GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,750
3 members and 2,747 guests
3DGator, Phrozen Sands, zalexisopz9425

Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Women’s Fraternities at the U-C Berkeley from 1880 – 1902

This post is from one of the sections of my dissertation. It is from the chapter that looks at individual campuses that had either five, six, or all of the seven founding National Panhellenic Conference organizations prior to the 1902 founding of NPC. What is most fascinating about these narratives is the manner in which the chapters were chartered. There were no hard and fast rules about extension in the late 1800s.

The University of California at Berkeley was chartered by the state of California on March 23, 1868. Women were admitted to the university in 1870 and their admittance took place without significant controversy. By 1880, there were 55 women and 213 men enrolled.

To read more and to see a picture of the Gamma Phi Beta Chapter read the rest of the post at:
http://wp.me/p20I1i-cK
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Thanks for sharing! I'm curious, what campuses had 5, 6 or all 7 of the founding NPC orgs prior to the founding of NPC?

"Three Gamma Phi Beta alumnae living 50 miles from Berkeley served as a committee to investigate Tau Delta. On April 29, 1894, the four Gamma Phi Beta alumnae installed the chapter at Berkeley (“History of Eta Chapter,” 1913)."

Today, we so take for granted what enthusiasm these women had for establishing new chapters. It was not exactly like hopping on the freeway or catching a plane and sending out a team of leadership consultants to set up a table or conduct interviews! For a woman to travel 50 miles to Berkeley in 1894 could not have been easy, comfortable or inexpensive and you probably suffered some raised eyebrows from your neighbors and maybe even your husband who wondered what exactly you were doing. Glad they were willing to be risk takers!

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The Omega chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta was established at UC Berkeley in 1890; three Thetas from the Phi chapter (located at University of the Pacific) transferred to Berkeley and petitioned to establish a Theta chapter at UC.

The Omega chapter facility was designed by Julia Morgan, an Omega Theta and an architect of some renown (think Hearst Castle, for example).

I'd also like to see a listing of the other campuses that had NPC chapters prior to the founding of the NPC!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hearst Castle is gorgeous. I'd like to visit it sometime.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly! These early members were committed to their organizations and they gave of their time, treasure and talent to help make them grow.

The campuses that had seven chapters - Syracuse, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. The first three had a president in common - Erastus O. Haven, Gamma Phi Beta Founder Frances Haven's father.

Campuses with five or six chapters - UC Berkeley. Goucher College, Boston University, Nebraska, Stanford.

Campuses with four chapters - DePauw, Indiana, Simpson College, Cornell University and Ohio State

Illinois is missing from this list as it really was a late comer to the game (mid-to late 1890s as I recall), but it made up for it in the homestretch.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Hearst Castle is gorgeous. I'd like to visit it sometime.
It is...although I think the views and the natural surroundings are still the best part and make up up for some of the gawdiness. Even today, the location is somewhat remote. When I think about Phoebe Apperson Hearst traveling to Hearst castle I just can't imagine how difficult it was to get there in her day!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
It is...although I think the views and the natural surroundings are still the best part and make up up for some of the gawdiness.!
Tastes truly do change, and we can be so thankful for that.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
The first three had a president in common - Erastus O. Haven, Gamma Phi Beta Founder Frances Haven's father.

Illinois is missing from this list as it really was a late comer to the game (mid-to late 1890s as I recall), but it made up for it in the homestretch.
Here's some additional trivia:

The Chancellor E. O. Haven Award is awarded at each convention to the Gamma Phi Beta collegiate chapter with the highest GPA over the past biennium.

Omicron chapter at the University of Illinois (chartered in 1913) was co-founded by Frances E. Haven Moss, whose husband was a professor at Illinois. It is the only Gamma Phi Beta chapter that was founded by one of the original founders. She is also the only founder to have a daughter join Gamma Phi Beta, and as I've previously posted, she has descendents who are current collegiate and alumnae members of the Sorority.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 07-14-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Tastes truly do change, and we can be so thankful for that.
Yes, and you have to remember that WR Hearst used Hearst castle to impress and entertain his Hollywood friends, so that explains a lot of the "over the top" aspects of the property as you see it today. I personally love the Hollywood Regency style of the 30's and 40's...just maybe not a dining room full of armor....

I'd have to give Ms. Morgan a lot of credit for ultimately saving the property at San Simeon from being developed into thousands of houses. Had the Hearsts only built a more modest vacation home, it probably wouldn't be standing today. I believe there's still a part of the property used for ranching.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

More Greek History at Cal

Delta Delta Delta was founded at University of California at Berkeley in 1900. The chapter house is located on Waring Street. It was the first Cal chapter house to be designed and built as a sorority chapter house by the noted architect of the day, William Wurster. Wurster Hall on the Berkeley campus is named after him.

He designed the chapter house in the 1930's. In the decades since the original house was built it has only been occupied by members of Delta Delta Delta and House Directors.

The Pi chapter was the first Tri Delta chapter to be founded in California. Later the Stanford chapter was founded in 1908 and University of Southern California in 1921.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

This year's Model Initiate at the Chi Omega convention was from the UC Berkeley chapter.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Great entry!

UC Berkeley was a powerhouse for sororities, as evidenced by the blog entry/dissertation section. Beyond 1902, the campus was home to the first chapters of the following nationals:

Pi Sigma Gamma (founded 1919, 4 chapters, merged w/ Beta Sigma Omicron, merged w/ ZTA)

Alpha Sigma Delta (merged w/ Lambda Omega)

Lambda Omega (merged w/ Theta Upsilon, merged w/ DZ)

The perpetual bonds of friendship
Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Love this thread! Early sorority history is so fascinating!