GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,435
1 members and 2,434 guests
No Members online

Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
How on Earth does one know that EVERY SINGLE GLO at USC is not "measuring up" and that EVERY SINGLE SORORITY MEMBER ON on the Row is not deeply invested in those values?

Because they party?

I mean, WTF?

You really think that you are going to start a local, and women are going to want to join solely on the strength of you saying "heyyy PNMs, everyone else is not living up to their values!!!!! See, they're partying and junk!!!!"

Come on.

I mean, really.
Come on. I party too. Every college student does. But being Greek shouldn't be just about...partying more. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with partying. But being Greek should be about more than that. It should be about striving to do better, do more.

And in theory, it is. In practice here, it's not really.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2013 View Post
Come on. I party too. Every college student does. But being Greek shouldn't be just about...partying more. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with partying. But being Greek should be about more than that. It should be about striving to do better, do more.

And in theory, it is. In practice here, it's not really.
How would know if they don't practice it? You aren't in any of the houses, so you can't speak on what they are doing.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Are you talking about SDT or another NPC group? I thought SDT was fairly new and never intended to participate in formal rush.
SDT is fairly new, but they did intend to participate in formal rush. They did it for a couple years and then pulled out they didn't have enough members or finances to do it on the same scale as the other sororities. Ironically, as ellebud mentioned, they are an incredibly diverse sorority that is probably the closest to what the OP is considering creating. They are smaller, more alternative and have a very different type of sisterhood/sorority culture than the other nine, and for that reason they attract a different type of PNM who is into a more casual environment. They have a beautiful house too, very modern inside and brand new.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure the Greek community appreciates your outside perspective at telling them how much they suck at what they're supposed to be doing and that they will take your opinion under advisement.

Lol at it 'taking a colony' for them to 'reexamine' and come to the same conclusions you have. Why the fuck do you even care? Go be better than the GLOs you're not a member of elsewhere.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I'm sure the Greek community appreciates your outside perspective at telling them how much they suck at what they're supposed to be doing and that they will take your opinion under advisement.

Lol at it 'taking a colony' for them to 'reexamine' and come to the same conclusions you have. Why the fuck do you even care? Go be better than the GLOs you're not a member of elsewhere.
I care because the Greek community is a very important community at USC. I care because recent actions of just two guys have made news around the world. I care because I have many friends in fraternities and sororities that are constantly being negatively stereotyped by the bad actions of a few, and because most have had to make the choice between being involved in their GLO and getting good grades and being involved in anything else.

Why shouldn't I care, really? Please don't tell me that we shouldn't all strive to be more involved in the community and with our school. Non-Greeks likewise should give back to the community, but the Greek system here is very well-established and I admire what it has accomplished thus far, and I see them as the first to take steps here at USC. If GLOs head in a positive direction the university, non-Greeks, and the public would respect them better. If I hated GLOs, why would I bother with a local sorority rather than simply a club? Because as a member of a fraternity I see the importance and how special that bond is. As a member of a fraternity I see it can be difficult to find ways to get involved, but that doesn't mean we can't keep trying.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I can tell that you like research, I do too. However, and it's a big however, this is one area where all of the good research and well intentioned reading you've been doing doesn't mean squat. You've read about our values, ideals, philanthropies, and foundings, and that's great, but unless you're a member you can't tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing or how we are or aren't living up to our values. I can't go into another country and tell them how they should do x, y, or z to improve their country because I don't have the background or cultural context to give them an informed assessment. You're in a similar position here, and I believe your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Their are certainly issues present in Greek Life (not speaking about USC, but about the community in general). Unfortunately we have often earned the negative reputation we get, but if a meaningful change is going to be made it can only come from within our community, period.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Waaaaahhhhhh....

Am I the only one who reads the OP as crying, "Waaaahhhhh...I didn't get into the chapter I wanted (maybe they weren't top-tier enough or something) and now I'm going to start a new organization by claiming these orgs. no longer have values! Boo-Hoo!" I can't be.

