GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,322
2 members and 2,320 guests
Kevin, LaneSig

Old 06-25-2003, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I finished Sunday night and all I could think about was "HAHA Dursleys! " And the entire book I thought Umbridge was a Death Eater-
But how good was it to hear that Harry got Mr. Malfoy? Draco has to eat it now! And he jinxed them at the end, so they were like slugs! They SO deserve that! HEHEE! I love it!
I also ate it up when Dumbledore got into Fudge's face and told him how it was going to be- and now Percy has to snivel and beg for forgiveness.
Okay, where is the 6th book?
I am going to reread all 5 books and hopefully I can go SLOWER so that it at least takes a month, that way I will have my brain refreshed and my Harry fix for a bit.

Question: Does anyone know when the next movie comes out?

Facebook
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2003, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

the next movie (# three) will be out next June or July (2004)

I am now asking about the next book! How long until number 6?
Old 06-25-2003, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

OH- and leaving a bit of the moat because Flitwick admired George and Fred's good magic- that was an ide to them! I love that!

Facebook
Old 06-25-2003, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo

Question: Does anyone know when the next movie comes out?
It is slated for 2004. But I have not heard when in 2004. Hopefully early. But they will probably go for Thanksgiving again, or maybe if we are lucky Memorial Day Weekend!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard June 2004.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowbrightCS
the next movie (# three) will be out next June or July (2004)

I am now asking about the next book! How long until number 6?
JK Rowling has started the sixth book. But she no longer has a contract or deadline. So she can write at her own pace. In interviews she has said that she intends to finish the series and she has the final chapter written for book seven. So that is a relief. But there is no way to tell when she will finish book six. I think it might drive me crazy. LOL.

Can you tell I am a Harry Potter nut? And I read my first book at the age of 29.

There is a great interview with her at http://www.sundayherald.com/34715
Old 06-25-2003, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
My thoughts:

Sirius: I barely registered that he had died it went by so quick. And then when Harry was convinced that it hadn't happened....my heart broke for him. I wonder what he will do for a father figure now? Mr Weasley never really was for him, the memory of James has now been put in perspective by his jerky behavior as a teen (not that it is inexcusable, since most 15 year old boys are obnoxious). Moody is too crazy so it has to be Lupin I suppose.

George and Fred: I heart them. They single handedly rescued this book from being waaaaay too depressing.

Hermione: The voice of reason thing is a bit old. It's nice to be smart and all but I just ended up wanting to smack her sometimes. Has she no subtelty???? NEVER tell a teenage boy no like that, because he'll do it JUST because you said NO. Tsk tsk. Learn how to work with people without alienating them.

Ron: I heart him too. I was so happy when he stepped up at Quidditch.

Harry: I was soooo happy to see him get a personality, even if it was a bitchy one, lol. He is becoming a real person, not just "the boy who lived".

Dumbledore: I think he will do a Gandalf by the end of this series too. And what is up with his brother Aberforth? I noticed him mentioned here by Moody and I can NOT imagine that we will not be seeing him at some point. JKR wouldn't just let that go!

I am looking forward to seeing more about Harry's parents. JKR let him know that they were just HUMAN in this book, but now there has to be further developement- how did they get from extreme hatred to love? I want to read THAT!

Overall I really liked this book. I've read it three or four times now and it stands up to it - I always come away with a new detail that I hadn't noticed before, just like in the previous 4- which is why I LOVE them.

Predictions: we will see more Aberforth, more Lily and James, Harry will NOT die (he better not!), Neville is the one to go, Harry ends up with Luna or Ginny, unless we get a seventh book subsititution, which will REALLY annoy me.

I can't wait for book 7! Even though it probably won't be out til 2006 or something.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by lovelyivy84; 06-25-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Banned

Here is a site so you can see how obsessed you are over Harry Potter

The Harry Potter Obsession Quiz

I scored a 60%. . . guess I need to work harder Just a couple more points!

Sarah
Old 06-25-2003, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana
Here is a site so you can see how obsessed you are over Harry Potter

The Harry Potter Obsession Quiz

I scored a 60%. . . guess I need to work harder Just a couple more points!

Sarah
That was cute. I am only borderline obsessed. I scored a 30%. Just about to cross over to completely obsessed.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MooseGirl
Although some of you agree to this, I do not think Percy will become a death-eater.

I feel he is more likely to go the way of Barty Crouch Sr. - so anti-deatheater, so strict, that only the Law counts for anything, which means the Order is still working outside of the law and thus he still will not accept it....
I really cannot see him joining the dark Lord, although I do imagine him with a shrine to Crouch
*shakes head* I can see where you're coming from, but I guess I just have a different take and yes, sherbertlemons, I am writing a fic about this...

Percy grew up in a family where he felt alone. Bill and Charlie had each other, then there were the twins, then Ron and Ginny, the babies. Percy never had a concrete spot in his family, and I think half the reason he was so successful at Hogwarts is that he had a strong structure and rules to follow. Percy seems to like to be controlled, or be somewhere where he can enforce the rules that control. The Ministry was an obvious choice for him after Hogwarts, because it played to that strong work ethic and sense of duty to rules.

