GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,058
1 members and 1,057 guests
Sarak24034

Old 09-02-2018, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Revolutionary Recruitment!

Hi all! I just recently completed the recruitment process at my university and wanted to share my recruitment experience with everyone! My university has thirteen chapter, so each will be named by one of the thirteen colonies!

Round One:

Rhode Island: I was very apprehensive walking into this house due to my preconceived ideas. I was so wrong though! I walked in and had a great conversation! Although appearance wise I didn't think I would fit in, I felt as if the girl rushing me was actually interested in me! I walked out and told my Pi Chi I was surprised by this house.

North Carolina: The conversation here was very rough although, I could tell the girl was really trying. It just felt forced and even when I was bumped, it didn’t get any better. I wanted to like this house but this was not a good first impression.

New York: I loved this house!! I had such a good conversation with the girl rushing me about academics and Mexican food. I just knew I could see myself here.

Virginia: I had really hyped this house up in my head because I had a few friends in it. I went in a felt so comfortable because I knew they would be rooting for me. I ended up having a great conversation with a girl who was very well matched to me. She was so sweet and gave me a lot of great advice about my major!

New Hampshire: This house was great! The girl and I had many common interests and she was from the same area my dad is from. We ended up talking about baby names and peacocks (random, I know). I felt like I could really be myself here.

South Carolina: This house was very calm and relaxed. I had three great conversations each time I was bumped. Although it was nice, I couldn’t see myself here.

Maryland: The girl I talked to was very well matched to me and we had a great conversation. I could see myself here and I could also see how great their sisterhood was from the very beginning. I knew a few girls from this house and they were all so sweet.

Massachusetts: I talked to two wonderful girls here. The first one was quieter and more reserved, and I was able to really talk about all that I had done in high school and my interests. The second girl was very outgoing, and she gave me a lot of great information. She really highlighted academics which is something I loved.

Connecticut: I came into this house feeling like it was a more alternative, “hippie” house. I didn’t know if I would fit in here, but all the girls were so kind and bubbly. I really enjoyed my conversations with both of the girls I talked to. After I walked out of this house, all the girls in my group were raving about it! Everyone had loved it!

Georgia: This was a newer house on campus and coming in I felt like the girls were going to be very cool and alternative. That description doesn’t really match me at all so I didn’t know what to expect. I had a good conversation here but didn’t love it.

New Jersey: Overall, I had a good conversation here and nothing was awkward. The girl rushing me was so nice to me and really made me feel confident. She knew what she was talking about when it came to their academics.

Pennsylvania: This was a holy grail house in my mind. I had so many cousins, aunts, and other family members in this house. I had gotten multiple recs and had such high expectations. They were crushed. I came out of this house disappointed with the superficiality that I had felt through my conversation. I didn’t enjoy my time here and to be honest, I was so sad that it wouldn’t be the place for me.

Delaware: I didn’t have any preconceived ideas about this house. I walked in with an open mind and was rushed by a super sweet girl. Although, this house would be the least memorable of the day. It didn’t stick out to me and I didn’t know if I wanted to go back.

I felt that overall I had a great round one and my feelings were pretty neutral at this time. I hadn't fallen in love with any and I hadn't ruled any out. I decided not to try to drop Pennsylvania because I had such a familial attachment to it. At the end of round one, I ranked my bottom three and kept the top ten. I ranked:

1. Delaware
2. North Carolina
3. Georgia

Old 09-02-2018, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm interested to see how this turns out!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Disappointed that my home state didn’t do so well in round one... but I’m pulling for good ol NC anyway!
Old 09-02-2018, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I love this theme! Pulling for Rhode Island, South Carolina and Virginia in that order!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 PM

I love your choice of code names! I've lived in New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, and it seems you liked all three during round one. Looking forward to finding out where you found your home!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

LOVE the theme! I feel as if I should be rooting for Pennsylvania to have a great second round, along with Virginia, Rhode Island and New York.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 PM

It is quite fitting that PA is the chapter with a trillion tons of family and expectations in it.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Did this person rush with Pearlygirl in the Rave thread?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Did this person rush with Pearlygirl in the Rave thread?
I was wondering the same thing! Would be interesting if they went to the same school, rushed at the same time, and ended up in the same chapter! Curious to see if they had similar opinions on different chapters, but of course we may never know!
Old 09-02-2018, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Round Two: Philanthropy

