GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,431
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zsamuljunior205
» Online Users: 2,331
2 members and 2,329 guests
oncegreek, zashlytopo8836

Old 01-21-2022, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Random sorority house stuff

Since this is an interesting topic I’m researching in my free time, I thought I’d share the interesting finds.

Alabama old and new houses (from 2016): https://www.al.com/entertainment/201..._2016_the.html

Alpha Gamma Delta Butterfield House at Syracuse (named after its architect, AGD founder Emily Butterfield). https://alphagammadeltahousing.org/our-story/

Ole Miss sorority renovations (recent). http://www.invitationmag.com/post/so...ow-renovations

Job shadow with a sorority house mom: https://jobshadow.com/interview-with...ity-house-mom/

Feel free to add on!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2022, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who went to a school with no houses, the elaborate southern houses never cease to impress me!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 01-22-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Since this is an interesting topic I’m researching in my free time, I thought I’d share the interesting finds.

Alabama old and new houses (from 2016): https://www.al.com/entertainment/201..._2016_the.html
Holy cow.

My husband and I live in New Orleans, and evacuated to Tuscaloosa after Hurricane Ida. I insisted on taking a drive around the University of Alabama campus while we were in town. I'd read (mostly on GC) about these ginormous and beautiful fraternity and sorority houses (and huge chapters - where I went to school, total was 80), and wanted to see them with my own eyes. (My husband, who never joined a fraternity, thought I was nuts. But I would've driven over by myself - for crying out loud, I own the car!)
Old 01-23-2022, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

https://www.al.com/entertainment/201...he_new_13.html

Phi Mu at Alabama. This article is neat because it answers some of the questions like, how do you have chapter with 400 girls? And where do they all eat? There’s a photo of the unbelievable chapter room, and the article states the dining room can hold 200. The other cool thing about this design is that they incorporated symbols like the quarter foil (sorry if I butchered the spelling) into the design.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting these *winter*.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

As much as I love to gawk at the Alabama houses, on an in-person visit, they're a bit much. The grandeur overwhelms the lots, and they don't feel human in scale. This is especially true of the Gamma Phi Beta house, with its four above-grade stories. I prefer Ole Miss's and LSU's sorority row. The redone Ole Miss houses do a great job making the facades still feel like houses rather than castles, even when there's a ton of room inside.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

When AGD, ADII and DDD moved over by DG, that freed up a lot of space on the row. With other moves, you have 3 new houses where 6 were before with a partial one on another lot. And the 4 new lots with DG were never sorority houses but rather dorms so those lots were bigger. but yes, they fill the lots though they mostly did before as well. There is no parking on the row now that there is a parking deck in the middle of the area.

Last edited by Titchou; 01-23-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

https://4hhousealumni.com/about.php

This is 4H House, which is a cooperative living facility at the University of Illinois that offers a sisterhood type experience for women from a 4H background. To my knowledge, it’s the only residential 4H facility of its kind.

It began as a way to offer lower cost living alternatives to women who came to college from farming communities who didn’t have a lot of money for housing but weren’t in a position to commute. It has evolved into something quite lovely, and reading about the alumnae, it seems that the women developed lifelong friendships (and some amazing careers. Interestingly, every recent alumnae profiled had a job lined up at graduation, so perhaps industry connections as well?)
Old 01-24-2022, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Univ of MN also has Clovia, another sisterhood with roots in 4H. They have a house. This is the beta chapter.
Alpha chapter is at Kansas State and they are housed.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

That was fun reading- thanks!
Old 01-26-2022, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Ole Miss sorority renovations (recent). http://www.invitationmag.com/post/so...ow-renovations
Feel free to add on!
Am I recalling correctly that Ole Miss greek homes used to only host chapter meetings, and possibly were living quarters for a very limited number of chapter executives?

If so, what made this campus change their style of greek living, and when did it occur?
Old 01-27-2022, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I can do more research when I have time but I know the DG house is very old....and the above article says the original KD house was built in 1927 - the others in the article in the 50s and 60s.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta at Ole Miss

http://pryormorrow.com/project/kappa...orority-house/
Old 02-01-2022, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Home of Leigh Anne Touhy and her daughter, Collins, of the movie Blind Side!