GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,346
2 members and 2,344 guests
ForeverAOII, saphqueen

Old 03-31-2002, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Panic Room

I went and saw it on Friday. I was very dissapointed!!!

In the previews it looks like a great thriller but it is so not scary. What Lies Beneath was a much better movie, this movie didnt scare me one bit!!!

Anyone else seen it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2002, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
I have only herd bad things so I will not be shelling out any money to see this one.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I really liked Panic Room. It is basically exactly what I expected from the director, David Fincher (Fight Club, The Game, Se7en). It has some nice sequences, the CGI blended in with the real film was used to great effect to ascend and descend through the house to show the action.

Jared Leto is hilarious in this movie. Forest Whitaker was great in his role - a conflicted robber but I don't want to give too much away. There are certain parts where you just want to slap your forehead and say, "This is ridiculous!" a la when Jodie Foster is trying to get her cell phone (not giving too much away there).

It is a little subversive, although not as much as Fight Club or his other features. The only delimitation I'd place about my opinion is that David Fincher is one of my favorite working directors (along with Steven Soderbergh, Ang Lee, and Ridley Scott), he always gets attached to interesting projects.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AXPAlum
Thumbs down

I'm sorry, but I saw this one on friday, sucked big time. The movie felt like it was going soooo slow, and the ending was anything but good. Call me critical, but I expected more from Jodi Foster, this movie could have been much better I think.

Scary? Eh, I wouldn't classify this as a thriller in my book, go rent silence of the lambs, you'll be thrilled with that one more.

One Thumb Down
Old 04-01-2002, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

see, this is the thing..... i have seen worse movies than this one, BUT it is supposed to be a THRILLER and it is as far away from that as possible. That is why i gave it a "thumbs down". The movie in itself way, eh, okay
Old 04-01-2002, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

i LOVED the movie!!

was scared to death at certain scenes..and i don't scare easily!

great movie!
Old 04-01-2002, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
There's been a lot of buzz about this movie, but I think I'll wait til it hits Blockbuster or even cable.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw Panic Room and it wasn't my favorite movie of all time or anything but it did scare me. I'll admit it. I thought the best part about it was how fast paced it was. There wasn't a boring minute.
So ya I guess I'd give it a thumbs up
Old 04-01-2002, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think with all the visual affects and things directors and producers can do with movies, the question now-a-days is always, "did it scare me?" I think people get too wrapped up in being scared in a different way, like watching a ghost or horror flick type of scary. Panic Room wasn't "SCARY" but it was a thriller in the fact that the plot moved fast and left you wondering "what's next." I didn't leave feeling afraid or vulnerable in my home, but during the movie you play things out in your head going, "okay, this is what I'd do if I were her." So in that aspect, it was a thriller.

Hootie
Old 04-04-2002, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xo_sue
We saw it last Friday and was a bit disappointed. From the ads- you think that what they want from the panic room is the daughter and I think they should of went with that story line instead. Like the ex-husband was trying to get his daughter.

And speaking of the ex-husband- was he ugly or what?????? Be glad he left your character Jodie- I don't know how you could wake up to that face in the morning!
Old 04-05-2002, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xo_sue

And speaking of the ex-husband- was he ugly or what?????? Be glad he left your character Jodie- I don't know how you could wake up to that face in the morning!
ROFLMAO! Isn't that the truth? He looked twice her age and all washed up...how did he find a younger chic? Must be the money!

Hootie
Old 04-13-2002, 09:12 PM

Panic Room- a bit disappointing....

I just saw it on a rainy day matinee....all I can say is I am glad that I only paid $7.50 (that's Canadian dollars & matinee prices) to see Panic Room.

Dwight Yoakam is good as playing detestable characters;
first he was that abusive boyfriend in Sling Blade and then he was the ski mask dude Raoul in Panic Room.

It wasn't that scary though...it was more of a drama than a thriller.

What Lies Beneath was a good one...I love a good ghost story movie!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-14-2002 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

i just saw the movie yesterday and it was ok. i too thought the husband was way too old and all washed up to be jodie's husband. and there were a few times my bf and i were smacking ourselves and wondering why jodie's character couldnt have thought up better ways of dealing with her situation...
but hell a lot of her MacGyver ideas made me realize if it was me, i would have been totally azzed out.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought that movie was AWESOME! I am scared easily (and love being scared), but it wasn't the "ohmygawdI'mafraidformylife" kinda scared... it was the "oh-no-hurry-and-get-your-cell-phone-before-they-see-you" kinda scared. It was, for lack of a better word, a "panicky" movie. Everyone in the theatre I was in at Opry Mills were gasping all at once and sitting on the edges of their seats. It was great!
Old 04-14-2002, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Panic Room- a bit disappointing....

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
I just saw it on a rainy day matinee....all I can say is I am glad that I only paid $7.50 (matinee prices) to see Panic Room.
$7.50 for a matinee?!?! You have got to be kidding me! We pay $3.50 for a matinee and $7-8 for regular... maybe it's a location thing, but wow!