GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,385
2 members and 2,383 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Philanthropy/messy crafts round?
I believe today is house tours. And unless something has changed, tomorrow is skit/video day and then Sunday is preference. No one really does crafts, usually because there are so many women. Again, the last time I participated in recruitment there was August 2005, so things could be different.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

UGA does not do crafts. Today is house tours, Saturday-skits, Sunday-prefs. Bid day is Monday. From today onward it gets really intense so maybe they wanted to be a little laid back. I think it is a great idea this year.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnhalos View Post
UGA does not do crafts. Today is house tours, Saturday-skits, Sunday-prefs. Bid day is Monday. From today onward it gets really intense so maybe they wanted to be a little laid back. I think it is a great idea this year.
I'm kind of glad they're not doing crafts - for one, because not all sororities have a craft-accessible philanthropy, but mostly because with nearly 1500 PMNs, that would release toxic levels of glitter into the atmosphere.

I'm so excited for the seventeen sororities - I can't wait to hear the bid day results!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

lol-brave maroon!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

BraveMaroon: ...that would release toxic levels of glitter into the atmosphere.

Laughing my butt off picturing a cloud of glitter hanging over Athens, GA!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

They have pics posted of the PNMs in their tees. They all had to wear the same tshirt today. Spotted Online Athens is the site. They look more relaxed today.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

But aren't they oddly plain t-shirts? Maybe they need to walk into that cloud of glitter or something, but couldn't they spring for 2 color printing at least?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

When did they start doing the t-shirt round? Anyone know?

I think that a dressed-down day is a great idea because it really takes the pressure off the girls to wear the "perfect outfit."
Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

T shirts started this year. Daughter's shirt was a v neck with the name of the sorority on it. The girls got shirts in one of two of the sorority colors. I think all the houses did the same but can't say for sure. Maybe the PNM shirts were in the color that was left over??
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin had a GREAT time today! She really got to know all the houses/girls better. Her 2-3 favorites still remain in tact and she's hoping that they do not cut her tomorrow. Those 2 houses that she didn't really see herself connecting fully with? Turns out that she had some really deep, meaningful conversations with the girls at both houses. They are still not in her top few, but she has now changed her mindset in that she would totally be content with pledging to either of them, if she is not fortunate to get any more invites. I could tell by talking on the phone with her for a few minutes, that she is very anxious/nervous for tomorrow.

Her friend's day went pretty well too, from what I hear!

Hopefully everything turns out well for them both!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I beginning to feel like a crack addict.....While my daughter had a fabulous day with 11 of 12 events to attend, she was very excited not to have received the middle of the night phone call (as she did last year) to let her know she was "released from recruitment". Her 6:45 a.m. text today told me her list includes 2 events. She is really bummed at the moment and VERY nervous that she could be released after this round. I've given her the Be Strong, Stay Strong talk, etc. and she'll be fine going through today. She's told me she's focusing on today only and not looking to the what ifs of being released. She thoroughly likes the houses for today but is sad to lose her favorite 2. Today is skit day so that means she can sit back a little more and take it all in and not be as focused on the short conversations that Rd 1 and 2 bring. As we heard at the Panhellenic family session, wonderful engaging conversations at a house can sometimes mean that you are still released from that house. It is such a numbers thing and that is unfortunate. That's a hard one to swallow for these girls.
From anyone's experience at UGA, can you shed some light on when/how quota will be determined. With close to 1500 girls participating (and quota at 62(?) last year), will the sororities want to become jumbo size? ....as if there aren't already!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quota is determined on a variety of factors but is more or less the number of girls attending pref parties divided by the number of chapters. That's not EXACTLY it - they play with the numbers a bit to maximize the number of girls placed - but they don't set, as far as I've ever heard, a maximum amount they feel comfortable with. At Arkansas last year, quota was 100, and you can believe NOBODY was comfortable with that number.

A general rule of thumb you can use is the number of girls at each preference party will be pretty close to the number of girls in a pledge class. Or that's how it's worked in my experience. I can't say for certain it works the same with these whopper chapters.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know how many invites the girls can receive for today? I have one young friend going through. She emailed that she went to eight houses yesterday so I am crossing my fingers for today. PS- Thanks for the links to the pictures. It brings back such memories even though I went through in the "olden days"!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

This morning a pnm may receive up to six invitations. Tomorrow she may receive up to three invitations.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Round One – During the first two days of Recruitment you will visit each sorority for 20 minutes.

Round Two – These events are 20 minutes long and if invited you may attend up to 12.

Round Three – Events are 40 minutes in length... If invited, you may attend up to six events.

Preferential Round (Prefs) – Events are 50 minutes in length and if invited, you may attend up to three preferential events.