I was so nervous to get my list of invites back this morning. I was so scared I would be dropped completely or get very few houses back! I met with my group and we all got our lists back! I got 9 out of a maximum of 10 houses! I got Massachusetts, South Carolina, Virginia, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, North Carolina, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York back. I was so happy!!! I was dropped by Delaware, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Connecticut. Although I knew it wasn’t the place for me, being dropped by Pennsylvania was somewhat devastating. I wanted so badly to be a Pennsylvania, just to share the bond with my cousins and aunts, to sing the songs at weddings. But overall, I was ecstatic with my invites back!

Rhode Island: I was so surprised to be asked back to this house in all honesty, but I was so happy to continue to get to know them. I didn’t have a personal connection to this philanthropy, I could tell how much the sisters in the house cared. I cried when a girl spoke about her experience and I felt as if I could see myself really supporting this cause.

North Carolina: Although I had tried to drop NC, I was still happy to get to meet more girls and maybe have a better conversation. And I did! The girl and I had so much in common. Their philanthropy didn’t really stick out to me but I felt I could still learn to love it.

New York: I was so so so happy to be back here!!! I talked to the sweetest girl and the director of philanthropy at this house. The philanthropy was something that was already so near to my heart and something I had been involved with in high school. I walked out of this house and immediately texted my mom “I LOVE NEW YORK!!!!!!”

Virginia: I was excited to be back at Virginia! I left round one feeling like it could be my home. During round two, the conversation in this house was a little rough. The girl hadn’t been personally involved so she didn’t really have much to say and there were awkward pauses here and there. I left feeling scared I would be cut by this house for a “bad conversation” that wasn’t even my fault!

New Hampshire: I personally connected with the philanthropy and their initiative. I loved the girls I spoke with and could see myself growing as a woman here.

South Carolina: I had a very personal connection to this philanthropy! The girls were all so impressed by the cool, personal story I told them! I felt like I could make my home here.

Maryland: I didn’t personally connect with this house’s philanthropy, but I did end up crying because I missed my mom (lol). The girl rushing me didn’t know this though and she thought I was crying due to their philanthropy video, which was fine by me! I did like the philanthropy though.

Massachusetts: This house seemed cold and reserved about their philanthropy. It was somewhat forced and didn’t feel personal at all. I knew I loved their philanthropy before I walked in, but I left feeling like they didn’t love it.

New Jersey: I liked how personal the philanthropy was and how it affected those close to us. I liked that it was very hands on.

I still was very neutral and most of the houses I disliked first round had made up for it in the second round. I just chose the houses that were my least favorite conversations. After round two, I tried to drop 3 and kept 6. I tried to drop:

1. South Carolina
2. New Jersey
3. North Carolina
Old 09-03-2018, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Why did you try to regret South Carolina if you felt like you could make your home there?

Looking forward to hearing more

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-03-2018, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlygirl3 View Post

New York: I was so so so happy to be back here!!! I talked to the sweetest girl and the director of philanthropy at this house. The philanthropy was something that was already so near to my heart and something I had been involved with in high school. I walked out of this house and immediately texted my mom “I LOVE NEW YORK!!!!!!”
Old 09-03-2018, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I chose to regret South Carolina because I just felt I had better conversations at other houses. Overall, I was very neutral throughout recruitment so many of the houses could’ve been a good fit for me! I also did rank it where I could potentially get it back first if I was dropped from another one of my top six.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to reading where you are going for “6 house day”!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlygirl3 View Post
Round Two: Philanthropy

I still was very neutral and most of the houses I disliked first round had made up for it in the second round. I just chose the houses that were my least favorite conversations. After round two, I tried to drop 3 and kept 6. I tried to drop:[/FONT][/COLOR]

1. South Carolina
2. New Jersey
3. North Carolina
Please, please understand that you are NOT DROPPING any sorority. You are simply ranking them in order of preference to return.

If you visit 10 chapters and really "dropped" 2 or 3 of them, think how that affects the next round. Let's say the next set of parties is 5 max. You could have 5 parties, but you "dropped" 3 of those chapters in the prior round. Would you rather have only 2 parties to attend or have the chance to give the 3 that you weren't crazy about another chance and have a full schedule?