GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 958
1 members and 957 guests
No Members online

Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Beta Tau is "suspended" at Boston U

Zeta Beta Tau is "suspended" at Boston U, according to reports. Alcohol violations are alleged (also a party was thrown while guys were on probation for a previous party). Article with pics:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rat-house.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

This made a British newspaper? Sheesh, slow news day? I could see it being of interest locally, but internationally?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Zeta Beta Tau is "suspended" at Boston U, according to reports. Alcohol violations are alleged (also a party was thrown while guys were on probation for a previous party). Article with pics:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rat-house.html
I am curious why suspended is in quotes..... what did you intend to imply with that?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Slow news day? Putin invaded the Ukraine for heavens sake! It ain't slow, it's just a difficult (not soft) news day.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

ZBT has chapters in the UK. That may be the hook for the story placement.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Slow news day? Putin invaded the Ukraine for heavens sake! It ain't slow, it's just a difficult (not soft) news day.
Well, the story was published in The Daily Mail on Friday.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
I should have used the sarcasm font. I was being facetious.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I am curious why suspended is in quotes..... what did you intend to imply with that?
Not intended to imply anything, really, except as sort of a reminder that terminology and practice may differ rather wildly from campus to campus, IFC to IFC, and GLO to GLO.

As far as I've been able to tell over the years, sometimes "suspended" is virtually the same as closing down and rescinding the charter; other times / places it's a short period of what used to be called 'social probation," meaning no parties can be thrown, or just parties can't be thrown if alcohol is provided.

So -- to me -- it seems that a person really may have to do some additional reading / research to find out more or less how serious "suspended" is in any specific situation. Even with that extra work done, the actual level of sanctioning can still remain more than a little murky.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been in touch with some International Council Members and from what I was told both the Executive Director and Director of Chapter Affairs are currently at BU to conduct an overall chapter assessment and membership review on current active members. Personally, I would like to see the four members that were arrested expelled from the National Brotherhood and the current E-board replaced with better leaders. But that is just my opinion. I know our several Council Members are not happy with their actions by the chapter.

ZBT: "Brotherhood & Beyond"
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I should have used the sarcasm font. I was being facetious.
My bad. As is often the case, more caffeine was needed.