GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sure, if they're taken literally. Kids that age, especially young men often have a sense of humor which involves shocking and depraved talk, but does not necessarily involve action. For good examples of such humor, go look up dead baby jokes. Warning, NSFW. Reading the actual minutes, I get some indicators that there may be some issues, but I can't really distinguish between what is an attempt at humor and what is not. For all I know, the secretary thought it'd be a good idea to make the minutes funny and provocative so folks would actually read them.

I disagree that these emails show any sort of behavior aside from having the previously discussed sort of sense of humor. If it did, have any victims come forward? The only "victims" the article talks about is a couple of underage individuals who were furnished alcohol.

Reading through the comments, the "S&M Man" song is apparently sung by rugby players, members of the armed forces and has been a running cadence in the military.

I have a real problem with a public school apparently sanctioning a group for what appears to be distasteful, but constitutionally protected speech.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

My husband was a naval officer and a pilot-he never heard of that song. As someone in the comments section of the article pointed out, Wikipedia is not the most reliable of sources.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Which do you suppose is more likely--that the Wikipedia article is at least mostly true or that the fraternity wrote this song and created a Wiki link to throw the scent off--complete with multiple working links as citations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_S&M_Man
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

No. I'm sorry but that is NOT humor and is NOT okay when songs sit there and talk about cutting women up and shoving ice picks into their ears and screwing a corpse. That is not humor. That is when someone is in need of a psych evaluation because they have a future as a serial killer.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
No. I'm sorry but that is NOT humor and is NOT okay when songs sit there and talk about cutting women up and shoving ice picks into their ears and screwing a corpse. That is not humor. That is when someone is in need of a psych evaluation because they have a future as a serial killer.
Humor takes all shapes and forms. Just because it doesn't conform to your own personal standards does not mean they were advocating doing those things. It's shock humor. A low form of humor, sure, but to conclude that because they find that funny, they're all rapists (or whatever assumptions you're making) is absurd.

Again, many people find dead baby jokes to be hilarious. That doesn't mean they would find an actual dead baby to be humorous at all.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Humor takes all shapes and forms. Just because it doesn't conform to your own personal standards does not mean they were advocating doing those things. It's shock humor. A low form of humor, sure, but to conclude that because they find that funny, they're all rapists (or whatever assumptions you're making) is absurd.

Again, many people find dead baby jokes to be hilarious. That doesn't mean they would find an actual dead baby to be humorous at all.
We don't have a culture that excuses cutting up dead babies, while we DO have a culture that regularly excuses violence against women.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
We don't have a culture that excuses cutting up dead babies, while we DO have a culture that regularly excuses violence against women.
Really? Ever hear of an abortion?