eighteen men from Latin America, Africa & Asia in pursuit of fairness,
opportunity, and in the equality of all people no matter what their race, culture, or
ethnicity established the foundation of what would become the largest historical Latino
based, multicultural fraternity in America. Founded in the Midwest by the, " Almighty
Alpha Chapter, " at the University of Iowa, Sigma Lambda Beta has since then grown to
over 117 entities that consist of colonies, chapters and alumni associations from coast to
coast & in Puerto Rico. Today, Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Inc. (SLB)
celebrates twenty-two years of brotherhood, scholarship, community service and cultural
awareness across the nation.

Sigma Lambda Beta has made its mark as a premier fraternity recognized by national
greek councils such as the NIC, FLA & NALFO. Most notably, SLB is not sought to be the
oldest or the first organization to be established in the US but as the first and only to
revolutionize the greek community as a leader in innovation. To highlight some
achievements as one of the youngest fraternities of its kind, SLB has been the first
organization to be established at HBCU's, the first organization to reach all four
geographical centers of the US, the first to establish its own educational foundation, and
the only US fraternity in the Caribbean. Furthermore, the fraternity has become known as
the only organization of its kind to have international membership.

With young men of diverse ethnic backgrounds at universities across the nation taking
initiative to propel Sigma Lambda Beta into the next millennium, our alumni associations
are growing to contain the most elite professionals in America's workforce. In 2003,
Brother Louis Valente, Ph.D. earned his doctorate from the Rutgers University and today is
a post-doctoral scientist with the Gene Expression & Regulation Program at the Wistar
Institute (Univ. of Pennsylvania) . His research includes proteins that bind RNA for the
regulation of gene expression at the post-transcriptiona l level and he has been published
in many international scientific journals. In Illinois, Andrew Velasquez III has served as the
current director of the State of Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) while
Colorado's House District 32 has been represented by State Representive, Brother Edward
Casso. In 2007, Brother John Jacob Rodriguez, Ph.D. earned his doctorate from Prairie
View A&M University and became the first Latino in the country to receive a Ph.D. in
Juvenile Justice. SLB's alumni have also graced the media industry by such brothers as
Peter Mellado, REGO Magazine, Alex Perez, an award-winning television reporter for NBC
WMAQ-TV and Henry Guerrero, emmy award winner and executive producer for La Vida,
ABC WFAA-TV Dallas/Fort Worth. This year, journalist and author, Brother Murali Balaji
released his latest work titled, The Professor and the Pupil: The Politics and Friendship of
W.E.B. Du Bois and Paul Robeson. With many more accomplishments and contributions to
come in the next millennium by brothers and future associates, Sigma Lambda Beta will
continue to serve the needs and wants of our people to uphold itself as a pillar in
American society.

Congratulations guys!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
This year, journalist and author, Brother Murali Balaji
released his latest work titled, The Professor and the Pupil: The Politics and Friendship of
W.E.B. Du Bois and Paul Robeson.
I bought that book!!! A Lambda Beta wrote it? Ugh, now I have to take it back.

lol jk
Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

although I have never met a Lambda Beta, I would like to also congratulate SLB on their anniversary.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I bought that book!!! A Lambda Beta wrote it? Ugh, now I have to take it back.
Hey, hey, hey. What happened to Greek unity??

Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, Sigma Lambda Beta!