However, it seems to me that the Ministry is now going to be in complete chaos, and for Percy, it's going to be like being back at home: In theory, he knows where his place is, but the structure itself is unpredictable. The Death Eaters, on the other hand, have exactly what Percy is looking for: Loyalty, a sense of purpose, and members like Lucius Malfoy (although he did get carted off to Azkaban, which is a slight stumble there), who have the things that Percy wants: Money, power, respect, etc. Percy can be seduced by all of this, and I can see him joining the Death Eaters not because he's evil, but because they give him something that his family never could. I'm also convinced that's at least part of the reason why Peter Pettigrew betrayed James Potter; Voldemort offered him something that MPP couldn't. What that is, I'm not entirely sure, but it's there.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
On the Harry Potter quiz, I scored a

29% - Part time Potter fan. You probably have a real life.

(Yup )

Old 06-25-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
IF Harry wasn't the subject of the prophecy than he wouldn't have been able to pick it up. Its the nature of the magic that only the people that are in the prophecy may take it. Otherwise she is breaking her world rules. The magic wouldn't have been fooled.

Talking about how Voldemort in a way may have chosen Harry might being giving more a reference to the idea that trying to escape fate can seal it. His actions in avoiding his downfall cause his downfall. Pretty classic theme.

I think the prophecy is important because now we know that Harry HAS to kill voldemort. We always knew that Harry WOULD kill Voldemort, but now it looks like he might be the only person that can. Its important for Harry to know also because he probably never thought beyond being part of the fight against Voldemort.

Also, from a fiction writing perspective, it would violate the concept of the Hero if Neville turns out to be the person that Voldemort should have been after all the time. Most readers will probably feel betrayed, and feel that Harry went through a lot of nonsense basically as a kind of cosmic joke.

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
This post is going to be entirely speculation about the last two books, so if you don't want to read that, skip it.

The more I think about it, the stranger the prophecy is. At first when I read it, I had that "So what?" feeling that so many people did. I mean, of course Harry and Voldemort are connected, and of course one is going to have to kill the other. Haven't we understood that from the second or third book onward? Really, the only unique thing about the prophecy was the fact that it could have also possibly included Neville . . . and J.K. Rowling closes that possibility off by saying "But of course it's you, Harry, because of your scar."

From a completely literary standpoint, there's no reason why she should bring up that point just to immediately dismiss it. What she's doing is opening up the possibility of Neville being the subject of the prophecy while, at the same time, leading the readers to think that there's no way it could be Neville. And for those of us who have read the books, I think we've realized that a lot of things that happen that seem strange at the time later turn out to have some deeper meaning.

In short, I'm pretty sure that something is going to happen that re-opens the possibility of Neville being the subject of that prophecy. Otherwise there was no point to the fact that Rowling brought it up in the first place.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by James
IF Harry wasn't the subject of the prophecy than he wouldn't have been able to pick it up. Its the nature of the magic that only the people that are in the prophecy may take it. Otherwise she is breaking her world rules. The magic wouldn't have been fooled.
While I do feel that Harry is NOW the boy in the profecy (and I completely agree that V marking Harry sealed his fate), what if it was the Department of Mysteries that put the magic on the prophecies so only the subject can touch it? Could they have allowed Harry to touch it AFTER they changed the nameplate to reflect V's attack on Harry? By this I mean if V had chosen Neville (and then it would have been Neville Longbottom and the Philosopher's Stone. . . .) then Neville would have been the subject of the prophecy and the only other one to touch the prophecy. I do feel that it was Voldemort who chose the boy who was going to be his complete downfall.

Sarah
Old 06-25-2003, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
my dad is obsessed with the comparison between star wars and harry potter. he finished OotP last night and started in on it FOR ABOUT THE 10TH TIME. He's convinced that Harry is Luke Skywalker in disguise or something like that. i'm just glad that i have someone at home i can discuss harry with all day.

i took the quiz. i am 50% obsessed...Full time Potter fan.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Sherbertlemons, I do write fics, but it's a just-for-me thing. I think I have one posted on FictionAlley, under my IM name. Basicly my theory is that Neville wasn't born an almost-squib, but that the shock of seeing his parents tortured scared all the magic out of him. It's only now that he's getting it back.

James, I agree that Voldemort sealed the prophecy by trying to avoid it. In HP3, McGonagal talks about how the Potters knew that Voldemort was after them. Dumbledore must have guessed from the prophecy and sent both the Potters and the Longbottoms into hiding. The key point here, I think, is that Voldemort chose the boy who was most like himself, with one Muggle-born parent. Even though he preached the doctrine of pure blood, he knew that the one without it would be stronger. So it's not that Neville should have been the one after all. It's that Neville and Harry are linked in a very important way, thus opening the door for Neville to have a role in the endgame.

I really do hope that Harry does not die, but someome has to.

ETA: 94%. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Last edited by KappaKittyCat; 06-25-2003 at 03:33 PM.