GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,456
0 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online

Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Transfering

I am a brother of an IFC affiliated large national fraternity. I am considering transfering to a different school, but my fraternity does not have a chapter on that campus.

Assuming that school is not open to me starting a colony there.. do I have any options for joining a different GLO that is governed by the IFC? I really want to continue greek life there, ESPECIALLY as a transfer since it can be hard to meet new people as a transfer. What can I do?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-14-2006, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lbk_kpd
The short answer is you can't. Once you have been initiated into a national organization, you are a member for life, and are therefore rendered ineligiable for membership into another group.

The only option you might have would be to join a local GLO on your new campus. According to national rules, you could hypothetically be a member of both a national and local organization; however, the rules for individual local organizations may vary and they may not permit you to become a member if you have previously been initiated into any other organization. I am a member of a local organization, and our rules stipulate that an individual is only eligiable for membership if they have not previously been initiated into any group, local or national.

I would do some investigation on the specific campus you are looking into transfering to: see if they have local organizations and what those particular requirements are. If you are also considering colonizing a new chapter of your current org, you could probably find info on that on the college's website as well (i.e.- if they're open for extension, etc.)

Hope this helps!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbk_kpd View Post
The short answer is you can't. Once you have been initiated into a national organization, you are a member for life, and are therefore rendered ineligiable for membership into another group.
This is not true. There have been instances where men have joined more than one fraternity.

While it is true for NPC sororities and NPHC organizations, the rules aren't so cut and dry for fraternities.

To the OP, it would really depend on what the new fraternity policies say.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

While when transfering and re-affiliation is few and far between, it has happened in a very, very limited bases.

I would not plan on being released from your bonds of Brotherhood.

Check out the situation on the possible new school and with your National to get anymore ideas of a possible colonization.

Either put on more info or PM me and we can discuss it off site!

Well, either way, the best of luck.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
While when transfering and re-affiliation is few and far between, it has happened in a very, very limited bases.

Tom is correct. You need to be released by your inter/national office before you are allowed to join another IFC/NIC fraternity.

Quote:
By-Laws of the North-American Interfraternity Conference

Section 1. Membership Requirements.

(3) Be mutually exclusive of and in competition with other general fraternities, meaning that no member fraternity shall initiate a member of another fraternity until such time as the second fraternity shall have been formally notified in writing by the national office of the first fraternity that a candidate for membership in the second fraternity is no longer regarded as a member of the fraternity.