GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,108
4 members and 2,104 guests
John

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Living in the Louisville area, I would say this is correct of the most part. Out of seven chapters, I would say three of them are a little more selective with sophomores as in looking for leadership, GPA, etc.
That's my understanding as well. No guarantee you'll get a bid to your first choice dream chapter, but sophomores can receive a bid there.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Apparently referring to new members as babies is not going away anytime soon. Pull up #bidday on Twitter, and it's full of "can't wait to meet the baby..." Deltas, Alphas, Angels, Snakes, Squirrels, Pandas, etc. Although I think this one was kind of funny and different: "I'm a Zeta Potata and I can't get enough of our Zeta Tater Tots." And this is the worst: "all the babies are coming to the litter box today!!!"
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
And this is the worst: "all the babies are coming to the litter box today!!!"
that better NOT be Theta. Bettie Locke Hamilton will rise from her grave and there will be hell to pay.

Don't tell me, don't. Just don't.

For the final time: we don't have a mascot. We don't have babies, either.

ETA: she also posted this: "BABY KITTENS... RUN TO YOUR NEW LITTERBOX AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!! THOUGHT THETA, THOUGHT RIGHT! "

Way to represent us. I would be so excited to join an organization that encourages me to use a litterbox. SMH.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 08-14-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I hate the baby trend. HATE. I know Alpha Phi sent out a notice that the terms is NOT to be used to refer to our new members. I want this trend to die quickly.
Has Alpha Phi come up with a different term for them?

I think that I see it less among the groups that have an official term for their new members (Phis, Pearls, etc.), because I understand why nobody wants to call their NM's new members.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM

There is an excellent blog post (I think it may have been written by an APhi Consultant) about the whole "baby" thing.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding that Louisville tweet, that makes no sense to me as an alumna who both works on campus and assists with my chapter's recruitment. So it sounds like she is a sophomore who got dropped by all houses and her Rho Chi tried to make her feel better by suggesting she join more activities?

I will echo what the others said: sophomores (and sometimes even juniors) often get bids are UofL. But the top recruiting chapters ARE very selective about which and how many sophomores they take during FR...if you aren't friends with several members and/or a well known campus leader, you aren't going to get a bid to one of the top recruiting chapters during FR. And my observation would be that if you don't meet those qualifications, but have an open mind, you stand a good chance of receiving a bid to another house on campus. Overall, it is NOT a "sophomores don't stand a chance" campus.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Bettie Locke Hamilton will rise from her grave and there will be hell to pay.
Oh.My.Stars. Someone call somebody and get that horrible tweet taken down!

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 08-14-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: haste makes waste
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
that better NOT be Theta. Bettie Locke Hamilton will rise from her grave and there will be hell to pay.

Don't tell me, don't. Just don't.

For the final time: we don't have a mascot. We don't have babies, either.

ETA: she also posted this: "BABY KITTENS... RUN TO YOUR NEW LITTERBOX AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!! THOUGHT THETA, THOUGHT RIGHT! "

Way to represent us. I would be so excited to join an organization that encourages me to use a litterbox. SMH.
Litter box? Good grief. Since when are Thetas called kittens anyway?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

KAT = Kittens, I guess.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
KAT = Kittens, I guess.
Funny thing: I just had a conversation with another GCer and it's actually a "Theta" (a th sound) so would be KATH. In order to be KAT it would have to be TAU. And it isn't, so KAT is inaccurate.

Yes I'm still riled about this.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Today, as I was looking at my facebook news feed, I saw a post on a girl I went to school with wall. (Very awkward wording, sorry about that) She's currently going through recruitment at a school with a very large and competitive Greek system. The girls were talking in paragraphs, so I'll just paraphrase what they were saying, cuz I thought it was kinda.. well, silly.

Girl 1: How's rush?
Girl 2: It's ok. I'm having an average rush. It's stressful and it's not fun seeing who doesn't want me back. For rush, if you dress classy you'll get every house you want!
Girl 1: Really? So i can't dress like a skank? Btw, I heard XYZ sorority is liking you a lot!

I couldn't help but be shocked by the final comment. I wonder where this girl was getting her information..?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for this, IHQ!

Quote:
Alpha Gamma Delta ‏@alphagammadelta Getting ready to welcome your new members? We recommend calling them "new members" instead of babies. They are wonderful, intelligent women.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
I wish I could check PNM's statuses. My school requires that actives deactivate their facebook the night before freshman move into the dorms and until after recruitment is over. I'm going through fb withdrawals even though its only been 28 hours :P
Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
Thank you for this, IHQ!
I was thinking to myself "what would be a good name for AGD's NMs?", and the first thing that popped into my head was "their flower is the carnation, maybe they could call them carnies."

Which is WRONG for two reasons.

Okay, clearly I need more sleep.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I was thinking to myself "what would be a good name for AGD's NMs?", and the first thing that popped into my head was "their flower is the carnation, maybe they could call them carnies."

Which is WRONG for two reasons.

Okay, clearly I need more sleep.
I figured that some members of Alpha Gamma Delta would refer to their new members (not that this is acceptable or right) as baby squirrels. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to new Phis as baby lions. Have you?