GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,153
2 members and 1,151 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I dunno about telling people you want them because they have potential to "help rebuild." It sounds like "we really need the numbers."
Yeah, you're right about the "help rebuild" bit. It's not a good way to say it. At the same time, there has to be reasons that you want that woman -- leadership or grades or shared interests or shared experiences or grades -- and telling her that specific thing and that you think she'd make a great addition to the chapter wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing that may help those PNMs feel welcome may sound a little harsh, but I have watched it work. Even if a chapter needs members desperately, it still needs to make cuts. By inviting every PNM back, the chapter looks desperate. If the chapter cuts a few women, maybe grade risks or the PNM who sulks during the party, the word gets out quickly. It shows the PNMs and the campus that the chapter may be small but quality is still a goal. Also, let the PNMs know that they are wanted by telling them and showing them. A friend of mine works with a struggling chapter and her chapter used the mentoring program to retain NMs. The women they felt might drop were assigned to an older member who was more like the new member. When that relationship was built, the older member began to introduce the new member to other members of the chapter. This (and making some strategic cuts) really worked for them. It is a slow process, it has taken them the better part of two years but for the first time they made quota this year and have the same number of members as the other chapters on campus.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
One thing that may help those PNMs feel welcome may sound a little harsh, but I have watched it work. Even if a chapter needs members desperately, it still needs to make cuts. By inviting every PNM back, the chapter looks desperate. If the chapter cuts a few women, maybe grade risks or the PNM who sulks during the party, the word gets out quickly. It shows the PNMs and the campus that the chapter may be small but quality is still a goal.
I agree, but with the advent of RFM, often the chapter will get pressure from their National and the Panhellenic advisor to invite the maximum. I think that the "bottom" chapters should be allowed to make those first cuts, not tons, but cut the women right away that don't meet their membership criteria, whether grade risks, poor self-presentation, terrible personalities, etc. Once those women are removed from FR, the process can continue with the "real" size of the PNM pool.

I have a somewhat conservative attitude about extension. I think that once all the chapters hit total or come close (or, in some cases, all chapters but one, not naming names) Panhellenics are OMG NEED ANOTHER CHAPTER NOW. I think the demand to be Greek should be just a little higher than the supply, so it is still seen as an honor to be Greek, rather than giving women more opportunities to join via raising total and extension. There are times when it is truly needed and time when it is not.

Last edited by violetpretty; 10-04-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I agree, but with the advent of RFM, often the chapter will get pressure from their National and the Panhellenic advisor to invite the maximum. I think that the "bottom" chapters should be allowed to make those first cuts, not tons, but cut the women right away that don't meet their membership criteria, whether grade risks, poor self-presentation, terrible personalities, etc. Once those women are removed from FR, the process can continue with the "real" size of the PNM pool.
Assuming these qualities make the PNMs undesirable to other houses too will this work under RFM? Won't it add those PNMs back to the invite list of the houses who have the lowest return rates?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Assuming these qualities make the PNMs undesirable to other houses too will this work under RFM? Won't it add those PNMs back to the invite list of the houses who have the lowest return rates?
No. If no houses invite a woman to return to their chapter, that women will be released from recruitment.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind that not all campuses use RFM. There are some smaller campuses with just a few chapters where PNMs can attend every chapter each night of recruitment, even pref. It's these campuses (campi?) in which I have seen these PNMs feel like they may not have been chosen, but left over. I think it's important for the chapters in this situation to be able to cut a few. If every one can have something, people seem to stop wanting it. This is the type of campus where my friend advises.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:18 PM

^^^This is true. Especially of deferred recruitment when you have been interacting with PNMs since fall. There are bound to be women that you just KNOW you don't want.

I'm not saying totally underinvite to the point that you shoot yourselves in the foot, but don't take on someone you feel strongly about just for the numbers.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^This is true. Especially of deferred recruitment when you have been interacting with PNMs since fall. There are bound to be women that you just KNOW you don't want.

I'm not saying totally underinvite to the point that you shoot yourselves in the foot, but don't take on someone you feel strongly about just for the numbers.
Exactly. We cut women who went on to receive bids from other sororities. It wasn't that they were not of sufficient quality to be Greek in general, they just weren't right FOR US.

I say, if your HQ is trying to make you keep everyone, cut who you want to cut anyway...if they are threatening to close you if you do, just tell them "we can either cut these women and keep some selectivity about us and stay open, or we can keep them and end up closed in a year after they tear the chapter apart and we get a rep for taking anything with an ovary. Your choice."
Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM

^^^Also, like I said in the "chosen" thread, I think the "pressure" on chapters to get numbers (via HQs) is greater at the larger schools with more competitive recruitments than it is in our area, 33.

XYZ at Big Southern University is pressured to invite back the entire PNM pool simply because every chapter there has 200 women, they have a HUGE home to fill, and more financial obligations.

On the other hand, XYZ at Commuter School University may not get the pressure to do so because all the chapters (for example) have like 40 women tops anyway, and they have no housing to worry about.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Eh, housing or not, if XYZ at commuter school is at 10 and total is 40, they're going to get that same pressure.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrie435 View Post
Are chapters allowed to give PNM's notes/ written letters during recruitment parties in formal rush as long as they take them back at the end and don't allow the PNM to keep it? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be like showing them something on a poster or a brochure... So, if a sister couldn't be there for some reason and had a close connection with a girl, or if there is a not-in-house legacy in the group, or something to that effect could they write a letter to the PNM and have an active member give it to her? Could an alum who knows her and perhaps wrote a recommendation for her write a letter that is given during a party?

I feel like it could be a very powerful recruitment tool in some cases (depending on how well you know someone). The thought that someone obviously took the time outside of recruitment to write a personal letter would mean a lot to some girls. Speaking for myself, I've always been more moved by writing than someone just speaking to me (but it could just be me)..

Anyone know if that is allowed??

I know this is old but I didn't see the correct response given. It's listed on page 94 of the green book.

Quote:
Resolved (1991), That all College Panhellenics and their member chapters shall incorporate the following into their recruitment programs as soon as possible:
*Eliminate all gifts, favors, preference letters or notes for potential new members until they have accepted bids.
That being said, I know that many campuses have a lax view of what "as soon as possible" means and still allow preference letters, twenty years after the resolution. Check with your campus's recruitment rules to be completely certain.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

This one's for the smaller groups again--heck, for everyone--