GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200

Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Question What is the next step in "Starting A New Local Sorority" at my college??

Hello, My name is Dolores and I have been wanting to start a new sorority at my State College. There is already a chapter there called, ZETA PHI BETA. Yet, I would like to start a new local sorority. I have two other students at my college helping me to preform this. I have met up with our state college, Director of Student Development and the Coordinator of Student Activities. I have more than six girls wanting to be in a local sorority. I have the "Organization Formulation Form" that is being completed. I understand it needs to go for approval with the CCG(Campus Coalition Government).

*My question is... Am I doing this right? Am I on the page to start a new local sorority or am I just making a club up in my state college?

*In starting a local sorority, can we pick our own Greek name that hasn't been chosen yet by a national sorority? And, if so... has "Delta Nu" been chosen yet? How do you know what is available to select?

Any advice, or answers would be greatly appreciated! I thank you for your time, and patience!

Respectfully,
Dolores
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

mmm did someone watch legally blonde a few thousand times?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Please read through some of the many threads here about starting locals. Some of them are harsh, but accurate nonetheless. The one thing you've got going for you is you're opening to calling yourself a club.

Are you intent on being a local? Do you mean Zeta Phi Beta is the only NPHC sorority represented or the only sorority period? Is there a reason why you aren't interested in Zeta? Is the campus in a position to desire expansion, whether it be a local or national sorority? Do you have a campus Panhellenic?

Regarding the letters, try researching NPC, NPHC, NIC, service fraternities, multi-cultural sororities, professional fraternities, etc. There are a gazillion of them out there. Typically the letters stand for something other than copyright or creative infringement from a popular movie.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

"Delta who? Delta NU!!!!!!"

Pick another name.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajIRSC View Post
Hello, My name is Dolores and I have been wanting to start a new sorority at my State College. There is already a chapter there called, ZETA PHI BETA. Yet, I would like to start a new local sorority. I have two other students at my college helping me to preform this. I have met up with our state college, Director of Student Development and the Coordinator of Student Activities. I have more than six girls wanting to be in a local sorority. I have the "Organization Formulation Form" that is being completed. I understand it needs to go for approval with the CCG(Campus Coalition Government).

*My question is... Am I doing this right? Am I on the page to start a new local sorority or am I just making a club up in my state college?

*In starting a local sorority, can we pick our own Greek name that hasn't been chosen yet by a national sorority? And, if so... has "Delta Nu" been chosen yet? How do you know what is available to select?

Any advice, or answers would be greatly appreciated! I thank you for your time, and patience!

Respectfully,
Dolores
http://users.dickinson.edu/~deltanu/
http://www.wagner.edu/campus_life/Delta_Nu

For answers to the other questions, search this site.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Please read through some of the many threads here about starting locals. Some of them are harsh, but accurate nonetheless. The one thing you've got going for you is you're opening to calling yourself a club.

Are you intent on being a local? Do you mean Zeta Phi Beta is the only NPHC sorority represented or the only sorority period? Is there a reason why you aren't interested in Zeta? Is the campus in a position to desire expansion, whether it be a local or national sorority? Do you have a campus Panhellenic?

Regarding the letters, try researching NPC, NPHC, NIC, service fraternities, multi-cultural sororities, professional fraternities, etc. There are a gazillion of them out there. Typically the letters stand for something other than copyright or creative infringement from a popular movie.

We intent to be a local sorority, because we we're told that is what we can do since there is no national sorority at our college. And, Zeta Phi Beta is the only sorority there at our campus(and it's mainly a black sorority, so we can't be in it). I along with several other girls have tried. Our college gave permission to be either "local" or "national". So, we thought to start local and grow to national level. We do not have a campus Panhellenic.

I will contact the NPC and ask for advice for further questions. I do appreciate your help. Any other advice, would still be helpful.

Respectfully,
Dolores
Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We intent to be a local sorority, because we we're told that is what we can do since there is no national sorority at our college. And, Zeta Phi Beta is the only sorority there at our campus(and it's mainly a black sorority, so we can't be in it). I along with several other girls have tried. Our college gave permission to be either "local" or "national". So, we thought to start local and grow to national level. We do not have a campus Panhellenic.

I will contact the NPC and ask for advice for further questions. I do appreciate your help. Any other advice, would still be helpful.

Respectfully,
Dolores
FYI - Zeta Phi Beta is an INTERnational sorority.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Respectfully,
Dolores
What does the NPC have to do with your starting a local sorority??

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Respectfully,
Dolores
So you and the other girls have tried to become members of Zeta? Please, do tell.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
.....(and it's mainly a black sorority, so we can't be in it)......
As Mike Myers posing as "Linda Richman the Coffee Talk Lady" would say, "Oy Gevilt!!"
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies,
All I ask is for your advice, your help for this. I now know Delta Nu is already a local sorority base out of Dickinson College. And Zeta Phi Beta is unavailable for us girls' to be in. So, from that said and done. What is your advice in starting a local sorority?

I plus the rest of the girls feel optimistic about this. We want to impact our college, our community by doing numerous community service. We want to make the word "sisterhood" known around our college. Inspire woman at our college to go further in their future career and goals.

We just would like to give back. We have to remember what use to be good, and make the best out of it. We really really do appreciate ALL your help so far. It showed us the pros and cons of a sorority, the behavior the some people have, and the advice that is out there.
So, Thank you!

Respectfully.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

An NPHCer can correct me if I'm wrong, but Zeta Phi Beta is not race exclusive. It is historically black, but that does not mean a white girl (or any other race) can't join. You just have to go about it the right way, and it sounds like you haven't.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ladies,
All I ask is for your advice, your help for this. I now know Delta Nu is already a local sorority base out of Dickinson College. And Zeta Phi Beta is unavailable for us girls' to be in. So, from that said and done. What is your advice in starting a local sorority?

I plus the rest of the girls feel optimistic about this. We want to impact our college, our community by doing numerous community service. We want to make the word "sisterhood" known around our college. Inspire woman at our college to go further in their future career and goals.

We just would like to give back. We have to remember what use to be good, and make the best out of it. We really really do appreciate ALL your help so far. It showed us the pros and cons of a sorority, the behavior the some people have, and the advice that is out there.
So, Thank you!

Respectfully.
In all honesty, you should focus your energy on your classes. Your English is atrocious.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
In all honesty, you should focus your energy on your classes. Your English is atrocious.

Thank you for your honesty. Once again, I appreciate it.

Any more negative comments?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Since your campus appears to be open to a national sorority (and some are international), I would start up your group with the intention of going that way, and contacting NPC may actually help. They may know something about your campus that you don't and the administration there didn't tell you, like it's been tried before and failed. Or not. Maybe an NPC sorority would be interested in going on campus if they know there is support there.

You might look through the NPC recruitment results thread and find some campuses that only have one NPC sorority represented and see if you can get more information from them.

Try this http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ghlight=colony
which is on a different subject but might give you some further research ideas.

And you have to understand the stupid questions we get here on GC. It's pretty easy to assume the worst.