I would rather be in the bottom-tier national sorority at USC than try to start a "top-tier" local as I cry about the values no longer meaning anything to the members. OP, you had your chance. Get over it. Move along and stop trying to put down the Greek Life on your campus. In fact, please go away.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I care because the Greek community is a very important community at USC. I care because recent actions of just two guys have made news around the world. I care because I have many friends in fraternities and sororities that are constantly being negatively stereotyped by the bad actions of a few, and because most have had to make the choice between being involved in their GLO and getting good grades and being involved in anything else.

Why shouldn't I care, really? Please don't tell me that we shouldn't all strive to be more involved in the community and with our school. Non-Greeks likewise should give back to the community, but the Greek system here is very well-established and I admire what it has accomplished thus far, and I see them as the first to take steps here at USC. If GLOs head in a positive direction the university, non-Greeks, and the public would respect them better. If I hated GLOs, why would I bother with a local sorority rather than simply a club? Because as a member of a fraternity I see the importance and how special that bond is. As a member of a fraternity I see it can be difficult to find ways to get involved, but that doesn't mean we can't keep trying.
You don't see an issue with telling other people they're not living up to the ideals of their organizations?

Shit, you and dnall should just have judgmental babies together.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You don't see an issue with telling other people they're not living up to the ideals of their organizations?

Shit, you and dnall should just have judgmental babies together.
LOL

@~/~~~~
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Well I live with 2 sorority girls. I know that they don't just drink and have sex all the time, but thank you for generalizing my concerns into black and white.

One is very involved in student government, volunteers, is double majoring, and was strongly considering dropping her sorority because it didn't enable her the time to have these extracurriculars, and she doesn't spend too much time at the house generally. She eventually decided to stay in the sorority because she decided that whenever she did have free time she'd have a group of girls to go out to the Row with. She and my other roommate both agree that their organizations rely mostly on social activities. I mean, that's what makes them successful and I understand how that is. My other roommate sees the philanthropic requirements as a nuisance, as do many of my friends in GLOs. It's not like since I'm not in a GLO I'm completely unaware of GLO members' mentality. Many girls are very involved in service work, many girls are very driven in their studies; that's a given. However, that seems to come in conflict with their involvement in their sorority rather than enhance their experience. What I'm saying is, it shouldn't be that way.

And hopefully that wouldn't take a new colony, and instead being on probation to have members reexamine the meaning of being Greek. So far it doesn't seem to have that effect, however. I personally see USC's Greek community as what should be the future leaders of a student body already comprised of incredibly involved, talented, well-rounded, intelligent people. And the Greek community already contributes a great deal; I just feel like it's missing the mark in other instances too.
OK, I'm sorry, but I just gotta say it.

How old are you? REALLY?

Heaven knows I love when current students come on here and are well spoken - it reaffirms my faith in the youth of today - but you sound like a 50 year old professor teaching a sociology course. It's more than a tad off-putting.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
They have a beautiful house too, very modern inside and brand new.
OK, I went to their website to look at the house, and while looking around, I saw that one of their rush events was making friendship bracelets. This is one of the cutest/coolest things I have ever heard of. How nice to be a kid again for half an hour.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Wait, why didn't you accept your bid during formal rush?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 PM

See her rush thread:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=117671

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I can understand why she made the choice she made during formal recruitment, but what I can't understand is how she's bashing the chapters she wanted to be a part of now. I would say you should give Peggy Olson a chance, if you're lucky enough to get one. From what others have said in this thread, it sounds like it would be a good fit for you, even if it's not a stereotypical chapter (which seems to be what you were looking for during formal).
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
I can understand why she made the choice she made during formal recruitment, but what I can't understand is how she's bashing the chapters she wanted to be a part of now. I would say you should give Peggy Olson a chance, if you're lucky enough to get one. From what others have said in this thread, it sounds like it would be a good fit for you, even if it's not a stereotypical chapter (which seems to be what you were looking for during formal).
What typically happens:

Girl goes through FR.
Girl has an unfavorable outcome (doesn't get a bid, gets bid and turns it down, etc.)
Girl decides to start local.
Girl bases that on bashing other sororities and what the other sororities aren't doing.
Girl alienates all sorority members.
Girl fails at starting local.
Girl has no shot at all of joining any other chapter because well, she spent an entire year bashing them.

Lakers Nation.