GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,852
2 members and 1,850 guests
LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Just my opinion, but I would wait to see how much time your first commitment will take before undertaking another lifetime commitment.

Yes, there are people who are members of more than one org (I am, but at different schools), but I am guessing that they didn't pursue them both at the same time.

Take a deep breath, enjoy this time in OPA. You need to see how much of a lifestyle it will be. Best of luck.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to XSK_Diamond
Here's an option.

My sorority was founded just for nontraditional students and graduates like yourself, specifically for the reason you mentioned, among others. We accept women from junior/community colleges, trade or technical colleges, and distance learners - as well as 'nontrads' attending 4-year colleges and universities. Please take a look at our website (it's not fancy, but it does its job).

Whatever you decide (or have decided) to do, best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choca82 View Post
I was wondering what could i possibly do to start a new sorority. I want to specifically target the females who are currently going to school just to receive a certificate or an associate's degree. I know that most sororities only accepts undergrads and grads. Help please!

Last edited by XSK_Diamond; 10-03-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM

disastercookie:

I'd check out this sticky about starting new groups, it has alot of useful info:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=93174

Just a note: in order to bring any NPC sorority to a campus (whether it's new or has been on campus before), your school must be open for expansion (which is something that Panhellenic would need to vote on).

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

starting a local sorority

Hey! I am a sister of Alpha Gamma Delta and we are currently suspended for 4 years (for a situation that completely got blown out of proportion and we were "made an example of" for all other greek organizations). Last semester we initiated 18 new girls but after the incident that occured we were suspended and no longer allowed to do anything...at all. Sisters stopped coming around and barely anyone hangs out anymore as friend or sisters and it is discouraging to all of the new girls and to to the sisters who still want Alpha Gamma Delta to be a part of their life. We were discussing options, ways that we could bring us back together even if the means that we would have to leave AGD and start a local sorority at least we would have each other and all of our same goals for being in a sorority to begin with. We could even incorporate somehow that the history of the local sorority came from the history of AGD. Slight problem is that I've been searching online all day to find some kind of information about starting local sororities and what procedures need to take place and I'm completely left in the dark. Is there anyone who knows exactly what needs to take place for us to start a local sorority? Thanks!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

You looked online all day, but couldn't find the link in the post above you?

Yikes.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDBubbles View Post
Hey! I am a sister of Alpha Gamma Delta and we are currently suspended for 4 years (for a situation that completely got blown out of proportion and we were "made an example of" for all other greek organizations). Last semester we initiated 18 new girls but after the incident that occured we were suspended and no longer allowed to do anything...at all. Sisters stopped coming around and barely anyone hangs out anymore as friend or sisters and it is discouraging to all of the new girls and to to the sisters who still want Alpha Gamma Delta to be a part of their life. We were discussing options, ways that we could bring us back together even if the means that we would have to leave AGD and start a local sorority at least we would have each other and all of our same goals for being in a sorority to begin with. We could even incorporate somehow that the history of the local sorority came from the history of AGD. Slight problem is that I've been searching online all day to find some kind of information about starting local sororities and what procedures need to take place and I'm completely left in the dark. Is there anyone who knows exactly what needs to take place for us to start a local sorority? Thanks!
Don't start a local.

BTW, chapter are you from?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

honestly I looked at that link and checked a couple of the entries but it wasn't what i was looking for. We already have everything we need but we don't know how to go about starting it in the community what requirements, etc.

About the chapter that I'm from I'd prefer to keep it anonymous since it's kinda a touchy subject and you don't really know who is reading this thing...sorry!!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDBubbles View Post
honestly I looked at that link and checked a couple of the entries but it wasn't what i was looking for. We already have everything we need but we don't know how to go about starting it in the community what requirements, etc.

About the chapter that I'm from I'd prefer to keep it anonymous since it's kinda a touchy subject and you don't really know who is reading this thing...sorry!!
Nevermind...the email already told me.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 PM

If your campus suspended you, they're not likely to be cool with you starting a new local sorority or a new official group of any sort. If your bonds with each other are true, you'll stay close even without an active, official organization.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If your campus suspended you, they're not likely to be cool with you starting a new local sorority or a new official group of any sort. If your bonds with each other are true, you'll stay close even without an active, official organization.
Campus administration got involved. I'd wager that there's NWIH they'll be cool with a new (local) group.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd bet that even if campus administration hadn't been involved, the panhellenic council wouldn't look to highly on a group of girls that got their charter pulled starting a "new" sorority.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
I'd bet that even if campus administration hadn't been involved, the panhellenic council wouldn't look to highly on a group of girls that got their charter pulled starting a "new" sorority.
Weeeellll, I think something like that can depend on the campus, and why their charter got pulled. If the majority of Panhel/the Greek community thinks the chapter got screwed for a bogus reason, they might be very supportive of it.

But it doesn't sound like that is the case here.